Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASCAR sponsorship drying up.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 09:10 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default NASCAR sponsorship drying up.

I see what was once called Busch now Nationwide is having trouble getting sponsors for different teams and cars are not running and being left in the garage. Seems they are hitting them with the same size fines for cheating or errors as the Cup cars are gettng and the owners don't have the money at that level and are getting mad.

I think the economy will start to affect many sponsors in racing.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:53 PM
jwbert
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

NASCAR and their heavy handed dictatorship will eventually kill the sport.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by jwbert
NASCAR and their heavy handed dictatorship will eventually kill the sport.
^^My Dad was screaming that 30 years ago. He hated Bill France. History proves him wrong.

The series that have prospered are those run by a heavy handed dictator.

The Frances and Bernie.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they've placed so much emphasis on the car of tomorrow and lost focus on what the busch series was many years ago, a place for those climbing up or going back downt he ladder to race.

Mike
Old 02-24-2008, 07:43 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

TV ratings and attendance are dropping. Car manufacturers have threatened to stop supporting then because nothing looks like their product except a decal.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:21 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
TV ratings and attendance are dropping. Car manufacturers have threatened to stop supporting then because nothing looks like their product except a decal.
Yup

And when manufactures what new technologies the ALMS looks better and better all the time.

"The American Le Mans Series features technical rules that not only allow new technology, but actually encourage auto manufacturers to introduce new innovations into the racing environment as a means of rapid development for production car application. The Series is the only motorsports body in the world that features multiple street-legal alternative fuel sources - clean diesel, E10 gasoline and E85 cellulosic (non-feedstock) ethanol. Through partnerships with diesel fuel supplier Shell, VP Racing Fuels and EPIC (Ethanol Promotion and Information Council), the American Le Mans Series has taken the global leadership role in motorsports for the development of alternative fuel technology and its practical use in production cars."

So Mr France and family, you guys keep doing what your doing. Sports car and Prototype racing will benefit from the NASCAR blunders.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:15 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darrell Waltrip said in an interview that the manufacture of the car now doesn't affect the fans. He thinks it is the driver.

What the &%^$ do they think ever got the fan attached to a driver in the first place?

I think in time NASCAR will begin to suffer. It shore wasn't the color of the car..

They had to put the cup guys in Busch in order to draw more fans.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:28 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The economy will definitely affect some of the lesser funded teams. The last CRAPCAR race I attended was the World 600 in Charlotte in 1968. That style of racing does nothing for me. When they run the Glen, I will watch on TV, but wish they ran the full course rather than an abbreviated one.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:55 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
The economy will definitely affect some of the lesser funded teams. The last CRAPCAR race I attended was the World 600 in Charlotte in 1968. That style of racing does nothing for me. When they run the Glen, I will watch on TV, but wish they ran the full course rather than an abbreviated one.
You mean, including the boot

That would be interesting. I am not sure those tanks could do it though.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:13 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by outnumbered
Darrell Waltrip said in an interview that the manufacture of the car now doesn't affect the fans. He thinks it is the driver.

What the &%^$ do they think ever got the fan attached to a driver in the first place?
well consider this...the guy across the street from me was flying a Dale jr #8 flag in his front yard...he drives a FORD truck....look at the car stopped in front of you ar a red light and see how many (driver) stickers in front of you drive the brand the sticker is on...you will be surprised
Old 02-24-2008, 11:34 AM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Yup

And when manufactures what new technologies the ALMS looks better and better all the time.

"The American Le Mans Series features technical rules that not only allow new technology, but actually encourage auto manufacturers to introduce new innovations into the racing environment as a means of rapid development for production car application. The Series is the only motorsports body in the world that features multiple street-legal alternative fuel sources - clean diesel, E10 gasoline and E85 cellulosic (non-feedstock) ethanol. Through partnerships with diesel fuel supplier Shell, VP Racing Fuels and EPIC (Ethanol Promotion and Information Council), the American Le Mans Series has taken the global leadership role in motorsports for the development of alternative fuel technology and its practical use in production cars."

So Mr France and family, you guys keep doing what your doing. Sports car and Prototype racing will benefit from the NASCAR blunders.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:35 AM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nascar is boring. Too many look alike cars on too many look alike tracks. I usually just watch the cool races, bristol, watkins glen, and riverside or whatever its called now.

Besides i would never buy a monte carlo or fusion, why watch some ugly car i would never buy.

Now ALMS, thats my cup of tea..........vettes, ferraris, and porsche, aston martin, masarati.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:45 AM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06
Nascar is boring. Too many look alike cars on too many look alike tracks. I usually just watch the cool races, bristol, watkins glen, and riverside or whatever its called now.

Besides i would never buy a monte carlo or fusion, why watch some ugly car i would never buy.

Now ALMS, thats my cup of tea..........vettes, ferraris, and porsche, aston martin, masarati.
Its really GT2 that makes AMLS.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:51 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that NASCAR is going to experience the same thing that CART went through in the 90's. No, not the split. What I'm talking about is that you'll have a group of drivers that won't be able to go into NASCAR unless they have money or sponsorship because the sport has gotten really expensive. The little teams don't exist any longer either. Most all of the teams have deep pockets and the little guys had to either fold, sell or merge with another larger team. Because of this, NASCAR won't be able to sustain itself over the long run.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:53 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by redvetracr
well consider this...the guy across the street from me was flying a Dale jr #8 flag in his front yard...he drives a FORD truck....look at the car stopped in front of you ar a red light and see how many (driver) stickers in front of you drive the brand the sticker is on...you will be surprised
You do have a point.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:54 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

have any of you guys see some NASCAR test days? Cars are GRAY with white numbers. Heck without the head light stickers or Grill / radiator stickers you would have no idea what make car it was.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:05 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
have any of you guys see some NASCAR test days? Cars are GRAY with white numbers. Heck without the head light stickers or Grill / radiator stickers you would have no idea what make car it was.
I can't tell until I see the name on the front.

Get notified of new replies

To NASCAR sponsorship drying up.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:07 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by jwbert
NASCAR and their heavy handed dictatorship is killing the sport.
Fixed it for you .

Too many stupid rules that change to fit (or penalize) a team, the "car of tomorrow" is absolutely assinine. There is no brand identity anymore other tnan labels. The whole NASCAR thing has become entertaiment, not racing.

And allowing foreign brands like Toyota? Not even going to go there. Won't be long before KIA or Subaru shows up.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:13 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Fixed it for you .

Too many stupid rules that change to fit (or penalize) a team, the "car of tomorrow" is absolutely assinine. There is no brand identity anymore other tnan labels. The whole NASCAR thing has become entertaiment, not racing.

And allowing foreign brands like Toyota? Not even going to go there. Won't be long before KIA or Subaru shows up.
I wish Ford GM, and Chrysler would walk and leave Toyota running Kia or one of the others.

They said 20 million to run one car per year and that was just an OK team not top of the line. Nothing else on I watch it as I surf here. I usually nod off like last week at Daytona. Lucky tivoed it because I felt honestly 40% commercials.

Last edited by John Shiels; 02-24-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:29 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I wish Ford GM, and Chrysler would walk and leave Toyota running Kia or one of the others.
Unfortunately, its about "whoever wins on Sundays sells more cars on Monday" that dictates on whether Ford, GM and Chrysler stay or leave. It is that reason why Toyota got into the act. I doubt if that theory holds water anymore but definitely has the Domestic Auto Manufacturers by their horns.

Quick Reply: NASCAR sponsorship drying up.