Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Brake upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 12:27 PM
LDB C5
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default C5 Brake upgrade questions

Performance mods are in sig below. Current primary use is on the street, with the occasional "spirited" driving . I am planning to do a couple of "track days" this year as well. I would like to upgrade the brakes, and I have a couple of questions that I believe the members here could answer or at least point me in the right direction.

I would like to upgrade my rotors; particularly the rears. They look small through the wheels, and I really hate it. I have read and heard enough stories about drilled rotors cracking at the track, but my question is given my intended use is this likely to be a probem?

Do I need to upgrade my calipers as well? My preference would be to not spend $5K if there is no real benefit in my intended application.

Suggestions?
Recommendations?

I am all ears Thanks in advance
Old 02-22-2008, 12:36 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Use your rotors until they crack.

NAPA / Rabestos rotors are the ones of choice. $27/30 each

Plus fresh DOT 4 brake fluid and race brake pads. There are no combo brake pads

The stock PBR caliper is a very good caliper.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:42 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with Golden Eagle - for only a couple of days a year - fresh fluid and quality pads are all you need. If you are going to get more serious, SS lines, cooling ducts and stainless caliper pistons should be considered.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:49 PM
LDB C5
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks guys Thats pretty much what I was hoping to hear.

Follow up; What about increasing the diameter of the rear rotor to better fill the wheel?

I realize that this is primarily bling, but I really HATE the way they look stock. Will I be OK going with the Baer Eradispeed rotors given that it will only be one or two days a year? Also, Baer has offered to make rotors in the same size and configuration that are SLOTTED only. would this be a better option?

TIA
Old 02-22-2008, 12:53 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB C5
Thanks guys Thats pretty much what I was hoping to hear.

Follow up; What about increasing the diameter of the rear rotor to better fill the wheel?

I realize that this is primarily bling, but I really HATE the way they look stock. Will I be OK going with the Baer Eradispeed rotors given that it will only be one or two days a year? Also, Baer has offered to make rotors in the same size and configuration that are SLOTTED only. would this be a better option?

TIA
Screw the way it looks it how it STOPS that counts.

The brake Bias on the corvette is heavily front bias, so larger rear rotors are not needed and could be a detriment under extreme braking.

Slots are better then D&S but ALL rotors crack sooner then latter. If the Eradispeed rotors are the same thickness as stock, dont bother. Just get the NAPAs for $30 each.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Brake upgrade questions

Quick Reply: C5 Brake upgrade questions