Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets, helmets and more.. helmets

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 06:48 AM
neoxaero
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmets, helmets and more.. helmets

Since I'm needing a helmet, I figured this was the place to ask

What kinda helmets are you guys using?

I assume a motorcycle helmet will suffice for my uses (track days and the such) I figure any type of helmet that protected me from a 140mph+ High side should offer plenty of protection for a car

Thoughts, concerns, pics?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:02 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

MA "motorcycle" helmet will not do, you need a SA helmet to pass tech for most HPD's, Pyrotect and Gforce are two of the cheaper brands, and alot of people rec full face, because we have to drive with our windows down during events and debris can fly into cockpit.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:52 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by PA Z06
MA "motorcycle" helmet will not do, you need a SA helmet to pass tech for most HPD's, Pyrotect and Gforce are two of the cheaper brands, and alot of people rec full face, because we have to drive with our windows down during events and debris can fly into cockpit.

Not all helmets are designed the same. Motorcycle helmets are not designed for automobile use .ie different impact and crush zones Plus you sit differently on a motorcyle vs sitting in a car. The helmets fit differently on your head more info at snell.org

SA or Special Application helmets also have Nomex or fire proof liners.

the current rating is SA2005. Most clubs will go back one racing or SA2000

Some clubs MIGHT allow a fist time student to get by with an M rated helmet, M2000 or newer, however that is MIGHT. or maybe. Not likely
Old 02-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And remember the " I've gotta a $50 head so I wear a $50 helmit." rule.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:57 AM
JohnnyB51
Instructor

SCCA PDX's and I believe NASA HPDE's do allow Snell approved motorcycle helmets. Must be 2000 or 2005 dated.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:12 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by JohnnyB51
SCCA PDX's and I believe NASA HPDE's do allow Snell approved motorcycle helmets. Must be 2000 or 2005 dated.
Yep, my experience has been that my M-rated helmets got me through most of my HPDE requirements.

BUT

I'd highly recommend getting an SA2005 helmet since you're in the market. It will always qualify, and is well worth the extra $100 or so you'll probably spend.

Even though I do have a $50 head, I still got a decent helmet.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:12 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

None of the PCA clubs allow the M rated. I am ordering my SA helmet today from Soloracer.com. Prices are pretty much the same everywhere (price fixing?). I couldn't decide between the full and open faced, so I decided to try the hybrid from G Force. If I don't like it, then I will just use it for passengers. Al I have used so far for track days is a borrowed M rated helmet from a friend. It is full faced but I never used the shield.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:01 PM
neoxaero
Intermediate

thanks for the info guys

Now i'm kicking myself for buying a X-Eleven Shoei (~700 dollar helmet) and selling my track bike 2 weeks later.. lol
Old 02-18-2008, 03:12 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Hetzel
And remember the " I've gotta a $50 head so I wear a $50 helmit." rule.
I thought it was Ten dollar head or did inflation take it upward?
Old 02-18-2008, 03:26 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by neoxaero
thanks for the info guys

Now i'm kicking myself for buying a X-Eleven Shoei (~700 dollar helmet) and selling my track bike 2 weeks later.. lol
Sell the Shoei on one one of the motorcycle forums and pickup an Arai auto racing helmet.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:26 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Maybe a higher intellegence level?

One of the things to consider when buyuing a helmet online or mail order is that not all helmets fit the same even if they are marked as the same size. I tried a Simpson LX and a Bell Mag 4 in the same size and the the Simpson was way too loose wven with the strap as tight as I could get it.

Some manufacturers use a S, M, or L while others use a hat size.

Last edited by c4cruiser; 02-18-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:40 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I could never buy a helmet online unless it was the exact same helmet
Old 02-18-2008, 05:48 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Found this on NASA NE site

"Helmet Requirements for 2007
All helmets must be SA-2000 or better. No motorcycle helmets."
Old 02-18-2008, 07:14 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Speaking as a rookie and having listened to people in this forum. You must try them on, you can try on two helmets of the same make and size and they will fit differently. Also weight is a fact in terms of G force impact, the lighter the better. My choice was the Bell Pro 4 with an extra anti fog shield that actually works. Also don't forget the head sox to keep the sweat out of your eyes. Thanks Guys for the education. Get fitted by someone who knows there craft not by some kid in a speed shop

Last edited by CodeBlack; 07-04-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Zee916
Pro

I wear and Arai GP5. Its over $1000 but my head is worth about $140,000 at this point so better protect it.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:49 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

I use a G-force helmet SA-2000 in my dirt car. It was $500 not the cheapest but not as expensive as Arai for sure.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:55 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I got my SA2005 G-Force for $249.00 shop around and you will find some good pricing.

Get notified of new replies

To Helmets, helmets and more.. helmets

Old 02-18-2008, 09:34 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

The Snell Foundation has all the specs and info on the different types of helmet standards on the market. Their website is www.smf.org.

Here is their short answer on the different between the ratings:
"What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?
The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:
- The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
- The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
- The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi impact test while M standard does not."

If you want the actual standards, you can download them from their site in pdf format.

I've personally been partial to Simpson helmets over the years. Have a Simpson Bandit for passengers in DEs and I use an SA2005 air induction Simpson Shark - a very lightweight helmet. Cost something like $695.

Something to consider when buying a new helmet is a HANS device. Having gone through a 100+ mph impact with a concret wall (don't advise it), I strongly recommend a HANS device (I had one). Most new helmets can be made with the HANS device mounting points build into them saving you the trouble of having to drill into your high dollar helmet.

Contrary to some of the posters above, I've always had good luck buying helmets over the internet. My last three helmets (all Simpson) were all bought over the internet without any fitament issues.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 02-19-2008, 08:42 AM
dmwhite
Racer

Originally Posted by CodeBlack
You must try them on, you can try on two helmets of the same made and size and they will fit differently.
yep, i've seen it...

Also don't forget the head sox to keep the sweat out of your eyes.
also helps keep your helmet smelling (somewhat) fresh and will make the interior last longer...
Old 02-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I don't know if it's inflation or years of on track experience that's driven the price of my head to $50+ , my biggest problem is keepin' it outa my butt.

John's right about buying a helmit online in you haven't tried the same model and size on. You'll end up sending it back or, worse yet, wearing a helmit that dosen't fit right.

Quick Reply: Helmets, helmets and more.. helmets