Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drawbacks w/ Sparco seat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:43 PM
SteveC6R
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drawbacks w/ Sparco seat?

I just finished putting my seat in the car and wanted to ask those that have done if there are any drawbacks after installing it with the airbag and seatbelts being unplugged? I guess what I am getting at is it doesn't throw some crazy code that send the car into limp mode or something?

It's a C6 BTW.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:12 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pfadt sells a wiring harness to keep the ABS light off and the telescoping steering wheel working...
Old 02-20-2008, 12:14 AM
SteveC6R
Instructor

Don't have tele wheel and I don't see where ABS has anything to do with the seat.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:20 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry. Airbag light. At least my brain got the "A B" part right.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:02 AM
SteveC6R
Instructor

Old 02-20-2008, 06:34 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not a C6, so I can't speak for the tech stuff, but the only issue I had in a C5 was getting in/out of the car turned into a pain
Old 02-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

Originally Posted by SteveC6R
I just finished putting my seat in the car and wanted to ask those that have done if there are any drawbacks after installing it with the airbag and seatbelts being unplugged? I guess what I am getting at is it doesn't throw some crazy code that send the car into limp mode or something?

It's a C6 BTW.
Steve,

As you have probably already noticed, a couple of things will happen to your car when you remove the drivers seat. First, the airbag light will come on. That is because you took out two of the airbags from the system and the computer is telling you that there is a problem (they're missing).

The second thing that happens is that your telescoping wheel (if equipped) will not work any longer. That is about it for the drama.

The Pfadt wiring harness for the C6 has two components to it. One is a harness that allows you to keep the memory seat module - normally attached to the bottom of the drivers seat - in the car and functional. For overly complicated GM reasons, that box has to be in there for the tele wheel to work.

The second component of our kit is a small harness that turns off your airbag light. It does nothing more than that. The SRS (airbag system) is very complicated and computer controlled. Pfadt makes no claims as to the functionality of the system after removing the seat/airbags. The mechanical components of the safety system are compromised and the system will not work as designed. Our kit will turn off the light in the dash. It is up to the driver to determine the safety of the car and the risks associated with removing the seat.

The harness is not currently on our website because our website is undergoing a major revision. The harness are available, just call and we can get on shipped out to you. The cost on the harness is $100.

Please feel free to call if you have any questions.

thanks,
Aaron
Old 02-21-2008, 12:52 PM
jbednarsh
Instructor

Thanks for the info Aaron. Two more questions for you...

1) Do either component of the harness create any issues when re-installing the stock seat? I plan on using race seats only on track days, then swapping the stock seat back in for normal use.

2) Just to be clear, this works for all flavors of C6? I have a 2LZ Z06...

Thx
jb
Old 02-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jbednarsh
Thanks for the info Aaron. Two more questions for you...

1) Do either component of the harness create any issues when re-installing the stock seat? I plan on using race seats only on track days, then swapping the stock seat back in for normal use.

2) Just to be clear, this works for all flavors of C6? I have a 2LZ Z06...

Thx
jb
1) Nope, you just unplug the harness and plug the stock stuff back in. No cutting or modifying.

2) It works on all C6s up to this point. Our Z is a 2LZ also and it works great.

-Aaron
Old 02-21-2008, 02:22 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Aaron Pfadt
Steve,

As you have probably already noticed, a couple of things will happen to your car when you remove the drivers seat. First, the airbag light will come on. That is because you took out two of the airbags from the system and the computer is telling you that there is a problem (they're missing).

The second thing that happens is that your telescoping wheel (if equipped) will not work any longer. That is about it for the drama.

The Pfadt wiring harness for the C6 has two components to it. One is a harness that allows you to keep the memory seat module - normally attached to the bottom of the drivers seat - in the car and functional. For overly complicated GM reasons, that box has to be in there for the tele wheel to work.

The second component of our kit is a small harness that turns off your airbag light. It does nothing more than that. The SRS (airbag system) is very complicated and computer controlled. Pfadt makes no claims as to the functionality of the system after removing the seat/airbags. The mechanical components of the safety system are compromised and the system will not work as designed. Our kit will turn off the light in the dash. It is up to the driver to determine the safety of the car and the risks associated with removing the seat.

The harness is not currently on our website because our website is undergoing a major revision. The harness are available, just call and we can get on shipped out to you. The cost on the harness is $100.

Please feel free to call if you have any questions.

thanks,
Aaron
So, this harness gets rid of the annoyances and still allows the telescopic wheel to work when replacing seats?

If yes, I'll buy one today!
Old 02-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR
So, this harness gets rid of the annoyances and still allows the telescopic wheel to work when replacing seats?

If yes, I'll buy one today!

Yep, it's that simple.

The one caveat is that if you are removing both seats, the passenger side airbag stuff is nearly impossible to fool. The seat has a computer in it that tells the car whether a passenger is present etc... The consequence is that the airbag light will stay on if you pull both seats. The tele wheel and everything else will still work though.

-Aaron
Old 02-21-2008, 09:14 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Aaron Pfadt

Yep, it's that simple.

The one caveat is that if you are removing both seats, the passenger side airbag stuff is nearly impossible to fool. The seat has a computer in it that tells the car whether a passenger is present etc... The consequence is that the airbag light will stay on if you pull both seats. The tele wheel and everything else will still work though.

-Aaron
I'll call tomorrow!

Old 02-21-2008, 10:42 PM
SteveC6R
Instructor

If I knew my thread might generate some sales for you Aaron, I would have asked for a discount when I ordered my seat mount from you.

BTW, where can I find info. on your new shocks (non-coilover) for the C6? Don't see them listed on the website.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:18 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Ordered a harness and a couple other items!

Thanks for solving a problem I didn't even know I had yet!

Old 02-22-2008, 02:09 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The bottom mount Sparcos are Side mount seats work a million times better in a Vette or small cockpit car.

Randy
Old 02-22-2008, 07:16 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I put my race seat in a few years ago I didn't know it would disable the Wheel. Now I don't even know if it is in or out. Anyone have a measurement so I can check mine? Might make getting in and out easier with my Kirkey. I guess it would be good with a quick release wheel I want to put in also? Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Drawbacks w/ Sparco seat?

Quick Reply: Drawbacks w/ Sparco seat?