Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weasel repellant....roll cage pics Comments please

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 02:48 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weasel repellant....roll cage pics Comments please

http://www.racepa.com/content/index....;topicseen#new
what do you think????
Old 02-09-2008, 02:58 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

""weasel repellant" i crack myself up!!!
Old 02-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Advanced

Looks really nice
Old 02-09-2008, 03:02 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Build need to comply with sanctioning body rules. Rollover hoop footings should go to the floor sill box or frame rails. Door bars need to attach on the rollover bar B-piller area. The pictures in this area are not clear enough to see.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:07 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

here we go!!

Last edited by TRACKMAN2; 02-10-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:23 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Build need to comply with sanctioning body rules. Rollover hoop footings should go to the floor sill box or frame rails. Door bars need to attach on the rollover bar B-piller area. The pictures in this area are not clear enough to see.
nasa rules dont state the attachment points only the method. is says you need two doorbars, but does not specify from where to where they run from metal rear bulkhead to the a-pillar via rear mounting plates am i right???
Old 02-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I take offense to that

Old 02-09-2008, 07:43 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by TRACKMAN2
nasa rules dont state the attachment points only the method. is says you need two doorbars, but does not specify from where to where they run from metal rear bulkhead to the a-pillar via rear mounting plates am i right???
You need to read the NASA rules or post them here for the class you are in.

In general there are many style bars and those that mount to the rear crossover unibody about mid back level are considered style bars. There is nothing substanial there if you roll over. So you need to end the rollover hoop feet in the sillbox or frame rails. The rollover hoop is extremely important since it is the foundation of a proper cage. You can have the best of everything else but if the rollover hoop is no good you just have extra weight.

Nascar bars are a real problem because so many people do them wrong. Vettes need nascar bars because we have so little headroom and an X bar which is lighter and just as strong reduces egress. So if you do nascar bars that go into the doors you need to either support tube them to the OEM sill plate (as pictured) or add a sill tube to your cage and connect them there and of course to your A-piller tube. A-piller tubes need to be supported by a dashbar. The dashbar is a great place to attach right side nets. Be prepared for that many bodies are starting to require full containment seats or R and L sidenets. This is a big topic I could write on for days
Old 02-09-2008, 07:58 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

15.6.5 through 15.6 12
if i ever ran the car it would be in STU
Old 02-10-2008, 11:55 AM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

the car fits in ptc class per nasa performance touring car class form ...
75 mod points moves it up two classes to what i dont know,,, i know a guy with a similar car runs in STU.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:59 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I just did the research on the NASA rules as I just purchased an SCCA ITE car and wanted to confirm cage legality for it's jump to NASA. I spoke to and emailed several pics to Shane Benson, my region's head of safety. Here's what he told me in a nutshell, applied to your car...

For ST1/2/U your cage is fine as long as you meet the rules in the CCR link you posted. The limits on the number of attachment points do not apply to ST rules (meaning you can penetrate the firewall, attach to the door sill, etc). Make sure you don't exceed the max number of bends in each bar, this is one often violated by Corvettes because they're so damn small that extra bends are often added to snake around things.

You're going to run into trouble if you try to squeeze into PTC with that cage, however. Each additional attachment point over 6 (I counted like 10) will be assessed additional points to your already modified car. I think you're stuck in STx with this cage.

One other thing to keep in mind - all attachments to the frame must be welded to a plate of a minimum 9 sq inches (and 0.080" thick). I had to add two plates to the SCCA car to comply. Check section 15.6.14.

Also, he emphasized that the welds be 360* at all points. He was concerned about a few of the pics I sent him so we went back around and checked everything on my car.

Hope this helps...
Old 02-11-2008, 05:56 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
I just did the research on the NASA rules as I just purchased an SCCA ITE car and wanted to confirm cage legality for it's jump to NASA. I spoke to and emailed several pics to Shane Benson, my region's head of safety. Here's what he told me in a nutshell, applied to your car...

For ST1/2/U your cage is fine as long as you meet the rules in the CCR link you posted. The limits on the number of attachment points do not apply to ST rules (meaning you can penetrate the firewall, attach to the door sill, etc). Make sure you don't exceed the max number of bends in each bar, this is one often violated by Corvettes because they're so damn small that extra bends are often added to snake around things.

You're going to run into trouble if you try to squeeze into PTC with that cage, however. Each additional attachment point over 6 (I counted like 10) will be assessed additional points to your already modified car. I think you're stuck in STx with this cage.

One other thing to keep in mind - all attachments to the frame must be welded to a plate of a minimum 9 sq inches (and 0.080" thick). I had to add two plates to the SCCA car to comply. Check section 15.6.14.

Also, he emphasized that the welds be 360* at all points. He was concerned about a few of the pics I sent him so we went back around and checked everything on my car.

Hope this helps...
thanks it does ... dont tell anyone but i just got the ok from the boss (wifey) to race this year sunday. the car will be done by april and i will get the ball rolling asap......
Old 02-11-2008, 06:22 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What is with the double head banger??? I don't understand. Safety would be my guess.

Randy
Old 02-11-2008, 07:14 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
What is with the double head banger??? I don't understand. Safety would be my guess.

Randy
that was my idea even sitting low in the car i wanted somthing higher, like the cages in the t1 vette that have the a pillar bar at ear level i wanted somthing over my mellon. if it sucks ill cut it out but i moved the seat over to the right alot and i dont hit it any more than the roof of my zo6.... as alwas a work in progress
Old 02-11-2008, 08:48 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

"Keith perhaps you can clarify... is this the infamous corvette "crazy George" that keeps blowing engines?"

Old 02-11-2008, 09:43 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
"Keith perhaps you can clarify... is this the infamous corvette "crazy George" that keeps blowing engines?"

only the people that meet me think im crazy
Old 02-11-2008, 11:29 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

that was my idea even sitting low in the car i wanted somthing higher, like the cages in the t1 vette that have the a pillar bar at ear level i wanted somthing over my mellon. if it sucks ill cut it out but i moved the seat over to the right alot and i dont hit it any more than the roof of my zo6.... as alwas a work in progress
I understand the helment buster!!!

Randy
Old 02-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

only the people that meet me think im crazy
The funny part is we were calling George "Crazy George" before he said it was ok to call him "Crazy George".

Sometimes the names just fits the person

BTW - George are you coming to WGI this year? It will be fun again.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To weasel repellant....roll cage pics Comments please

Quick Reply: weasel repellant....roll cage pics Comments please