Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the c6 HUD g-meter accurate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:03 PM
9secz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is the c6 HUD g-meter accurate?

Firstly, for those of you already composing your replies, please read my prefaces.

Preface 1: I did search here. Honest. Mostly I found arguments centered on the utility of the g-meter as a track tool. I'm not asking about that.

Preface 2: I did my spirited driving on Mines Road south of Livermore. It is empty out there! No cross streets, a driveway every 5 miles or so, plenty of good visibility corners mixed in with the blind ones. And I do my spirited driving fully aware of the potential for meeting oncoming traffic, bicycles, etc. The only corners I hit hard are the full visibility ones. The blind ones I treat as though a bike is coming the other way.

Preface 3: I was not watching or studying the HUD when I should have been focused on the road. OTOH, if I was at or beyond the apex and had already confirmed that I was staying in my lane and there was nothing but empty road in front of me, I did glance at it.

Now to the question:

Is there any data to confirm or repudiate the accuracy of the C6 HUD g-meter? I made several turns in the 0.95 to 0.98 neighborhood, and two above 1.0 (1.02 and 1.07). The 1+ readings were in corners with dips that unloaded, then planted the suspension.

The car is a bone stock base C6. No Z51, no magnetic levitation, stock ride height, stock runflats, 125 miles on the clock.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:25 PM
reidry
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 02-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As an engineer, I used to work on silicon and quartz based accelerometers and rate sensors many years ago. Your G readings are probably instantaneous peak reading, much higher than steady state sustained cornering values but I would guess that the readings are accurate to within .02 G's. This is just a seat of the pants estimate, but instrument accuracy has evolved to a pretty high level.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:40 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I don't know the exact part number used for the accelerometers in the Z06 but typical accuracy for automotive units are 5% or less. As with any tool that you measure with it is often more important that it is repeatable rather than absolutely accurate. I think that if you compare numbers with others just keep in mind a 3 to 5% accuracy and that should give a proper perspective. Keep in mind that if you don't have a data logger that can show you the difference in averages and peaks the HUD is only marginally useful because it will show a bump induced peak g that will be higher than steady state cornering.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:03 PM
whosurdaddy
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I use a data acqusition device to evaluate track performance. I can tell you that I have noted similarities between the HUD readings vs what comes out of my PerformanceBox from Race Logic.

Get notified of new replies

To Is the c6 HUD g-meter accurate?

Quick Reply: Is the c6 HUD g-meter accurate?