Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best value wheel/R comp set-up for track days?

Old 02-16-2008, 03:49 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Best value wheel/R comp set-up for track days?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I just need a recommendation for a good cheap wheel and tire combo for my '08 Z51 C6 that I can use on track days. Cosmetics means basically nothing to me.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2008, 04:25 PM
l8_apexer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default track wheels- 08

Good luck. I had same issues-- see this forum.
Here's the net of what I found out:
-put 18" wheels all the way around. Downside-the wheels are expensive, however lots of tire choices.

- use stock wheels. Plenty out there available inexpensively. Downside: limited tire choices. For stock size wheels- Toyo R888, Nitto's or Hoosiers.

On my 08 coupe, I just ordered from another forum member a set of factory polished wheels, which had BFG KDW's. I'll use those until the tire wear out-- then will run the R888's. Since it's just for schools, my epxerience with Toyos is that they have decnet grip, good longevity for track use, however not the quickest tire. Hoosiers are the option for lots of grip and going fast- but won't last long.

i figured for the price of buying a set of forged 18's I could have gotten 3-4 sets of tires-- which would last me 2-3 seasons.

YMMV. Good luck.
I was surprised how difficult it seems to be to properly set a Vette up for track use compared to Porsches (which is what I've been running at the track for the past 20 years).
Old 02-16-2008, 04:30 PM
sambarnett
Racer

You might want to look into a set of 4 rear 01-04 Z06 wheels (18x10.5). A decent tire choice for the money is to put on them is the Kumho V710 in 315/35-18. With a square setup you can rotate the tires around the car and get better life out of them.

Another option is to get the 17x11 ZR1 replicas (Grand Sport offset) with the same tire. 315/35-17 size instead.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:09 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Great info! Thanks. I kind of like the C5 Z06 rear wheels on all 4 option. I also like the regular C6 wheels, but I'm sure the R comp 19 inch rear tires aren't cheap. Also does the 8.5 inch front wheel limit your front tire width to what 265/275?? I guess the 10.5 front isn't big enough to rub?

Do the 17x11 ZR1 replica wheels with the GS offset bolt right up with no clearance issues with the front Z51 rotors? I guess aftermarket brakes would be a no go with 17 inch front wheels?
Old 02-16-2008, 06:21 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Great info! Thanks. I kind of like the C5 Z06 rear wheels on all 4 option. I also like the regular C6 wheels, but I'm sure the R comp 19 inch rear tires aren't cheap. Also does the 8.5 inch front wheel limit your front tire width to what 265/275?? I guess the 10.5 front isn't big enough to rub?

Do the 17x11 ZR1 replica wheels with the GS offset bolt right up with no clearance issues with the front Z51 rotors? I guess aftermarket brakes would be a no go with 17 inch front wheels?
LGM Wilwood caliper fits 17" wheels and work great
Old 02-16-2008, 06:31 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John Shiels
LGM Wilwood caliper fits 17" wheels and work great
So, why doesn't everyone run 17x11 wheels with C6's front and rear? Seems like the best combo for good rubber front and rear, plus you get a bit of gearing multiplication as you have smaller wheels. Is there any issues with not having tire pressure sensors on the track wheels? I knew it wasn't an issue with my old C5, is it an issue with the C6?
Old 02-16-2008, 08:00 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I'm right there with you QUIKAG -

I talked to John Purner at CCW about using 4 rear C5 Z06 wheels on my '08 Z51 for HPDE's, and he said that they WILL stick out enough to crack the fenders on heavy compressions. Others here say they won't do that. I am afraid to invest in them until there is definitive proof from C6 owners that they WON'T bust-up my new car.

...And I don't know where to buy these 18x10.5's, anyway.

In general, this is a very frustrating situation. I don't want to buy skinny OEM C6 wheels, cause they limit the available tire sizes & compound choices. I don't want reproduction wheels cause they are heavy and weak. I don't have $2700 or more to drop on CCW's.

So NOW what to do?????
Old 02-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
So, why doesn't everyone run 17x11 wheels with C6's front and rear? Seems like the best combo for good rubber front and rear, plus you get a bit of gearing multiplication as you have smaller wheels. Is there any issues with not having tire pressure sensors on the track wheels? I knew it wasn't an issue with my old C5, is it an issue with the C6?
That's the first I've heard of running 17s! I honestly didn't think they would clear the Z51 brakes. See, learn something new every day.

