Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some Suspension Advice...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 10:17 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Some Suspension Advice...

I'm in process of turning a 2005 C6 into a dedicated track car and progress is good!

However, I took it out this weekend for a little spirited driving and noticed that at higher speeds (75-80) the car seemed a bit "squirrley."

This car is running stock Z51 suspension, with a wide "booty." Tires are325's rear and 295's front. My other car is virtually identical, but with Z06 sways and F55 suspension. It is "solid as a rock" at speeds well over 140.

I'm not ready to put coil overs on yet, so I need some ideas. Will better shocks stabilize the car? Different alignment?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Todd
Old 02-24-2008, 11:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I doubt its the shocks. Just driving down the road at high speed you don't need a lot of damping and probably could get by with no shocks at all. It sounds more like alignment.

Bill
Old 02-25-2008, 04:04 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what shocks do you have now and how many miles? What alignment spec's now?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:20 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR
I'm in process of turning a 2005 C6 into a dedicated track car and progress is good!

However, I took it out this weekend for a little spirited driving and noticed that at higher speeds (75-80) the car seemed a bit "squirrley."

Todd
Todd my guess is that is the rake of the car is off. That is the exact speed where improper rake will effect the vette and you feel it.

So check your rake and check your alignment.

Good Luck
Old 02-25-2008, 10:56 AM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John Shiels
what shocks do you have now and how many miles? What alignment spec's now?
Stock Z51 shocks with 35,000 mileage, stock alignment.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:00 AM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Todd my guess is that is the rake of the car is off. That is the exact speed where improper rake will effect the vette and you feel it.

Good Luck
I'll have the alignment checked. I think I've read some past threads that have camber recommendations, so I'll use those as a guide.

By rake you mean height of front compared to rear? So if the front is too high it would create some lift on the front end?

Old 02-25-2008, 11:07 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

By rake you mean height of front compared to rear? So if the front is too high it would create some lift on the front end?

Old 02-25-2008, 01:00 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Good Luck
I tried looking up David Farmer's website, but I think you need about 3/8" more rear height, as measured at the tiedown points (roughly at the front and rear door breaks).

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 02-25-2008, 01:32 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I'll have the alignment checked. I think I've read some past threads that have camber recommendations, so I'll use those as a guide.

The rear might be too high.

the front should be no lower then 1" from stock ride height. Any lower and you can get into bump steer problems, shocks bottoming out and so forth.

Yes 3/8" at those points that David recommends. Remember do the front ride height first, with your body wt in the drivers seat, then do the rear, ride height. Next alignment, Corner balance is highly recommended.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:45 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Look at the simple stuff first:

Tire pressures, lug nuts, alignment, broken parts, etc. You could easily have lost a few psi out of a rear tire which would feel 'squirrely' especially with those monster wide tires you're running. You could also have 0 toe in the front or rear, so you're stability is now gone. Don't start dicking around with ride height unless you know what you're doing!

Also, just make a good check to see if anything in the suspension is broken - wheel bearings, control arms, spindles, etc. It's probably something simple.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:10 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Stock Z51 shocks with 35,000 mileage, stock alignment.
check basic thing first but your shocks are toast at 35,000. Check the cradle isn't lose also. My my car was stock and low mileage a tie rod was lose and ruined the front spindle.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Hey John, I am still running my stock Z shocks with 37K on the car. They still seem pretty good.

Bill
Old 02-25-2008, 08:09 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Stop scaring these guys John... There's absolutely nothing wrong with those shocks after 35K...or even 135K as long as they aren't leaking. They are obviously not as good as Penskes or other brand, but they are bulletproof and designed for 100K+ miles without failure.

Street driving certainly won't wear them out and as long as you don't drive Sebring every weekend, they'll last at least as long as the car. When you start racing and are looking to extract that last .5 per lap, then think about changing.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:13 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Stop scaring these guys John... There's absolutely nothing wrong with those shocks after 35K...or even 135K as long as they aren't leaking. They are obviously not as good as Penskes or other brand, but they are bulletproof and designed for 100K+ miles without failure.

Street driving certainly won't wear them out and as long as you don't drive Sebring every weekend, they'll last at least as long as the car. When you start racing and are looking to extract that last .5 per lap, then think about changing.
My exact thoughts!

Joe
Old 02-25-2008, 08:22 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car did a have a problem of "wandering at triple digit speeds". Turns out that the toe setting was screwed up. Did an alignment, at that fixed the problem.............. like the other guys said. Put it on a rack.......
Old 02-25-2008, 08:58 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

General consensus is check alignment and rake before replacing anything.

Will do!

Thanks guys!
Old 03-02-2008, 10:57 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Default Alignment helped!

I installed the Z06 sway bar and had the car aligned. It made a big difference. Thanks for the help!

I had a local racer ride with me and he thought the shocks probably needed replacement. Anyone know who sell Bilstein Sports for a C6?

Get notified of new replies

To Need Some Suspension Advice...

Quick Reply: Need Some Suspension Advice...