Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exploring lightweight wheel options for SS autocross

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 10:25 PM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exploring lightweight wheel options for SS autocross

I'm chewing on the thought of finding a set of wheels that are lighter than Z06 speedlines. They have to be SCCA Super Stock legal which means I would need 17x9.5's for the front and 18x10.5's for the rear. The backspacing can only vary +/- .25" from stock.

Other than CCW classics, do any of you specifically know of significantly lighter wheels than the OEM Z06 speedlines?

Thanks
Old 02-22-2008, 11:03 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thehammer69
I'm chewing on the thought of finding a set of wheels that are lighter than Z06 speedlines. They have to be SCCA Super Stock legal which means I would need 17x9.5's for the front and 18x10.5's for the rear. The backspacing can only vary +/- .25" from stock.

Other than CCW classics, do any of you specifically know of significantly lighter wheels than the OEM Z06 speedlines?

Thanks

SSR Comp
Old 02-23-2008, 12:31 AM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C6400hp
SSR Comp
I like those...

anybody have any other suggestions?

Hammer
Old 02-24-2008, 07:44 PM
96CELT4
Burning Brakes

Well if money is no option you could look into carbon fiber wheels. Looks like Dymag made some for the Callaway so maybe they make some for the Z06? http://www.dymag-usa.com/archives/20...wheels_an.html

However the speedlines are already fairly light at 19 lbs for the fronts and 21 lbs for the rears. I think the CCW only save you maybe 2 lbs on each rim.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:24 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Kodiak make some very nice, and slightly lighter than stock, wheels in stock Z sizes. I think the 2-piece are the lightest, but I'm not positive.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

To my mind you would have to save two or three pounds per wheel to make a difference and going from the Stock Speedlines to something that much lighter is going to cost a bundle.

Most folks just stick to the speedlines and spend the extra on test time. There is a bigger payoff in that than in dumping a bundle into wheels that have a minimal payoff.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:49 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CELT4
Well if money is no option you could look into carbon fiber wheels. Looks like Dymag made some for the Callaway so maybe they make some for the Z06? http://www.dymag-usa.com/archives/20...wheels_an.html

However the speedlines are already fairly light at 19 lbs for the fronts and 21 lbs for the rears. I think the CCW only save you maybe 2 lbs on each rim.
Carbon fiber (non-metallic) wheels aren't legal. I had thought about getting a one-off set built when my company was comtemplating an initiative on composite wheels.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:30 PM
96CELT4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by acrace
Carbon fiber (non-metallic) wheels aren't legal. I had thought about getting a one-off set built when my company was comtemplating an initiative on composite wheels.
Al, is it that the the stock rules specifically prohibit non-metallic wheels or is it a DOT rating issue?

BTW, are you going to make it down to the National Tour event in Atlanta this year?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:06 AM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Solofast
To my mind you would have to save two or three pounds per wheel to make a difference and going from the Stock Speedlines to something that much lighter is going to cost a bundle.

Most folks just stick to the speedlines and spend the extra on test time. There is a bigger payoff in that than in dumping a bundle into wheels that have a minimal payoff.
Yeah, I understand and pretty much agree with you. I already have two sets of extra Speedlines I use for AX and HPDE purposes but figured since I was not hurting for money right now, that I would explore my options. So far, the SSR comps seem like a somewhat decent possibility...but considering I could probably pick up another set of used Speedlines for about the price of one SSR comp, I need to evaluate the worth of doing so.

I guess the biggest thing that may push me that way is I'm on a quest to make my cars appearance look nice while autocrossing. I basically competed all last year with painters tape for my numbers. This year I want to go professional looking with custom vinyl numbers...maybe add a stripe kit to the car...and set it off with a good looking set of lightweight wheels.

Hammer
Old 02-25-2008, 12:21 AM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

I found a Japanese website that had the published weights of the SSR comps.

Depending on backspacing, the fronts would weigh 7.4-7.6 KG....So lets call it 7.5Kg

The rears would weigh 8.92KG.

This would be about 16.5lbs for the fronts and 19.6lbs for the rears. Making about a 3lb savings in the front and about a 2lb savings in the rear.

Hammer
Old 02-25-2008, 12:22 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So what's wrong with CCW classics?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:27 AM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TedDBere
The one set I've seen in person...i didn't care for the looks. Other than that, i'm sure they are just fine.

Hammer
Old 02-25-2008, 03:42 AM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by thehammer69
The one set I've seen in person...i didn't care for the looks. Other than that, i'm sure they are just fine.

Hammer
Corsair C10 or C14, from John @ ccwheel
i love em

Rune
Old 02-25-2008, 07:22 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CELT4
Al, is it that the the stock rules specifically prohibit non-metallic wheels or is it a DOT rating issue?

BTW, are you going to make it down to the National Tour event in Atlanta this year?

Paul:

Actually, the text prohibiting non-metallic wheels in the SCCA solo rulebook is tucked away in the safety inspections section (3.3.3.B.11), which is page 27 (page 43 of the PDF file of the '08 book). "No broken or missing spokes or more than one loose spoke per wheel shall be permitted in wire wheels. No cracks shall be permitted in disc or cast wheels. Other than standard parts as defined by these rules, non-metallic wheel construction is prohibited (FSAE cars are exempt from this requirement since the FSAE rules allow non-metallic wheels)."

No, I don't have the book memorized. I looked it up, simply because I do recall contemplating having a set built for work purposes and then seeing the ban on non-metallic wheels.

At this time, I don't plan on competing too much this year. Certainly won't be at the Atlanta Tour. You running a Z06?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:53 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TedDBere

Great wheels and John backs his wheels 100%.

Aaron
Old 02-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Dave OH32
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
Corsair C10 or C14, from John @ ccwheel
i love em

Rune
How much do they weigh?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:18 PM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Hickcock Wheels are light and good looking. I have a set of the Spints and a set of the Split Five Spokes. Both are high polished and look good. These wheels are labeled as Race Only Wheels. If you would like pictures send me a PM and I will send you some. My Avitar shows the Sprints.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:43 PM
96CELT4
Burning Brakes

Actually, the text prohibiting non-metallic wheels in the SCCA solo rulebook is tucked away in the safety inspections section (3.3.3.B.11),
Of course, the one place I didn't think to look!

At this time, I don't plan on competing too much this year. Certainly won't be at the Atlanta Tour. You running a Z06?
Yep, I'm planning on running my 2001 Z06 instead of co-driving Steve Waters' Z06 like we did in Hunstville last year. Sorry to hear you won't be making it out this year.

Get notified of new replies

To exploring lightweight wheel options for SS autocross

Quick Reply: exploring lightweight wheel options for SS autocross