Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference in A6 and R6 tires

Old 02-18-2008, 11:27 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Difference in A6 and R6 tires

Could someone explain the difference in the Hoosier A6 and R6 race tires? I am thinking about buying a set for my so I can quit tearing up my street tires.

Thanks for any help Jeff
Old 02-19-2008, 12:31 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

In general, A6's are for autocross and R6's are for road racing/track days. The A6 is a much softer compound that is favorable for autocrossing, where you need maximum grip at low temperatures. R6's are harder, require more temperature, and are better suited for longer runs such as on a road course; in autocross conditions they're generally uncompetitive. Although many T1 and other class competitors run on A6's for their qualifying and 20(?) lap races, they're generally not recommended for long runs due to their much faster wear rate.

Last edited by 69autoXr; 02-19-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:59 AM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, for the info, by the way I caught your video on the C3 site and your car really looks well balanced on the auto cross course, of course like someone once said it has something to do with the spacer between the seat and the steering wheel.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:15 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Unless you are looking for the last few tenths of a second in times, I would look more toward a set of Kuhmo 710's than the Hoosiers. Reason being that the Hoosiers are for sure a very little bit faster, but the Kuhmo's will last a lot longer and if you aren't trying to set FTD, in the long run they may be a lot less expensive.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:00 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69autoXr
In general, A6's are for autocross and R6's are for road racing/track days. The A6 is a much softer compound that is favorable for autocrossing, where you need maximum grip at low temperatures. R6's are harder, require more temperature, and are better suited for longer runs such as on a road course; in autocross conditions they're generally uncompetitive. Although many T1 and other class competitors run on A6's for their qualifying and 20(?) lap races, they're generally not recommended for long runs due to their much faster wear rate.
A is for autocross and R is for road racing.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:22 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
Unless you are looking for the last few tenths of a second in times, I would look more toward a set of Kuhmo 710's than the Hoosiers. Reason being that the Hoosiers are for sure a very little bit faster, but the Kuhmo's will last a lot longer and if you aren't trying to set FTD, in the long run they may be a lot less expensive.
arn't the 710s kind hard to come by right now? Several T1 and NASA guys are switching to the Hoosier as they can get the Kumhos

Get notified of new replies

To Difference in A6 and R6 tires

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Difference in A6 and R6 tires