Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Performance Driving School

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 06:11 PM
TMRoc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High Performance Driving School

I would like to put my granddaughter thru a high preformance driving school. She will be 16 and getting her lic. and I want to give her all as much high speed drivers training as I can before she gets out there on her our. I am looking for some advice as to what are some of the best driving schools in the Dallas/Ft Worth, TX area. I looking at the roadracing tracks. Not drives Edu
Old 02-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Zee916
Pro

Drivers Edge is a good place to start and they have alot of events in TX to sign up for.

You can rent a Miata which teaches tons of car control plus is a real confident builder cause you can't really lose control in it and there is no power to cover up poor driving line and technique.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:58 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

You may want to consider an autocross driving school for her. It will teach her car control in a safe, non-threatening environment.

Log on to www.scca.com and look for a local region that offers autocross schools. They are usually held at the start of the season, right about now, I would say for Texas.

After she is comfortable driving the car near the limit, then she can progress to a higher speed school.

Your granddaughter is lucky to have a considerate and knowledgeable granddad. Congratulations and good luck to her in her training. I am sure she will do well.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 02-08-2008, 08:12 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree!!!! Autocross school is the place to start, where I started two of my kids, allot more value for street driving than heading straight to a track. Lower speeds, quicker moves, it can save her life, saved mine many times over the years.

Rick
Old 02-08-2008, 08:44 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Not in the Dallas area, but take a look at this:

http://www.bondurant.com/courses/teendriving.php

It ain't cheap, and she has to have had her license for at least 6 months, but you don't have to provide your own car - it looks like she'd have "her own" Cadillac CTS (either manual or automatic) for the course.

This course sounds like it would be great for any kid (I'd like to go!).

One of the very best names in high performance driving training.

Bob
Old 02-08-2008, 08:56 PM
CJR2
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

http://www.carcontrol.com/

My daughter and I took this course together. Very worthwhile
Old 02-08-2008, 10:18 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before you would put your grand daughter into a high-speed roadcourse environment, you should certainly listen to the others advise to participate in some local autocrosses with the SCCA or other structured group in your area. Get an event in or two , and then from there I would enroll her in the Evolution Performance Autocross School. I looked on their website and found that the school will be in Dallas/Ft.Worth area in late March. Here are a couple of links for you

http://autocross.com/evolution/modules/news/

and a contact page for the Dallas/Ft.Worth Evolution School

http://autocross.com/evolution/modul...op=show&id=127

I am not thinking that you could provide a better ,safer environment for your grand daughter to learn early stage car control lessons.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:50 AM
clockworks
Pro

I was going to suggest http://thedriversedge.net also, but then after reading a few people's replies, maybe they're right... autox might be better to start off. Just driving on a highway is tough enough when driving for the first time, maybe going 115 mph into a turn will be somewhat overwhelming.

Besides, getting her addicted to road racing will cost you a crap load of money in the long run...
Old 02-09-2008, 02:15 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Driver's Edge. Can't go wrong with those guys. Going to kick up a firestorm here, but it's better to learn road course and get smooth than to learn autocross and learn choppy, then learn smooth later. Autocross is a completely different driving style than road course. Not worse, just different. Also, I've heard plenty of autocross folks rave about road courses. I've not heard many road course folks react the same way about autocross when they do it for the first time. Had I a daughter, I would take her to the road course.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:58 AM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just go with daughter to Spring Mountain and have her learn in a Vette, while your drive to Vegas gamble or better yet you take level 1 course with her, but she has to possess a license to enroll. There she will get car control techniques wet,dry and skid car not to mention HP driving.

Last edited by Cloaked323; 02-09-2008 at 03:02 AM.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Zee916
Pro

I disagree about AutoX.

On a road course you learn throttle control, how to apply the brakes well, and really "drive" the car more than you do in an AutoX. Plus I have never seen professional intruction at the AutoX I have been too.

Obviously don't put her in some 500HP Vette the first time. The Miatas are a great way to learn.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:28 PM
AndyF-Dallas
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Autocross school is the best option as it not only teaches car control but sharpens reactions. Both my daughters autocrossed and so will my grand kids. I want them to know what it's like to spin a car out when you don't have other vehicles coming at you. Autocrosses allow you to learn the limits of your car. High Speed Driving Schools are fun but you don't (normally) drive so close and as fast on the road.

