Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyo T1R experience? shave or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 05:32 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Toyo T1R experience? shave or not?

I know conventional wisdom is to shave full tread depth tires if they are to be used for track use but does that hold true for these newer thread designs? There aren't really many individual tread blocks that can squirm and chunk but does that really matter? Will a full tread depth still chunk? Does anyone have experience running Toyo T1R's in either or both configurations?
Old 02-23-2008, 02:42 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I've run the T1Rs unshaved for 14 HPDE's or so without a problem. I also run ducted SSBC calipers with Carbotech pads so I push the Toyos pretty hard.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:50 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

How does the T1R compare to the previous T1S??

My 02 coupe has a set of T1-S tires and the rears are at the wear bars but the front tires are near-new. The T1-S is no longer made and it would be cheaper to buy just a pair of T1R's for the rear (295/35-18).
Old 02-24-2008, 03:23 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Last C5
I've run the T1Rs unshaved for 14 HPDE's or so without a problem. I also run ducted SSBC calipers with Carbotech pads so I push the Toyos pretty hard.
what are your track temps? prob a bit diff in Arizona, we melt tires!
Old 02-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyguns
what are your track temps? prob a bit diff in Arizona, we melt tires!
I don't really remember, I was more interested in keeping the temps even across the tread. T1Rs might get a little greasy in extreme heat but I don't think they're going to ever chunk on you. I've run mine in the middle of summer on 90 degree days (That's a hot day in Portland) without a problem.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:13 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Thanks for the info Last C5. It is appreciated. I'll go ahead and run them at full tread depth.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:10 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran my T1Rs in 14 or so HPDE before switching to Nitto 555RII for track use. I didn't have any problems with the T1Rs and most of my events were summer. They held up extremely well and still have significant tread life remaining, and I fully expect to get a couple more years of street use out of them. I've never seen anyone shave these (T1R) tires, but doesn't me you can't. If you want something for the track that you can shave the Toyo RA1 or R888 might be better choices. I would ask someone who specializes in track tires. Bob Woodman Tires, Appalachian Racing Tires, Edge Racing etc are a few. I'm sure there are Forum vendors who could give advice as well.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:51 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Jim, I'm not looking for max performance. I'm just trying not to destroy a new set of tires in the first session. With your experience and Last C5's I know I can run the T1R at full tread depth. I ran some worn BFG G-force KDWS for 2 sessions on my 04 GTO and they chunked. So I just don't want to do that to a new set of Toyos.

Get notified of new replies

To Toyo T1R experience? shave or not?

Quick Reply: Toyo T1R experience? shave or not?