Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch selection for Jericho Trans....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:38 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Clutch selection for Jericho Trans....

What brand of clutch do you guys recommend for a Jericho transmission? Speedway motors has a Quatermaster triple disc for around $700, but not sure that is the best one to get....

And how difficult is it to do the work at home as a novice???

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2008, 05:28 AM
jdonnelly
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With a jericho you should only be using your clutch for starts and on/off the trailer. Like a motorcycle it has straight cut gears so you dont clutch for the up/down shifts. I went from a stock something lighter in my 65 when the input shaft sheared on my jericho.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:07 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Wow, that's pretty cool. Do you have to blip the the throttle? Is it loud like you're going in reverse the whole time?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:55 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I run quartermast 5.5" 3-disc clutch....but not with a Jericho. However, I think those are commonly used together.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Tom03Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you putting it in? QM and tilton have whole kits, (bellhousing, starter, clutch and throwout bearing) . which may make it easier.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:35 AM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have used both the Tilton and Quartermaster triple with a Jerico for 4 years with a Camaro R.R. car and it is sweet. You will like it, except for getting out of pits (depending on your 1st gear ratio) and loading car onto trailer with a winch (just a little slower). I would check on the spline setup as I thought remembering looking at Speedway's catalog that it was only a 10 spline input shaft setup.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:13 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bowmanized
Wow, that's pretty cool. Do you have to blip the the throttle? Is it loud like you're going in reverse the whole time?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EMFgK4CgHg

This is a Jerico equipped C4. Yes it's loud! Nice trans from what I've seen. Using the clutch on up/down shift has caused some problems for my friend in the video here.. He now uses it for starting and stopping only. You'll also hear the trans cooler in the car as well.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:27 AM
racerwannabe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

looks like ray meeseman to me!!!! i have a jerico quartermaster setup in my c-4..{that;s for sale.}...works really well...so easy to get from gear to gear.
ray went 1:15 in that car at roebling at Thanksgiving...
Johnny
Old 02-06-2008, 11:38 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

The clutch is going into a Road Race only car...Howe chassis with a 5-star body. Looks like a Nascar but set-up for RR. The current clutch slips like a big dog and only creeps along at 2,000 RPM!!!!

What is the technique for shifting without depressing the clutch and should my current clutch grab hard when starting out in 1st???

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2008, 12:10 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by racerwannabe
looks like ray meeseman to me!!!! i have a jerico quartermaster setup in my c-4..{that;s for sale.}...works really well...so easy to get from gear to gear.
ray went 1:15 in that car at roebling at Thanksgiving...
Johnny
Right you are! That car seems perty fast. No word yet if he has a weed eater. He's a fun guy to run with but that car is damn fast!
Old 02-06-2008, 12:34 PM
jdonnelly
Racer

Button clutches are light but also on/off. They take some getting used to. For ****hing once you are moving it goes... gas lift/shift gas for up and for down gas brake/shift abd more brake then gas. These transmissions need to be abused
Old 02-07-2008, 12:51 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

jdonnelly...not sure what you are trying to say...the fella that sold me this rig stated that the clutch was fine, but all the tech reps I have talked to state a Jericho is like any other transmission when starting out from a dead stop. The clutch should grap and the car should accellerate normally.

I feel that the clutch must be FRIED!
Old 02-07-2008, 05:30 AM
jdonnelly
Racer

A jericho is not a synchro transmission. For starting from a dead stop it will act like any other transmission. Once you are moving you dont need the clutch unless you are trying to get it on your trailer.

For that reason many go with smaller lighter clutches. Some of these are known as button clutches and tend to be engaged or not (they dont slip well). A stock clutch is great to use with the trans it is just over kill. You can save many pounds of weight with a smaller clutch/flywheel/bellhousing.

Once you are on the track it really dosent make any difference to the trans what kind of clutch you have because you are not using it.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:30 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Copy...that's what I figured you meant.

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2008, 12:24 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lift, bang, gas, go. For up shifts
lift, brake, bang-bang, turn, go Double down shift

Randy
Old 02-07-2008, 11:21 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

How are the Zoom clutches...they are cheaper than the RAM clutches???
Old 02-07-2008, 11:44 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I recommend that you contact forum member Redvetteracer on the Forum. He has a Quartermaster triple disc for sale, and he has mentioned often that he will deal on it.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:07 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by jdonnelly
With a jericho you should only be using your clutch for starts and on/off the trailer. Like a motorcycle it has straight cut gears so you dont clutch for the up/down shifts. I went from a stock something lighter in my 65 when the input shaft sheared on my jericho.

thats not exactly correct, according to Jerry Hemmingson OWNER of Jerico it`s actually driver preference...watch the "cup" guys at the road coarse some shift by just feathering the clutch and some don`t. Using the clutch (ever so slightly) makes the trans last a bit longer.
redvetracr

PS: slipping the clutch to get on and off the trailer is a no-no with any QMI or Tilton clutch.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:48 AM
jdonnelly
Racer

Jerry Hemmingson knows a lot more about his product than I ever will. How ever my experience is that the dogs get rounded if you use the clutch and the transmission holds up better if you do not clutch. As for the trailer I start about 10 feet from the ramp and drive it on in first gear.

My experience with button clutches is that if you use them for anything other than getting started you end up replacing them often.
I have had a jerico in my 65 since 1996 when we set it up for road racing. The car was prepped by a (then) Winston Cup crew chief at his shop in Springfield , MA. I have the transmission sent to Jerico every 2 or 3 years to be gone over. Each time they tell me that third and fourth gears are in perfect shape but first and second (I sometimes clutch on the 4-2 downshifts) are always rounded. These are just my humble experiences.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch selection for Jericho Trans....

Quick Reply: Clutch selection for Jericho Trans....