Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please share your Roebling Corvette videos.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:07 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Please share your Roebling Corvette videos.

Making my first visit to Roebling this month and I would like to get a head start. I'm pretty familar with the track layout as I have watched many "other car" videos, but I would like to see some of you take on that track with your vette.

I really want to see your line, braking and shift points. Anyone have any data logging they can post or e-mail?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

(2003 ZO6 w/ Nitto 555R2 stock everything else.)

Old 02-05-2008, 04:46 PM
MongoZ06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My best advice is to do a ride along with someone who knows the track very well. Videos and verbal/written advice can help but it doesn't compare to a ride along.
When I went last month I did a ride along with my instructor and in just those few laps I learned a lot.

Have fun
Old 02-05-2008, 06:01 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
...but I would like to see some of you take on that track with your vette.

I really want to see your line, braking and shift points. Anyone have any data logging they can post or e-mail?
All of my stuff is thru the windshield of my Vette(s). You should also check out: http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks...tml#TrackFacts

It's one of the best sites you'll ever see for track info!!!!! ...to include "Hot Lap" write ups.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:37 PM
BBQ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you going with the bimmer guys Feb 23-24? I will be there too.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:44 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BBQ
Are you going with the bimmer guys Feb 23-24? I will be there too.
I only registered for Friday, but if there are still spots open for the weekend I'd love to go. Do you know if the bimmer club allows passengers or is it a instructor ride along only?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:43 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Here's some crappy video I took last weekend - which was my first time at the track and first time ever in this car on any track. The video is poor, but the driving line is close (IMHO) and the shift points worked well for me all weekend. At Roebling, just take it easy when you first get out there for a few sessions, and focus ONLY on driving on the right line. If you try to go fast and you're offline, you will end up in the dirt... ask me how I know!

The advice about a ride-along is very well-founded, it makes a huge difference! My first 3 laps were in a Chevy 3500 Dually with an instructor - and they were probably the most valuable laps all weekend!

Good luck, I think it's a very fun track and I'm looking forward to getting back down there in a couple months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taE2Ui5Gl0A
Old 02-06-2008, 11:22 AM
floor it
Racer

Originally Posted by mikahb
Here's some crappy video I took last weekend - which was my first time at the track and first time ever in this car on any track. The video is poor, but the driving line is close (IMHO) and the shift points worked well for me all weekend. At Roebling, just take it easy when you first get out there for a few sessions, and focus ONLY on driving on the right line. If you try to go fast and you're offline, you will end up in the dirt... ask me how I know!

The advice about a ride-along is very well-founded, it makes a huge difference! My first 3 laps were in a Chevy 3500 Dually with an instructor - and they were probably the most valuable laps all weekend!

Good luck, I think it's a very fun track and I'm looking forward to getting back down there in a couple months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taE2Ui5Gl0A
http://www.sportscardrivingexperience.com/
Went to Roebling Road with Henry Gilberts schoold and had a ball
have vidio of it but am having trouble getting it up loaded. I am with you I loved the track.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:29 PM
jster171
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got some good data from my last visit there. Its via Traqmate, will this work for you? If so, email me at jster17@bellsouth.net and I'll send you my fastest lap.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ride-alongs at Roebling are key as it is a bit counter-intuitive..

I usually do two sessions riding with my Stud-nets, and then take them for a ride. After that I feel, hear, and see, oh, I got it now!

Get as much info as you can, but get with someone at the track who knows the line.

Tim
Old 02-06-2008, 05:01 PM
racerjon1
Racer

Sperkins, I haven't assigned instructors yet for the Friday. (other than Varkso, who was requested early)

I know that the virtual tour on the site has helped a few people, and they like printing it out and bringing it with them which is why I haven't put a video up yet.

I always tell people Roebling is easy to learn, hard to master, so don't feel bad if it takes you a couple days. If you have any questions about driving it from the videos you see, feel free to ask.

Jon K
Old 02-06-2008, 05:22 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racerjon1
Sperkins, I haven't assigned instructors yet for the Friday. (other than Varkso, who was requested early)

I know that the virtual tour on the site has helped a few people, and they like printing it out and bringing it with them which is why I haven't put a video up yet.

