Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Preasure HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 08:21 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tire Preasure HPDE

Could not find much on this topic during a search so figured I would ask here...

Is there a rule of thumb as to starting tire pressure for a HPDE in relation to track or ambient temps ? What pressure do you start out at? (firestone firehawks here)
Old 02-16-2008, 11:06 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

It depends on the Tires??? Michelin Cups 26 to 29 depending on outside temp and track temp. Different tires like different running temps and they heat at different rates. Tire manufactures list the best operating temps. JD

Last edited by JDIllon; 02-16-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I do follow the sequence as set forth in the shop manual but the following is from Zeckhausen Racing:

"Bleeding is done one wheel at a time. The "old timers" will tell you to start with the wheel furthest away from the master cylinder and then work your way closer. Typically, this would mean RR, LR, RF, then LF. However, it doesn't really matter if you start with the front or rear wheels, since they are on separate brake circuits on modern cars with ABS and/or dynamic stability control systems. However, you should start with the passenger side wheel and then do the driver's side."
Old 02-17-2008, 05:02 PM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I do follow the sequence as set forth in the shop manual but the following is from Zeckhausen Racing:

"Bleeding is done one wheel at a time. The "old timers" will tell you to start with the wheel furthest away from the master cylinder and then work your way closer. Typically, this would mean RR, LR, RF, then LF. However, it doesn't really matter if you start with the front or rear wheels, since they are on separate brake circuits on modern cars with ABS and/or dynamic stability control systems. However, you should start with the passenger side wheel and then do the driver's side."
Uh, wrong thread. Maybe?
Old 02-18-2008, 12:23 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your experience and how hard you push your car will make a difference as well. The harder you push the car, the more heat your tires will generate = higher psi.

On cold mornings, I've been told to add about 5 psi to help the tires heat up faster. As the temps warm up (ambient and track) you will need to lower tire pressure.

My last HPDE on BFG street tires, I started out at 33 psi as it was pretty cool oustide. At the end of the session they were ~ 40psi. One session I did not check my tires and got high tire pressure warnings on all 4 tires (~44 psi). As the day went on I lowered pressure to ~28 psi before a run and would end up ~40 psi.

Others with much more experience than me will probably chime in (and may correct me) but that has been my experience. You don't want your max pressure to be more than what your tire manufacturer states. Count on an increase of 10 psi during a run.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:47 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JDIllon
It depends on the Tires??? Michelin Cups 26 to 29 depending on outside temp and track temp. Different tires like different running temps and they heat at different rates. Tire manufactures list the best operating temps. JD
Mike has had me start as you suggest about 29 cold and when they get heated up run at about 36-27. Is that what you have been running hot? (assume your on pilot sport cups R compound?)
Old 02-19-2008, 09:08 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by snitz
Mike has had me start as you suggest about 29 cold and when they get heated up run at about 36-27. Is that what you have been running hot? (assume your on pilot sport cups R compound?)
That is about what I have been running. Although there have been several threads stating they hold better if you start at 26-27 I've never started that low but I am going to try the lower settings this spring. JD
Old 02-19-2008, 10:18 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JDIllon
That is about what I have been running. Although there have been several threads stating they hold better if you start at 26-27 I've never started that low but I am going to try the lower settings this spring. JD
Cool. Hope you can make it back to Autobahn this year!
Old 02-20-2008, 05:34 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
Could not find much on this topic during a search so figured I would ask here...

Is there a rule of thumb as to starting tire pressure for a HPDE in relation to track or ambient temps ? What pressure do you start out at? (firestone firehawks here)
Haven't run WO's ... but a guy who does starts them cold around 30 and wants a hot off-track temp ~ 37 ... more and they get greasy.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:23 PM
ajderzie
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I start at 30 all the way around then see. I usually end up bleeding some air during the day but don't get too fixated on chasing tire temps. 36 hot is usually pretty good.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MNElectronBlue2002
Uh, wrong thread. Maybe?
I guess so. Sorry about that.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Preasure HPDE

Quick Reply: Tire Preasure HPDE