Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best STOCK track car!

Old 02-12-2008, 12:39 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by trapp
I have read so many threads about if you are going to track your (Z06) upgrade your brakes system, oil cooler, valves, etc. Is there any STOCK cars that you can track safely without pouring money into them. I understand wear and tear such as tires, brake pads etc. It might be a stupid question but I am interested in tracking car and joining a club and I want to keep cost down. What car/setup is best for the track and is not going to break the bank. I know this is a Z06 forum but alot of you had different cars that you have tracked in the past and I want your feedback. Honda s2000, older 911? WRX, EVO, I have a Z06 (07) but I think it would be to much $$ to upgrade it for the track and maintain it.
just put road race tires on it, hoosier r6's or toyo 888 or kumho v710 or michelin sport cups or Nitto NT-O1

and leave the rest stock and you will beat the crap out of 95 percent of the cars on the track! after a 6 months 99%
Old 02-12-2008, 12:58 AM
vtecnitian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lotus or s2k both will get the job done the s2k has corner entering speed do to the high revs ,close ratio trans and 50/50 weigh distribution and if you keep the momemtum right you'll have exiting speed too. but in straights away is not that great but not too slow eighter and its fun as hell.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:21 AM
hoefi
Racer

Originally Posted by COBrien

...I'd say both the Lotus and GT3 are more "track ready" than the Z06 out of the box...

I agree 100%. Owned and tracked a Lotus Elise a few years ago and had driven a friend's GT3 on the track numerous times. Costs to keep the Lotus running on the track is a fraction of what it takes to run the GT3 or the Z06. Tires alone (R compound from the factory) are way way cheaper to replace, not to mention OE brake pads that actually last on a racetrack.

If they actually pay out prize money for turning fastest laps at a DE event, I will be crazy not to bring the Z. However, DE events can really only be viewed as recreation/entertainment, and the Lotus probably provides the best entertainment value per dollar when compared to any new streetable production car that is currently available. Yes, a Spec Miata is cheaper, but then again, you are not talking about an un-mod car.

Joe

Last edited by hoefi; 02-12-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:08 AM
Itiner
Heel & Toe

would get an exige or the Evo IX RS . you can get the Evo around $22k. and in stock form with better tires it is a forgiven drive and relatively fast car in stock form.
The exige is almost $15k more but still is affordable.
The reason i think the Evo wins , because the parts price and the durability. The Exige will at least double you cost. So i think the cheapest and still running great times the Evo will win.
Now i love the GT3 RS but that is alots of money. you can run easy 5 season with the evo to get the 1 season cost for the Porsche.
but what is wrong with the Z06? I think its a great track car.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:18 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Any and EVERY car that goes on track needs work. Most to be safe.

Brake fluid need to flushed before and after EVERY event
Brake pads need to be changed
Tires ware out
Oil needs to be changed every few events
transmission and diff fluids changed every few events.

So NO there is not one car that can be totally stock being street and track worthy.

The above is all before the MOD BUG HITS. and it WILL

Originally Posted by Itiner
would get an exige or the Evo IX RS . you can get the Evo around $22k. and in stock form with better tires it is a forgiven drive and relatively fast car in stock form.
The exige is almost $15k more but still is affordable.
The reason i think the Evo wins , because the parts price and the durability.
The Evo and Exige are good cars, been in both,. Only problem is you will seldom see 120 mph, let alone above 140 in either of them, without extensive mods.

If you want a dedicated track car that you can beat the chit out of, and have lots of fun, get a CMC race ready Camero. $9-$12K
Old 02-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

C5 z06, just needs brake pads, and the tire of your choice. I drove mine for 5 years at hpde's with no problems and no mods.

Tim
Old 02-12-2008, 08:33 AM
Itiner
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Any and EVERY car that goes on track needs work. Most to be safe.

Brake fluid need to flushed before and after EVERY event
Brake pads need to be changed
Tires ware out
Oil needs to be changed every few events
transmission and diff fluids changed every few events.

So NO there is not one car that can be totally stock being street and track worthy.

The above is all before the MOD BUG HITS. and it WILL

The Evo and Exige are good cars, been in both,. Only problem is you will seldom see 120 mph, let alone above 140 in either of them, without extensive mods.

If you want a dedicated track car that you can beat the chit out of, and have lots of fun, get a CMC race ready Camero. $9-$12K
the RS can run in stock form in Lime Rock /CT/ the staright away
over 130 mph . that is really not bad. the exige can do a same.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:40 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

I think all of us who have "tracked" our Z06s know that they work just fine "stock" and it's not a question of "have to" when it comes to mods, it becomes a "want to". I could do without the headers, the intake, the Nitto's, the new sway bar, etc, but I don't "want to".

You can track your stock Z06, have a great time driving it as it was meant to be driven, and know that you probably aren't going to hurt it. They're pretty tough right from the factory.

Have fun!
Old 02-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Itiner
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06
I think all of us who have "tracked" our Z06s know that they work just fine "stock" and it's not a question of "have to" when it comes to mods, it becomes a "want to". I could do without the headers, the intake, the Nitto's, the new sway bar, etc, but I don't "want to".

