Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run GY F1SC's w/ inner sidewall facing out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 11:03 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Run GY F1SC's w/ inner sidewall facing out?

Has anyone done this? Opinions? I have significant wear on my fronts on the outside edge due mostly to under inflation the last time I was out but also a stock alignment. Very little wear on the inside edge and great tread depth.

So if I dismount the tires and mount the inside wall on the outside, assuming dry pavement, do I get the same performance--anyone care to conjecture??

Thanks
Old 02-08-2008, 07:52 AM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did this on my C6 Z for the same reason. I have not pushed the car in corners, but no ill effects noticed in normal driving. I did all 4 so that any handling changes would be "balanced".
YMMV
Bruce
Old 02-08-2008, 10:55 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by greendot
I did this on my C6 Z for the same reason. I have not pushed the car in corners, but no ill effects noticed in normal driving. I did all 4 so that any handling changes would be "balanced".
YMMV
Bruce
I'm looking to do this for the road course. It's either that or just cord them sooner.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:23 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not only is it not a problem, you could also just swap left to right without even dismounting the tires, as long as you are on dry pavement. The directional tread design is for wet weather. No affect on dry. I do it all the time to get the last ounce of use out of them for the track.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:44 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

GYF1SC's are asymetrical, non-directional.
On a new tire, the outside thread blocks are straight, with small sipes and minimal circumferential grooves. the inside thread has smaller thread blocks and deeper circumferential grooves.
You can remount them ... on a newer tire, there may be a bit of thread "squirm" on turn in, but otherwise, no problem. As tire wears, grooves are more shallow, and squirm lessens.
I always mount the most worn on the right (track inside) for typical clockwise road course and wear down the left side tires ...
Old 02-08-2008, 01:16 PM
jobberone
jobberone
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Now this is some good info for someone thinking about getting back into a little racing.

Get notified of new replies

To Run GY F1SC's w/ inner sidewall facing out?

Quick Reply: Run GY F1SC's w/ inner sidewall facing out?