Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which makes more sense?

Old 02-12-2008, 10:53 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Which makes more sense?

I was considering doing some mods for the track this year, but I unexpectedly incurred some costs to replace the transmission and clutch in the '03 Z. A large part of the cost is being picked up by my extended warranty, but I'm still laying out more than I had hoped to.

So here's the dilemma -- Am I better off putting in a new higher capacity radiator and oil cooler, or going for headers, X-pipe and cats? I'm leaning toward the radiator and oil cooler. My thought is that it's more important to keep the engine running cool than it is to up the HP right now. I'm not "racing" the car, I just enjoy doing HPDE and track day events. The extra HP would certainly be nice, but I'm more concerned about keeping my ride healthy first and can always add HP later.

Does that make sense? Should I really consider a tranny cooler as well?

Old 02-12-2008, 11:11 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say suspension or brakes first, ignore power and sound for now, cooling is not absolutely required unless you live in a really hot region. I ran a Z with headers and no coolers for 5 years without any problems, when I hit 290 oil, I just short shifted or came in that session.

If you need to choose between what you mentioned....guts the cats with a screwdriver, buy a used Ti exhaust for a couple hundred dollars, don't waste any money on an X pipe, BUT spend money on a good tune, AND buy an integrated radiator/oil cooler combo. You'll be within 10-15hp of your overal target and have the cooling benefits to boot for future upgrades.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

My $0.02

*Seating/interior first... being properly fastened/positioned in the car is the most important. Get a great seat and harnesses first.

Next... I'd go with the oil cooler/radiator first before more power. At the end of the day you're not racing, there is no winner, so 30 more ponies won't help you. It will give you a few more mph in the straights which will make you harder on brakes/tires.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:32 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Modifing order

First - Contact Patches - Brake pads, Brake fluid, Rotors, tires, Seat and harness.

Second - Cooling, Bigger radiator, Oil cooler and transmission cooler, maybe Diff cooler also

also a great track / aggressive street alignment. and dyno tune the engine you have.

Third: Suspension. Stiffer springs, shocks, duron bushings and sway bars.

Now were was the HP mod?

stuff above is not as sexy has BIG BIG HP NUMBERS, but it will get you around the track much quicker

Old 02-13-2008, 10:54 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

with above ...
I think my use parallels your intentions.
I have not done seats and harness "yet"; felt that rad and integrated EOC was of higher priority.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:40 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

I have not updated my info in a while, but just so you guys know the current status of the car, here's what I've got so far:

**Wilwood conversion, 6 pot fronts, 4 pot rears, with Wilwood rotors and Wilwood H pads front and rear, stainless braided lines. I run ATE Super Blue racing brake fluid, change regularly.

**Vararam CAI

**T1 swaybar to be installed before the season (sitting in the garage waiting for nicer weather to work on the car).

**Will be putting new street and track tires on before the season.

**As part of the tranny fix, we are installing a Rockford race prepped 6-speed and new clutch, flywheel, master and slave, plus remote bleeder.

**Carravaggio seats with B-K harness bar, 6 pt harnesses, and HANS device.

Because I need to get new street and track tires, and with the extra money being spent on the tranny fix, the budget is sort of busting. It sounds like the concensus so far, if I'm going to spend the money, is to go for the radiator/oil cooler first, headers/x-pipe/cats later, if at all. I am planning on doing a dyno tune this spring, one way or the other.

Thanks guys.

Steve
Old 02-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Get the cooler first. Keeping things cooler is always better. When you modify to get more HP you are also going to get more heat. As for the amount of HP you get by opening the exhaust it is doubtful it will help that much just doing HPDEs. The fun is in getting around the track fast and that means getting around the corners faster Vs running the straights faster. See it all the time at the Glen. Big HP cars embarrased by ITA prepped front wheel drive VWs with 2 or 3 hundred less HP.

Bill
Old 02-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Depending on the amount of track days would depend on what I would do. Someone that does more than 5 I would do cooling over headers. Someone doing less than 5 I would do headers.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:58 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

coolers
Old 02-15-2008, 09:36 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Shiels
coolers