Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waxy substance inside oil filler cap

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:49 PM
mk2001c
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Waxy substance inside oil filler cap

I have been noticing a white waxy substance building up on the inside of the oil filler cap. I overfill the oil pan by about two thirds of a quart in accordance with the manual when I do track days. I am wondering if the crank is whipping the oil into a froth and the white stuff is separated paraffin - any ideas?
Old 02-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure about this, I know that a brownish foamy coating is a sign of coolant in the oil, not sure about the white stuff though? I'm sure someone else will come up with an answer for you though.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:25 AM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mk2001c
I have been noticing a white waxy substance building up on the inside of the oil filler cap. I overfill the oil pan by about two thirds of a quart in accordance with the manual when I do track days. I am wondering if the crank is whipping the oil into a froth and the white stuff is separated paraffin - any ideas?
It's most likely from condensation during the cooler winter months. It's not from "separated paraffin."

Hammer
Old 02-25-2008, 04:20 PM
willhaveC6
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thehammer69
It's most likely from condensation during the cooler winter months. It's not from "separated paraffin."

Hammer
I agree. My car shows this and until the weather is good enough to allow a nice long hard drive, it will remain there.

Get notified of new replies

To Waxy substance inside oil filler cap

Quick Reply: Waxy substance inside oil filler cap