Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel Reach/Distance question...

Old 02-20-2008, 10:05 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Steering wheel Reach/Distance question...

Once more...why are the NASCAR type cars set-up so the steering wheel is "crammed" all the way back almost to ones elbows.

Is this for comfort or some other safety reason???

It would seem to me that a mid-reach would be the most comfortable and most accurate steering reach/distance.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:09 AM
steve J06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

from what i see, it's because they lay their whole right forearm across the wheel in the turns. better control with less fatigue over 3+ hrs.

but then again nascar in general doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:21 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The muscles in your arms.

It is much easer and your arm muscle are stronger when you pull the steering wheel DOWN. vs push over the top.

ie for a left turn,

Pull the wheel down with your left arm vs push the steering wheel over the top with your right. also having that 90* bend in your elbow provides stronger forearm muscles. If you dont have a 90* bend in the forearm you wind up using shoulder muscles which will fatique very quickly.

Being up close and personal with the steering wheel makes much easer to pull the steering wheel down
Old 02-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The old style with arms stretched out doesn't work well. Most driving books recommend a seating position similar to the NASCAR drivers. However, they probably are closer to the wheel than other drivers since they have more need to get as much strength to bear on the wheel as it takes (even with power steering) a lot more force to steer their cars than other types of race cars.
Bill
Old 02-20-2008, 01:33 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

So what is the best distance/position for Road Racing???

Mid-Reach or Up against your forearm???
Old 02-20-2008, 01:55 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it's all about leverage to prevent fatigue in NASCAR and everyone would have a personal best in RR
Old 02-20-2008, 02:02 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of it is just comfort, but you should almost certainly be closer than your typical seating position when you're just getting groceries.

You will experience lots of G-forces and the further out your arms are, the more fatigued they will become. ...maybe not in 1 or 2 sessions, but definitely by the end of the day/weekend.

And you can't really think about just 1 session unless that's all you want to run. As the weekend drags on and you become more tired, that could result in just 1 mistake...and that might be enough to end your weekend or worse. When you're tired, hot, dehydrated, etc., you tend to make more mistakes.

If you're racing, and start making mistakes, you lose races...or worse. All this goes hand-in-hand with conditioning and driver comfort:
- Stay in good condition
- Stay hydrated
- Use a driver cooling system (I like the Cool Shirt)
- Use a good suit, gloves, boots, helmet, etc, etc, etc....
Old 02-20-2008, 02:03 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was always taught to have more bend in my elbows than I ever used in normal street driving. Quite difficult to get used to for me. Unless you body is perfectly suited, I doubt you can have both perfect arm positon and still have a good position for working your pedals. I am only 5'7" and I am too close to the pedals if my arms are a true 90 degree bend. Those cars have more customized seating possibilties than mine for sure.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:24 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

I'm limited by my knees hitting the dash and my helmet hitting the roof, but I try to get as close as I can to the wheel. Better control, less fatigue, and better visibility too.

I think the NASCAR guys sit that close so they can steer with their teeth if their arms get tired.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:26 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

i just put the new steering shaft /quick release wheel in the race car.. i set it up for a 90 degree bend in my arm i used a longer shaft to get the wheel out closer to me.. its feels much more comfortable than the one in the zo6....much more leverage...
Old 02-20-2008, 07:28 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

What I was told by an instructor was you sit in the seat and adjust the height of the wheel to be level. Then put your arms through the wheel, adjust it so that its just about 1" past your wrist and thats where you want to be.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering wheel Reach/Distance question...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering wheel Reach/Distance question...