Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

track suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:52 AM
alavette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default track suggestions

I have just purchased a 2007 Z-06 and plan to do some serious autocrossing and high speed schools and events this year. I am looking for suggestions on setting the car up for handling and traction. I would like to run a different set of wheels and tires, but I am confuse with issue of changing rears to 18". All recommendations would very much be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2008, 09:42 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Keep it stock for the first year. Right now the car is faster than you are. Concentrate on driving and stay away from modifications.

The best improvement you can make will be the tires, but don't even do that until you have a half dozen events completed.

If you want to spend money hire a driving coach. That's the best money you'll ever spend.

Richard Newton

Autocross Performance Handbook

Wheel and Tire Performance Handbook
Old 02-15-2008, 09:46 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

how much experience do you have?
Old 02-15-2008, 11:31 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be careful with that thing. I have one as well, but I also have close to 100 days of experience and it still gives me chills (not to scare you). Don't get a big head and you don't have to be the fastest car on the track because your car is the fastest on the track (make sense?).

For you first few days, get a good helmet and get the brake fluid flushed with either Motul or Castrol and get the brake pads checked out. Right now just focus on safety and brakes first. This car is all about throttle modulation on a road course. The goal of a good track day is not to be killer fast, but to have some fun and get you and your car home the way it arrived...without a scratch!
Old 02-15-2008, 12:23 PM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Those are all very sensible replies.

But for those of us with a bit more experience, what is the answer to the question about 18" rears and workable wheel/tire combos (R compounds excluded)?
Old 02-15-2008, 02:51 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I have an 06 Z and use the OEM's rims at the track (hence 19" rears) and it works fantastic. Some seem to feel they want to use 18's as the rubber is cheaper, but only by about $8 per tire, so don't spend $2000 on rims thinking your going to get your money back. Some want 18's because there are a greater variety of R compounds, which is a valid agrument. Since Hoosier makes the R6 in a 345/19, I see no reason to go 18, as I would not really want to use any other tire anyway. So unless it's because you want to use a greater variety of tire choices, there is no "technical" reason why you should go 18" in the rear. You gain/lose nothing handling wise.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:23 PM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Suppose you didn't want to use a R compound but didn't want to use the runcraps either? I don't know that there is really a suitable intermediate tire (like the RA1) for even an 18 inch rear, thought the RA1 does come in a 315. I'm just wondering what alternatives guys are using.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

If you don't want to use R-compounds or the OEM runflats, and want to be able to drive to and from the track - I recommend looking at the Falken RT-615 tire, which comes in 315/30ZR18. I agree, keep it stock. Upgrade the brake fluid, brake pads - might want to consider Goodridge stainess steel brake lines. Seat time is the 1st priority.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:32 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

NITTO makes a tire for in 19" C6Z sizes called the INVO, Michelin makes a 19" Pilot Sport in 3 flavors. Bridgestone makes one, and so does Pirelli, including the stock F1. So, there are at least 7 choices at the moment in just street tires. Is that not enough? To be honest, why would anyone go through the hassle of a 2nd set of rims to just run a set of street tires? But in any case, there are choices, and in a year there will be even more.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

many offerings in the stock 19" wheel size you have - I would think twice before making an investment in another set of wheels - save the money for other expendables.

Get notified of new replies

To track suggestions

Quick Reply: track suggestions