Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Open-Face Autocross Helmet Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Corvette Dobbie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for Open-Face Autocross Helmet Advice

In the market for an autocross helmet. I wear glasses, and so a full face is not an option.

Suggestions? Advice? Experience?

Any help would be appreciated!

Dobbie
Old 02-08-2008, 10:26 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wear glasses and use a full face helmet. Why can't you use one?
Old 02-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Corvette Dobbie
Intermediate

I have these flimsy, lightweight titanium pieces that go around the ears. I've tried a fullface at the track, and by the time I got them through the padding, I couldn't get them to go around my ears! Great glasses, though. The best I've ever had for not even knowing they are there. Just suck for when you wear a helmet.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:47 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette Dobbie
I have these flimsy, lightweight titanium pieces that go around the ears. I've tried a fullface at the track, and by the time I got them through the padding, I couldn't get them to go around my ears! Great glasses, though. The best I've ever had for not even knowing they are there. Just suck for when you wear a helmet.
Me too. But I keep the glasses on when I put the helmet on. You put your face in first then kind of rotate the helmet back onto your head. FWIW.

There's a trick to everything! Good luck either way.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:58 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

My general advice is : get a QUALITY helmet first & foremost, that fits your noggin really well - snug but comfortable. Test-fit them if at all possible before buying. You should be able to wear it for 5-10 minutes, then remove it and not see any red pressure spots on your skin, or feel dizzy. A really bad-fitting helmet could actually make you faint in the pits (!!) after removing the helmet following a 30-minute track session or a long wait in an autocross line, just as the blood suddenly rushes back to your face & neck. That could be somewhat embarrassing...

Bell, Simpson and G-Force make some nice open-face helmets that are SA2005 rated, so they will qualify for both autocross and track events for quite a few years to come. Check out OGRacing.com, BSRProducts.com and RacerWholesale.com

There are also 'hybrid' closed-face helmets intended to be used in closed cars - kinda like an open face with a solid chin bar. They may work better with glasses then a traditional full face.

However, I used sunglasses with my Simpson Bandit full face helmet for years for autocrossing without issue, but that was after removing the face shield. Certain helmet padding designs will probably fight with glasses more then others, so it may just take trying on a few to know which one would work best with your head shape and your 'flimsy' glasses...

I started using a dark shield instead of the sunglasses. That offered a less obstructed peripheral vision since the frames of the glasses are not in the way, and glare can't get in from the sides. But, if you have to use prescription glasses, that's probably not going to be possible in your situation...

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 02-09-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Corvette Dobbie
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice. I like the G-force and Bell helmets. I have also had advice to try them on before buying. So, now to find the retail store for proper fitting.

Appreciate the assistance.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:59 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette Dobbie
Thanks for the advice. I like the G-force and Bell helmets. I have also had advice to try them on before buying. So, now to find the retail store for proper fitting.

Appreciate the assistance.

I went with Bell. You'll find out that the Mag 4 open face comes in the traditional S, M, L, XL, & Fathead while the more expensive and lighter Mag 5 comes in actual sizes 7, 7 1/8, 7 1/4 etc. I went with the Mag 5 becauce my head was in between the letter sizes of the Mag 4. Even with a full 6 pt harness and race seats the lighter weight is a nice feature. My wife prefers to shorten this explanation by telling people I had to get the more expensive one because my head wasn't normal.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:13 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TedDBere
I wear glasses and use a full face helmet. Why can't you use one?
I agree. I also have flimsy ear pieces on my glasses ( I should really get a second pair of glasses)

Full face helmet kept many of track turds, stones, sand and 'OTHER' hard objects from braking my chin after they bounced into the car.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear Bell and always have. I also have the flimsy titainum frame glasses and Bell helmits are as tight against the ears as any helmit I've ever put on. The glasses bend a little going in but I find it easy enough to use them. I wouldn't wear an open face if you paid me.

I'm using the Bell M2 Pro which is now the M3. It has an extermely large eyeport, so glasses aren't a problem.

One thing on the Bells, the "Racer" series helmits weigh about 1 lb. more that the "Pro" or "Ultra" series. That extra lb will definately work on your neck at the track.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:11 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I got contacts. No problem getting them under my Bell.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for Open-Face Autocross Helmet Advice

Quick Reply: Looking for Open-Face Autocross Helmet Advice