Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First experience with DOT approved competition tires.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:03 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default First experience with DOT approved competition tires.

I mounted a set of Nitto 555R2 extreme tires on the stock '03 ZO6 this weekend and all I can say is WOW.
I've never experienced such a level of traction. With my worn Supercars, I could blow the tires off from a roll in 1st and 2nd pretty easily. No way that's gonna happen with the Nitto's.
I can't wait to feel them this Friday at Roebling with Seat-time. Jeez - what the hell would a set of true track tires feel like.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:14 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

It truly allows the incredible chassis of the Corvette to be explored to the limits. Going from stock, street tires to a good set of R-comp tires really shows the incredible limits of the Vettes handling!
Old 02-18-2008, 05:37 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go Hoosier A6 and hang on !
Old 02-18-2008, 07:25 PM
az55
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sperkins
I mounted a set of Nitto 555R2 extreme tires on the stock '03 ZO6 this weekend and all I can say is WOW.
I've never experienced such a level of traction. With my worn Supercars, I could blow the tires off from a roll in 1st and 2nd pretty easily. No way that's gonna happen with the Nitto's.
I can't wait to feel them this Friday at Roebling with Seat-time. Jeez - what the hell would a set of true track tires feel like.

I was REALLY impressed with the Nitto 555 Rll when I ran them. I was keeping up with guys on race tires who had more power( I had a stockC5Z06). The predictability of the Nitto blew my mind. They take a lot of heat as well(I run in Phoenix, AZ). Plus you can drive home on them!

I have a new car with bigger power so I can't run the Nitto race tires because they only come in 315 max width. If Nitto starts making 335 or 345 race tires, I'll try them in a heartbeat. Until then, I'm going to alternate between Hoosier R6 and Yokohama A005's.

Cheers,
CV
Old 02-19-2008, 11:59 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I agree with you guys so far that it really is a very grippy and predictable tire. I went for a joy ride last night and was once again really amazed at the grip these things offer. It looks like it's going to rain on us this Friday at Roebling Road, but hopefully the sun will make an appearance. I'll give you guys an update this weekend.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:25 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

I ran RRR back in January on my new 555RIIs and you're going to love it!
I had run there for almost a year with stock tires and thought I was pretty fast. I was able to shave seconds off my best lap and pretty much stick anywhere on the track without getting loose like I did on my Toyo street tires. Have fun!
Old 02-19-2008, 06:19 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

How do the 555R2's compare to the Toyo R888? I have heard that some Toyos & Nittos are very close cousins, under the skin...

Just trying to narrow down what will be the best tires intended to drive TO,FROM & DURING the HPDE events for a basically-stock Z51 C6 with (hopefully) wider wheels and C5 brakes...

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 02-19-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:57 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
I Jeez - what the hell would a set of true track tires feel like.
It feels like more $$ going out of your pocket
Old 02-19-2008, 07:20 PM
lbarnard
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried the Hoosier R-compound and the Nitto-ExtremeII- both great tire options but I am on my 2nd set of Nitto's; they are durable and really hook-up on the track; as they wear out you can move them over to the other side to get maximum wear!
Old 02-19-2008, 08:52 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

glad to see you happy with your decision on what tire??? just remember a stickier tire may loose traction more abruptly than a street tire.... be patient and carefull....
Old 02-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TRACKMAN2
glad to see you happy with your decision on what tire??? just remember a stickier tire may loose traction more abruptly than a street tire.... be patient and carefull....

Listen to your tires - they will talk to you when you push them hard - just need to train your ears and recalibrate your "seat-of-the-pants meter" since the R-compounds will give you a little less warning than street tires. Enjoy!
Old 02-20-2008, 05:30 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by CrystalRacer
How do the 555R2's compare to the Toyo R888? I have heard that some Toyos & Nittos are very close cousins, under the skin...

Just trying to narrow down what will be the best tires intended to drive TO,FROM & DURING the HPDE events for a basically-stock Z51 C6 with (hopefully) wider wheels and C5 brakes...
Both are 100 UTQG and similar in thread. I think 888's might cost a bit more.
Check price and size availability. Nitto's limited sizes (RII's not available in 19" IIRC), but will work on the C5Z; 888's may or may not be available in right size.

Get notified of new replies

To First experience with DOT approved competition tires.

Quick Reply: First experience with DOT approved competition tires.