Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Codes on a track car

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:40 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Codes on a track car

Tried this on C5 Tech and didn't get anything I could use, any input
appreciated:

Got codes, 0157 and I think 1416, on a 75K mile C5 LS1 that has been
tracked, a lot. No blow by catch can. Is it likely that the oxygen sensors are
shot at this point, or can they be cleaned up, don't know anything about
them. Appreciate any inputs. Front sensors vs. rear pair is another issue?
Randy

Car has done well over 10k miles on track, about 110+ track days.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:25 PM
VT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car ran rich for years and I had to replace them with less than 30k on the engine.... Of course I replaced them at the track went back out and it was still throwing the codes. I have since sold the baby and have a set of front O2's for a Y2K if you need them, brand new in box. Don't even remember what I paid for them. If you can use them and want them they are yours(if I can find them).
Old 02-08-2008, 01:16 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

The first is an O2 code, the second part of your AIR system.

If you've ever run leaded fuel, that will kill O2 sensors ASAP. Anyway, I would definitely change the one that's bad. If you have access to a scanner, you can log the data and see if the sensor is simply flat-lined, or just dyeing on the low end.

The AIR code is probably related. When you get a flat O2 sensor, the engine thinks it is lean (or rich). Anyway, the AIR system injects air into the exhaust system, which should change your air-fuel ratio. If you get a stuck O2 sensor, then the AIR system doesn't think it's working, and you get the AIR code. The other option is that the AIR fitting in the exhaust manifold is frozen, and the AIR system isn't actually pumping air into the exhaust.

Regardless, I'd replace the O2 sensor first, and see what happens.

* your code is on the secondary set of injectors (bank 2 sensor 2), so it is emmissions only....should not affect drivability.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:32 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Thanks David, I think that will help the guy I have working on the car.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:50 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The first code you have is P0157, which is fuel system bank 2 lean condition .....Things not to be taken lightly as lean banks, cause detonation and puts holes in pistons. Could be someting as simple as a bad oxygen sensor or could be something harder to locate such as a fuel supply issue or right bank vacuum leak. Scan equipment that can view the data stream of the PCM will help you sort this out. The first thing to do would be to compare key-on engine-off readings of the bank 1 sensor1 O2 sensor vs bank 2 sensor 1 readings....If they are not within a couple % then the bank 2 sensor should be replaced.

There is a long list of things that can cause the lean condition on one bank including fuel starving in a corner. Here is a list of some things from the GM flow chart of this code:

The PCM sets this DTC when the vehicle runs out of fuel.

• The heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) wire--The sensor pigtail may be in contact with the exhaust manifold or the exhaust system.

• An oxygen supply inside the HO2S is necessary for proper operation. The HO2S wires provides the supply of oxygen. Inspect the HO2S wires and connections for breaks or for contamination. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

• Inspect for an intermittent ground in the signal wire between the connector and the sensor.

• Lean injectors--Perform the Injector Balance Test. Refer to Fuel Injector Balance Test with Tech 2 or Fuel Injector Balance Test with Special Tool .

• Fuel contamination--Water near the in-tank fuel pump inlet can be delivered to the injectors. The water causes a lean exhaust and can set a DTC. Refer to Alcohol/Contaminants-in-Fuel Diagnosis .

• The fuel pressure--The system will be lean if the fuel pressure is low. Refer to Fuel System Diagnosis .

• Any exhaust leaks--An exhaust leak near the HO2S can cause a lean condition. Refer to Exhaust System Description in Engine Exhaust.

• Vacuum or crankcase leaks can cause a lean condition.

• If the above conditions are OK, the HO2S may be at fault.

• For an intermittent condition, refer to Intermittent Conditions

The 2nd code that you have the P1416 is no where near as detrimental to the engine. Code means that the A.I.R. system bank two is not operational for some reason, most likely the bank 2 A.I.R. system check valve is stuck closed....unfortuneatly this is the one located behind the intake manifold, so it is not so easy to check or remove. This is a pretty common failure of these cars....Thats why I removed all of that crap from my car , but my cars compete only, and I dont live in California.....

Basically since it did not additionally set a P0410, or a P1415 it has to either be supply blockage or leakage before the right manifold....

The P0157 and P1416 codes could also be caused by a cracked A.I.R. system tube in the right header.....something that also likes to happen to cars run for long periods of time hard.

Hope this helps................

Last edited by RAFTRACER; 02-08-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:27 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Thanks, Danny!
Randy
Old 02-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time to move up to a C6 Randy.

Get notified of new replies