Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock tune safer for brutal track days?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 05:34 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Stock tune safer for brutal track days?

I have a thread going in C6 tech. I had an '01 C5 with intake, headers, exhaust, and 4.10 gears with the stock tune and the car ran great for years with several thousand hard track miles, oil temps at 300+F type of hard miles. Sold it to a guy who has over 100k miles on it and it's still running great!

Well, I'd like to do intake, headers, exhaust, and stock tune on my new '08 C6, but some guys on the C6 tech thread AI started are saying that wouldn't be safe. I think the car will run a bit rich, but how can it be unsafe on the stock tune?

I have a theory that not running enough oil or having an aggressive tune have cost many Vette guys their motors at the road courses. I don't want that to happen to my motor which is why I want to keep a stock tune.

Am I crazy?
Old 02-15-2008, 05:43 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Vettes always run better when dyno tuned. Tell the tuner what your use will be. The two of you will work out what is best for the car
Old 02-15-2008, 07:04 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

If you're going to do a few mods, such as intake and exhaust, a tune will get your A/F ratio back to optimal, and will likely allow more power to be extracted with the mods. Just let the tuner know that the car will see high air, water, and oil temps, and let him know not to set the timing and A/F at the ragged edge.....keep it conservative. With no tune, you're "probably" still OK (safe), but as hard as we push these cars, why not dial it in exactly? I'd rather not be too rich (cats don't always like it), or too lean (detonation and heat), during a hard session.

Last edited by RedLS6; 02-15-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:10 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS6
If you're going to do a few mods, such as intake and exhaust, a tune will get your A/F ratio back to optimal, and will likely allow more power to be extracted with the mods. Just let the tuner know that the car will see high air, water, and oil temps, and let him know not to set the timing and A/F at the ragged edge.....keep it conservative. With no tune, you're "probably" still OK (safe), but as hard as we push these cars, why not dial it in exactly? I'd rather not be too rich (cats don't always like it), or too lean (detonation and heat), during a hard session.
This is what I did--went to a tuner who himself drives on course and told him what I was going to do and that all I wanted was a conservative tune to safeguard the motor, nothing more. He dialed back the timing from stock and but the A/F at 12.5.

He drove the car himself on the street and tuned it that way.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:42 AM
wewing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with RedLS6, that by putting headers on the car, you could make it run leaner than it otherwise would with the stock exhaust. If it runs leaner, and pings under varying loads at high rpm's its not good for the motor, and that is more likely at the track. That is why you probably should have a good tuner set it up for your headers before you track the car.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:21 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

FWIW most all cars (corvettes at least) fatten up w/ boltons and no tuning. My '01Z made 372ish rwhp with intake, kooks w/ cats, and stingers w/o any tuning. AFR was 11.0:1 accross the board at WOT. A proper tune got my to 384 w/ a 12.5:1 AFR and standard timing nothign crazy. Just tell the tuner what your use will be and ask for a road racing safe tune, you don't want every last ragged HP like some of the drag or dyno queen guys.

If the tuner doesn't get it or has never tuned a track car then get out of there.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:32 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will be fine if you have John at 21CMC tune it. Mine works great on the track with AF of 12.5-12.8.
I think you are worried about nothing. The C6 oil pan is a much better design than the C5. And a good tune is going to do nothing but help make it more reliable.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:53 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I have a thread going in C6 tech. I had an '01 C5 with intake, headers, exhaust, and 4.10 gears with the stock tune and the car ran great for years with several thousand hard track miles, oil temps at 300+F type of hard miles. Sold it to a guy who has over 100k miles on it and it's still running great!

Well, I'd like to do intake, headers, exhaust, and stock tune on my new '08 C6, but some guys on the C6 tech thread AI started are saying that wouldn't be safe. I think the car will run a bit rich, but how can it be unsafe on the stock tune?

I have a theory that not running enough oil or having an aggressive tune have cost many Vette guys their motors at the road courses. I don't want that to happen to my motor which is why I want to keep a stock tune.

Am I crazy?
I did respond to your other post too.

Personally I would go to a shop that has cars doing RR if that is where your interest is and have that shop do a tune. At ECS I am out roughly 15+ days per year doing RR days and Doug@ECS (co-owner of ECS) is out around 10. Doug@ECS who tunes all the ECS cars usually data log both cars to see what is going on and then take that information back with him to the shop.

Tell the tuner what you are doing and the tuner will make the correct adjustments and you will be fine on and off the track.

IMHO if you are planning on doing alot of RR days with oil temps up in the 300 range I would also add an oil cooler to your car. Those oil temps are really not good for your car. Having the 4.10 gears on a RR Track didnt help with keeping temps down either so maybe with the new car you will see lower temps.

As far as why cars blow up on the track - well there are tons of reasons. I lost a double roller timing chain in turn 7 at WGI with my car. It was one of the last things that I thought would go and I am glad that the new timing chains that are out are better since I have a new LS7 going in.

I have also seen oil starvation at the track. Tracks like Pocono with the big Nascar turn 1 are not friendly to low oil levels. The oil pick starves for a very short time and say bye bye.

I have also seen cars go because of poor tunes from people that have no RR experience and that is why I said to use a tuner that has RR experience. A good tuner will make sure your car is tuned correctly providing you with years of fun.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:41 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
I

I have also seen oil starvation at the track. Tracks like Pocono with the big Nascar turn 1 are not friendly to low oil levels. The oil pick starves for a very short time and say bye bye.

This I think is more common then people realize. They chalk the blown motor up to something else or lots of RR time. It's that big banking that a stock oil pan can't handle.

I loved Pocono, it was one of the most fun experiences in my life, but I won't go back knowing what I know it can do to a stock motor. You really have to do the track-specific add-ons.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:09 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Thanks for all the information, guys! Wicked Weasel, I appreciate you responding in both thread. I am going to see what kind of oil temps I'm getting with my new '08 and go from there. Candy (C6400), hope to get my car out on track soon to chase you around.

I am planning on having Patrick from Quality do the tune (if necessary) after we data log and evaluate it's stock operating parameters after the modifications. He has quite a bit of experience tuning for RR, so I feel comfortable with him.

Cobra, that was exactly what my '01 C5 did. With stock tune along with intake, headers, exhaust, and 4.10 gears, it made 337rwhp running 12.0:1 or even a touch less in the high 11's. Yes, it was rich, but she ran good even when really hot and never had an ounce of trouble with her over thousands of 100% track miles. As mentioned in the other thread, the second owner now has over 100k miles with zero mechanical issues.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:17 AM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

This might be helpful:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...php?t=1891891&
Old 02-16-2008, 01:37 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MySR71
Very helpful! Thanks!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:04 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Motors contribute very little to lap times on a road course. Tires are the single most important item. Then come the brakes. Finally in third place is the motor. If you're running track days the engine will give you the worst return on investment.

Richard
Old 02-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Yep... I learned that the hard way I just had to have a cam for the fun/sound of it all as I drive my car on the street a bunch and to car meets etc. All it did on track was make the car faster so I went through brakes/tires more quickly

Seat, tires, brakes first... then mod the motor. Ok ok... you can do some mufflers so the car at least sounds cool.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:25 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

This is a good thread. Here is my latest dyno. I am going back Saturday for the final tune with the meth kit(installed just for safety) hooked up. Should I stay about where I am? Tuner says there is a lot left.

[IMG][/IMG]

Get notified of new replies

To Stock tune safer for brutal track days?

Quick Reply: Stock tune safer for brutal track days?