I do run the C5Z 18x10.5s on all 4 and it works fine. I bought them new from Bob and they are really light too, which is an added bonus. $880 to my door!! Replicas are going to be heavier then even stock I suspect, which is not a good thing. I bought a set of TPSs and a resetting tool. You do need to have some solution for the computer. Some guys put TPSs in pvc pipes and make up these gizmos but it seems like a lot of work for nothing to me. I just bit the bullet and put them in the wheels. I run Toyo RA1s; 275s up front and 305s in the rear. Everyone says you can run the 305s all the way around but I chose this first and I plan (been lazy) to put the 305s up front and check for rubbing. If they don't, it's clearly smarter to run the 305s all the way around. It gives you lots of flexibility.

Word of caution, if your car is lowered, I would recommend bringing it back up. I didn't and the 305s rubbed the rear fenders and took off all the inner plastic along with the liner where they meet the fenders. You can't tell a thing from the outside, thank god, but it happened.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CrystalRacer
I'm right there with you QUIKAG -

I talked to John Purner at CCW about using 4 rear C5 Z06 wheels on my '08 Z51 for HPDE's, and he said that they WILL stick out enough to crack the fenders on heavy compressions. Others here say they won't do that. I am afraid to invest in them until there is definitive proof from C6 owners that they WON'T bust-up my new car.

...And I don't know where to buy these 18x10.5's, anyway.

In general, this is a very frustrating situation. I don't want to buy skinny OEM C6 wheels, cause they limit the available tire sizes & compound choices. I don't want reproduction wheels cause they are heavy and weak. I don't have $2700 or more to drop on CCW's.

So NOW what to do?????
Hockey puck! They won't stick out enough to crack your fenders. If anything, they may rub the inside (see my post above) but that will not happen if you car is at stock height. My stupid mistake but, again, I didn't do any permanent, visible damage and I am as **** as they get about my car. They are light weight, inexpensive (relatively) and give you lots of affordable tire options. I am going to the track in a couple weeks, this time I will take some pictures of them on the car. You can find them for sale ocassionally in the C5 section or you can get them from Bob at House of Wheels (forum sponsor) brand new for $880 shipped!

Last edited by Poppy's Vette; 02-16-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:25 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by pcervone
Hockey puck! They won't stick out enough to crack your fenders. If anything, they may rub the inside (see my post above) but that will not happen if you car is at stock height. My stupid mistake but, again, I didn't do any permanent, visible damage and I am as **** as they get about my car. They are light weight, inexpensive (relatively) and give you lots of affordable tire options. I am going to the track in a couple weeks, this time I will take some pictures of them on the car. You can find them for sale ocassionally in the C5 section or you can get them from Bob at House of Wheels (forum sponsor) brand new for $880 shipped!
...Man, I hope you're right about the 10.5" wheels, cause that would be such a great option! You don't have a widebody kit - right?

As Elwood Blues says "We'll talk to Bob..."

PLEASE do post some pics of your car with these mounted - especially with 305's on each corner.

How low do you think you can go WITHOUT doing damage? I was going to drop mine maybe 3/4" below stock, then get David Farmer to corner-weight and align it for a reasonable track/street compromise, though favoring the 'TRACK' side of things...

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 02-16-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:00 PM
sambarnett
Racer

If you want to run the 17" in the front you need to switch the caliper bracket to the C5 caliper bracket (I think the non Z51 bracket might work too) and you should be all good. At full lock the 315's may rub the inside a hair but if you are at full lock on a race track, rubbing is the least of your problems. I personally like the stock C5 Z06 rear wheel option. It worked great for me.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

...Man, I hope you're right about the 10.5" wheels, cause that would be such a great option! You don't have a widebody kit - right?

As Elwood Blues says "We'll talk to Bob..."

PLEASE do post some pics of your car with these mounted - especially with 305's on each corner.

How low do you think you can go WITHOUT doing damage? I was going to drop mine maybe 3/4" below stock, then get David Farmer to corner-weight and align it for a reasonable track/street compromise, thoguh favoring the 'TRACK' side of things...
I do not have a wide body. My car is lowered more than 3/4 inch I suspect but a real scientific measurement I don't have. I'm lowered on stock bolts up front (and not all the way) and WCC after market bolts in the rear. If you want to be safe, don't lower it. I run -1.5 camber in the front and -.85 in the rear. Which is rather conservative. Mine maxed out on the PS rear at -.85, otherwise I would have gone as much as -1.00 or -1.25. If I get aound to it I will take some pictures of my rear fenders and liners to show you how it rubbed.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:18 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

That's great. So, it sounds like for the least hassle (not having to swap any brake components), the 18x10.5 C5 Z06 wheels are the best way to go. So, who is this Bob gentleman? $880 for new factory 18x10.5 C5 Z06 wheels to the door? Where do I sign up?
Old 02-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheapp and Racing?? Does not exist.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Uncle Sam
Instructor