I always tell people Roebling is easy to learn, hard to master, so don't feel bad if it takes you a couple days. If you have any questions about driving it from the videos you see, feel free to ask.

Jon K

I try not to go out at Roebling with SeatTime with an empty seat - so look me up. I have been around the track a few times (sometimes around on the track )...

jeff
Old 02-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by varkwso
.....(sometimes around on the track )...

jeff
You're not the "SANDMAN" for no reason...
Old 02-06-2008, 10:00 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Sperkins, I haven't assigned instructors yet for the Friday.

Jon K
Thanks to mikahb for the video. That was the most informative video I've seen to date.

Jon k - I wouldn't know who to request for an instructor, so I'll leave that in your hands. Hopefully whoever you choose for me has a really good life insurance policy.

All kidding aside I'm really pumped about the event. The track looks fast and hard on brakes and tires. Judging by the video mikahb posted, it looks like oil temps may be a concern for me as well since he spent a lot of time in 3rd at high rpm. My last visit to Road Atlanta saw some oi temps that made me cringe a time or two. Eventually I just stopped looking at the gauge . Maybe a 160* thermostat will help. What do you guys think?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:04 PM
racerjon1
Racer

The track looks fast and hard on brakes and tires. Judging by the video mikahb posted, it looks like oil temps may be a concern for me as well since he spent a lot of time in 3rd at high rpm.
The track is actually easy on brakes... you don't slow down much. Hard on tires.. yes, as you are cornering for 60% of the lap, though it has gotten better with the new asphalt.

I haven't asked about the oil temps, the other vette guys will know more about that.

Jon K
Old 02-06-2008, 10:09 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

PM sent Jon.

I was thinking T1 would be pretty hard on the brakes. He's carrying a lot of speed to the apex.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:12 PM
wmk32
Instructor

Anyone running in Mid March with Chin motorsports? Looked like there were a handful of vettes on the registration.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:28 PM
racerjon1
Racer

PM sent Jon.

I was thinking T1 would be pretty hard on the brakes. He's carrying a lot of speed to the apex.
You can reach Turn 1 in a C5 Z06 at 138-140 pretty easy.. even for a beginner. Apex speed for a beginer is probably in the 60-65 range, and depending on how smooth you learn to be throughout the day, 65-70 at the end of the day.

Now.. I have never looked at the speedometer on a Z06 at turn-in, but in the Porsche 911 GT3 RS the other day I was going from 161 on the straight to 115-120 at turn-in with 85-88 as a mid-corner speed. If you take the same type of % lost, that puts the Vette at a turn-in at 85-90mph.. so a 50mph speed loss under braking over 400-500 feet. Compared to the 110-40mph braking zone in 400 feet at CMP, Roebling is easy.

Jon K

Last edited by racerjon1; 02-06-2008 at 10:59 PM. Reason: typo

Get notified of new replies

To Please share your Roebling Corvette videos.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:51 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

That's a good post Jon. How about you show me around for a couple of laps? Would that be possible?

Old 02-06-2008, 11:05 PM
1lapRacer
Instructor

Jon K
Jon's virtual tour was the best thing to prep for Roebling. Riding with Jeff or Tim is a wonderful way to learn the line. It is a fun track with a different feel from anything else I have driven.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:06 PM
racerjon1
Racer

That's a good post Jon. How about you show me around for a couple of laps? Would that be possible?
I can probably manage. I try not to instruct a single student all day so that I cn keep an eye on all of you guys, work with instructors, etc.. be we can probably figure something out.

I once saw a quote, I think from Emerson Fittipaldi, which said, "Most drivers go too fast in the slow corners, and too slow in the fast corners." Roebling is all fast corners, so it really helps with the understanding of how fast you can really go. (Depending on comfort levels, 50mph is probably the minimum speed I see from a student - for someone like Varkwso, he probably doesn't come under 60 mph the entire lap.)

For reference on how fast Roebling can really be, in a Formula Continental, we run a 97mph first gear, and don't drop below 75 on a good lap.

Jon K

Quick Reply: Please share your Roebling Corvette videos.