Equipe Rapide is hosting Evolution Driving School March 28th, 29th & 30th at Mineral Wells Air Park. Contact Gery Terranova (Gerry.Terranova@us.fujitsu.com) to enter. There are still some openings. I'll be there!
Old 02-09-2008, 09:00 PM
C6orGT
8th Gear

Texas Driving Experience operates from Texas motor speedway in Dallas. Teen skills education (Scions), High speed driving (C5 Z06's).
Search Texas Driving Experience.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:08 PM
johninar
Drifting

I would strongly recommend the Street Survival school.
It's about teaching your teen vehicle dynamics and avoidance manuvers in their own car. Sponsored by the BMW foundation I believe.
There are some on this forum that instruct for this school.
We attended the one at TMS in the bus parking lot. Great one-on-one instruction. When we went there were instructors for every 2 students.
I firmly believe this school saves lives. JMHO

http://www.streetsurvival.org/

Last edited by johninar; 02-11-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:53 PM
BondurantHPD
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Vendor Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by BEZ06

It ain't cheap, and she has to have had her license for at least 6 months, but you don't have to provide your own car - it looks like she'd have "her own" Cadillac CTS (either manual or automatic) for the course.

This course sounds like it would be great for any kid (I'd like to go!).

Bob
Thanks for recommending us! We're very excited to be new supporting vendors to the Forum. Any teen driving course questions, feel free to ask away.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:14 AM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06

Bob
I am a Bob Bondurant Grad and highly recommend it. Started me down the winning SCCA formula car path!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:52 AM
BondurantHPD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by siffert
I am a Bob Bondurant Grad and highly recommend it. Started me down the winning SCCA formula car path!
What type of Formula car do you run? We're starting to replace our Formula Fords with Formula Mazdas! Can't wait to drive one of those!

Dan

Get notified of new replies

To High Performance Driving School

Old 02-14-2008, 11:05 AM
siffert
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BondurantHPD
What type of Formula car do you run? We're starting to replace our Formula Fords with Formula Mazdas! Can't wait to drive one of those!

Dan
After graduating with high honors from Bondurant, I won my Drivers School race in a F/V, and then 3rd, 2cd and then 1st place in my third regional race. Moved to FF the next year, won more races and one local National and then on to Formula C the following year...made it down to Road Atlanta Run-Offs. Now I just lap around in my C6 and a few blasts down the strip. That should be lots of fun with the Mazda's.

Last edited by siffert; 02-14-2008 at 11:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-14-2008, 11:24 AM
BondurantHPD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by siffert
After graduating with high honors from Bondurant, I won my Drivers School race in a F/V, and then 3rd, 2cd and then 1st place in my third regional race. Moved to FF the next year, won more races and one local National and then on to Formula C the following year...made it down to Road Atlanta Run-Offs. Now I just lap around in my C6 and a few blasts down the strip. That should be lots of fun with the Mazda's.
Wow! Congrats! Do you run the C6 with ProAutosports or any club like that? I'm a ProAutoSports member myself, although I just sold me 99 Cobra Powered Crown Vic(intimidator). Thinking about getting a C5 Z06 for a track\daily driver though. Can't afford the C6 just yet!

Old 02-14-2008, 11:34 AM
siffert
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BondurantHPD
Wow! Congrats! Do you run the C6 with ProAutosports or any club like that? I'm a ProAutoSports member myself, although I just sold me 99 Cobra Powered Crown Vic(intimidator). Thinking about getting a C5 Z06 for a track\daily driver though. Can't afford the C6 just yet!

No...I am friends with a couple racing car outfits. I tag along with them (sometimes on their transporter) to their testing sessions and do some lapping in my C6. Lapped at Nelson Ledges, Mid Ohio, Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, Sebring, and soon Daytona. C5 Z06 is quick enough! I run C5 Z06 front wheels on the rear of my C6 when drag racing with BFG drag radials.

Quick Reply: High Performance Driving School