Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

garage layout advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Red Gump
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default garage layout advice

to date I've been blessed with free storage of my racing stuff but that looks to be coming to an end. I had a feeling the day would come so I had my garage built big enough to provide room but I need efficiency because it's smaller than the double bay I've been using.

what do you guys do for tire storage? where can I find wall racks or is it better to just build something? I have 2 sets of vette wheels/tires and 4 sets of miata.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Z07coupe
Racer

Red Gump,
1. I bought a couple furniture movers dollys, roughly 24" x 24" or so from Harbor Freight, and laid a piece of plywood on the top and then stacked my tires/wheels. They can be easily moved and they are up off the floor. When it's time to load onto the trailer, just push the stack out the door.

2. If you want pretty, get the Tire Rack tire storage bags. If you want it on the wall, get the Tire rack tire storage rack (or fab one).
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...re_storage.jsp

3. Here's an interesting forum about garages:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

4. How did you find the name Red Gump?
Old 02-05-2008, 04:22 PM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

i built mine from 2x4's 3 rows in 8 feet

red gump is Forrest's younger brother
Johnny
Old 02-05-2008, 04:29 PM
racerbob4
Instructor

We bought 4 shelving units that are 18" front to back and about 4 or 5 feet long from Costco. The tires fit perfectly on the top area if you leave the shelf off. The rest of the shelves are for cargo boxes for parts, oil, and tools. Believe me we have a lot of things on the shelvers. I think Costco had them for sale at around $50 per unit. They are pleanty strong enough for mounted wheels.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Red Gump
Race Director

Originally Posted by racerbob4
We bought 4 shelving units that are 18" front to back and about 4 or 5 feet long from Costco. The tires fit perfectly on the top area if you leave the shelf off. The rest of the shelves are for cargo boxes for parts, oil, and tools. Believe me we have a lot of things on the shelvers. I think Costco had them for sale at around $50 per unit. They are pleanty strong enough for mounted wheels.
we don't have a costco, we have lowes and home depot though, got pics? maybe I could find something similar.

the tirerack wall unit looks great but I'd need 3 or 4 of them from the looks of it. they don't list dimensions.

gump is a college nickname that came about with the movie--buddies said "holy crap, red is gump!" been using it as my handle ever since. one of my best friends is named forrest as it turns out, lol.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:44 PM
z28cp
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Gump
they don't list dimensions.
Dimensions..... http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...orage_rack.jsp
Old 02-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Heres what I started with:

To this:

Been a long haul and about $6K to rehab the ceiling to accomodate the lift, insulate, paint, put up the cabinets and shelfing, and install the door. This past Saturday I had the temps so hot (72 degrees on the wall mounted display) that we had to open the garage door to get some "cooler" air in! :2thumbs:

Just got the permit to connect the second power source to the meter base... Life is getting ready to get back to normal! Can't wait to have full use of my lift again!
Mike
Old 02-07-2008, 06:09 AM
Z07coupe
Racer

Here is the link to Costco http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...lang=en-US&s=1
It can be ordered over the net. It probably has to be purchased by a member. Maybe someone on this forum could order it for you and have it delivered to you. I like the addition of wheels. Makes cramming stuff into the corners easier. I would order for you, but not a member.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Red Gump
Race Director

Originally Posted by z28cp
thanks. guess I didn't scroll down far enough. looks like I'd need 3. wonder if I could build something for less.

mike, how much to ahve you come down and straighten my garage?
Old 02-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Red, It cost me $6K to do what you see there and have it all ready to move into. We just got the final permit to have the 200 AMP service run, so within the next few weeks I expect to know how much REC will charge for the hookup...

Those STACK-On cabinets from sears are the hot ticket in my opinion. I like the construction and the price...
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To garage layout advice

Quick Reply: garage layout advice