Bob's House of Wheels is Bob. My question is about the offsets of the 10.5 rears and unknown issues (such as wheel bearings or anything else). Also, would these wheels (10.5 Z06s) rub brake hoses running to your ducts at the front during regular steering.
L8 apexer, I am surprised as you that the Vette presents such track related "problems." The one extra quart of oil being required, the stock Z51 shocks being limited in rebound, brake wear issues, etc.. It is disappointing to me.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:48 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I stuck some C5 Z06 rear wheels 18X10.5 on the back of my car and they stick out at least an inch. Not for me, YMMV.That why I just went ahead and bought the CCWs. I am happy I did. Well worth the money. For the TPS, I would get a set for your track wheels and a reset tool. After a certain amount of miles or ignition cycles without the computer seeing the TPS you will get the service tire monitor an may interfere with getting into comp mode or turning off AH/TC.
Discount tire will usually reset them for free if you decide not to buy one.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:23 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

I left Bob (at House of Wheels) a PM, pointing to this thread. I'll let you know what he has to say if he doesn't post here himself. Rubbing/cracking, wheel bearing wear and interference with ducts are certainly things that have to be addressed before I buy anything.

In any case, it's conflicting reports like these from experienced DE'ers C6400HP and PCERVONE that concern & confuse me.

- How are you guys getting such different results? -

As far as being "cheap and racing" - I agree that's not a realistic goal either. Getting the maximum value and results from my DE budget is. There has to be some kind of wheels that are effectively-sized, readily available and safe ... somewhere between the inexpensive, untrustworthy generic repros and the elite, big-dollar CCW's and Fikse's.

I've used Fikse's for DE's in a Porsche before, and would go that route (or CCW) again in a hot minute if they just weren't so expensive. Paying for them will severely limit the number of events I can afford this year, and I need the seat time...

Get notified of new replies

To Best value wheel/R comp set-up for track days?

Old 02-17-2008, 01:41 AM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's conflicting reports like these from experienced DE'ers C6400HP and PCERVONE that concern & confuse me.

- How are you guys getting such different results? -
Getting a factual answer on the above is VERY frustrating and threads like this continually present totaly conflicting opinions.

The usual reply is "why don't you just use 17" wheels", or "get (4) Z06 rears & 3:15 tires".

You will find that most recommendations for using C5 Z05 wheels come from C5 owners and are for using them on C5s, NOT C6s.

And you can't use 17" wheels on a C6 Z-51 because of bigger rotors !!!

I have yet to see ANY pictures of C5 Z06 wheels on a C6 and at this point John at CCW is the only person I'm willing to trust.

The option I'm currently considering is buying brand new 18" & 19" tires for C6 wheels - They will be more expensive than (4) used 18" tires, but I wonder how many more track sessions you'll get with new tires as opposed to used ???

There has got to be a solution ...........................

Old 02-17-2008, 01:49 AM
Uncle Sam
Instructor

I would say the best way to go with no big hassles and being relatively sure that everything would work is: get a set of take offs (18F 19R) for approximately $400 and put on Toyos at 255/35-18F and 295/30-19R. Your tire choice could be different, but these can be driven to the track. If you go with stock Chinese knockoffs, about 2 lbs. more per wheel, you could use those for your street tires. Take my advice for what it is worth, which is nothing, since I am facing the same questions and I certainly don't know the answers from experience.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:57 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mwvettec5
And you can't use 17" wheels on a C6 Z-51 because of bigger rotors !!!

I have yet to see ANY pictures of C5 Z06 wheels on a C6 and at this point John at CCW is the only person I'm willing to trust.
I believe you are correct in that 17" wheels won't fit with Z51 brakes. However, the 17" are fine with the base brakes. I run the 17x11" ZR1-GS 50mm wheels F&R on my non-Z51 C6.

The 17x11's stick out so you can't go too low or you'll have straight-line rubbing over fast dips. I haven't had any cracks but I have had the plastic fenders ground down a little.

The 17x11's also hit the tie-rods and the back of the lower a-arms well before full lock so you need to watch that in the pits or on very tight turns in an autox. I wrapped a piece of sheet metal around the a-arms to prevent aluminum to aluminum contact. There is also contact with 18x11" wheels. With 315 tires I also experience some rubbing on my Z06 brake ducts.

But, the price is right as I paid $518 delivered for 4 new wheels w/lugs from forum vender Tomzwheels. That was awhile ago so don't count on the same price. Used Kumho 710s are plentiful in the 315 size and can be had for $200-500 for 4 depending on use.

--Dan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best value wheel/R comp set-up for track days?