You can track your stock Z06, have a great time driving it as it was meant to be driven, and know that you probably aren't going to hurt it. They're pretty tough right from the factory.

Have fun!
yeah that was what i thinking. change tires ,break pads and fluids, and you got a very good track car.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

A C6Z really only needs some spare pads and fresh fluid for the beginner... but bang/buck a C5Z is a superior car.

The only downside as as you get more advanced you start going through things like brakes, wheel bearings, and tires where are very costly on the Corvettes.

This is the reason we bought the Panoz vs. convering my Corvette to a track car. Parts for the Panoz are much cheaper and easier to service.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:57 AM
jcmbird
Advanced

have you thought about service.chevy has a great dealer network.I would also mention something like a factory five cobra. Like panoz they are not as complicated and fun
Old 02-12-2008, 10:30 AM
zcobra1
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Lion
I was just there this weekend and was blown away by what a stock Z06 can do when it is in the hands of someone very capable. If you want to see what this car can do, have an instructor take you for a spin. I was considering modifying my car like so many cars that I saw at the event and in all honesty the driver is the best mod you can do. Part of my reason for going out with an instructor was to see how far off I am from what this car is capable of and it became very apparent that I am way off. I need to learn how to drive much better before I need to modify the car. If you ever get a chance to get to Spring Mountain, have the instructor take you out for a ride. The instructor that took me out said there are 2 other cars that are worth their money like the Z06. One is a Ferrari 430 and the other is a Porsche Carrara GT. On that track the Z06 and Porsche are just about dead even.
At Spring Mountain this weekend, an employee there claimed he had not seen any blown engines, or any clutch replacements in the 3 years he had worked there....... and they use stock cars as far as I know...

I had heard they add an extra oil cooler - but I did not verify that.

I agree the best improvement is the driver---this weekend I saw lot's of modded cars leave early, and some not even make it through the first half of the first day, while the stock/almost stock cars seemed to hold up well, enjoy 2 days of laps and turn on their AC/stereo and drive home...
Also a case in point: I took a ride around session in a complete box stock C6 Z06 in the advanced group and John kept up and was waved by a heavily modified C6 Z06, with suspension, slicks, and 550 HP at the wheels. Driver, driver, driver.

Keep her stock except as others have said, brake fluid, lines, pads, tires, coolers, and a good seat.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by trapp
I have read so many threads about if you are going to track your (Z06) upgrade your brakes system, oil cooler, valves, etc. Is there any STOCK cars that you can track safely without pouring money into them. I understand wear and tear such as tires, brake pads etc. It might be a stupid question but I am interested in tracking car and joining a club and I want to keep cost down. What car/setup is best for the track and is not going to break the bank. I know this is a Z06 forum but alot of you had different cars that you have tracked in the past and I want your feedback. Honda s2000, older 911? WRX, EVO, I have a Z06 (07) but I think it would be to much $$ to upgrade it for the track and maintain it.
^^If you truly want a track only car take a careful look at this thread.

http://www.trackpedia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3161

I also pondered the question you are asking and came to the conclusion that in the long run (probably short-run too) it is much less expensive to buy a car that was specifically designed for the track.

You can get a Radical or similar C or D class sports racer for around $25K. These cars are ready from the get go to go to the track and perform. They will out run the vettes with ease for a fraction of the cost. They are also much less costly to operate because they are not as hard on consumables like tires, brakes, etc. They are also easy to work on unlike the vettes.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:41 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Itiner
yeah that was what i thinking. change tires ,break pads and fluids, and you got a very good track car.
Now your thinking. and the idea of the corvette.

95% of all HPDE drivers can not drive a stock CORVETTE to within even 60% of what the car can really do. Let alone the ppl who drive vettes on the street but never attend an HPDE.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:06 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

95% of all HPDE drivers can not drive a stock CORVETTE to within even 60% of what the car can really do. Let alone the ppl who drive vettes on the street but never attend an HPDE.
I hear that. I have a good friend (let's call him Ken) that has a stock C5Z and thinks he's super fast. But the guy could barely break into the 1:33's at Mid-Ohio!

It's amazing what some people think.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:37 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now your thinking. and the idea of the corvette.

Take the 3 day course at bondurant. I guarantee you will be driving with in 80-90% of what the stock c6 can do
Old 02-12-2008, 01:52 PM
jcmbird
Advanced

are these trace cars able to attend all hpde's? pca you need instructors seat.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the best STOCK track car!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:53 PM
jcmbird
Advanced

track cars, sorry
Old 02-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Not sure about the Radicals, but the used Panoz cars have 2 seats. Here's mine after installing my Ultrashield and some new belts.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:00 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Afordability, power, handling, overall speed, safety, and driving experience, cheap parts...my vote goes for the C5Z06 (any year). This car if set up right, even with stock power and brakes/suspension is such an enourmously capable car for the price (used low $20's). I don't think there is any car on the earth with such performance at that price used. You can say miata/S2000 and such, but I think for just a few more dollars, the C5Z set up well is exotic fast. There are so many low mileage garage queen C5Z's out there at bargin prices, it's almost impossible to resist. While I love my C6Z, if I could go back, I probably would have kept my C5Z.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is the best STOCK track car!