Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Mount In-Car Camera??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:44 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Default How to Mount In-Car Camera??

I need suggestions on how to mount a camera in my car. I do not have a roll bar and also do not want one. I only do 2 or 3 HPDE days each season and would just like to record the events of those days.

I would like some kind of a bar if there is such a thing that maybe mounts to the seat belt anchors. Is there such a thing?

Any help would be appreciated. This will be going in a 2008 Corvette.

Thanks
Glenn

PS I looked all around the forum for where to post this and this section seemed like the best spot where I'd hopefully find answers
Old 02-25-2008, 07:01 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

harness bar for hardbarusa.com and camera mount.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:20 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Harness bar and I/O Port camera mount
Old 02-25-2008, 12:42 PM
MRZ5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default i use this

i have a bar and mount but dont use it, I bought a samsung X210L MPEG4 Sports Camcorder http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Sports.../dp/B000E0G000

i mount it to dash w/ sticky tape, also records heads up display

here is a link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPgUt67Mji8
Old 02-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 369 Likes on 305 Posts

All the above, also chasecam.com though some events will not let you use them. I have a very small video camera and it works well with the SM30 stuck to the roof.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:12 PM
earthman01
Instructor

Brey-Krause harness bar and camera mount. Bolts to the seat-belt mounts.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:42 PM
willhaveC6
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MRZ5
i have a bar and mount but dont use it, I bought a samsung X210L MPEG4 Sports Camcorder http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Sports.../dp/B000E0G000

i mount it to dash w/ sticky tape, also records heads up display

here is a link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPgUt67Mji8
I think I like that alot. How far away can the camera body be from the camera lens portion?
Old 02-25-2008, 04:02 PM
MRZ5
Racer

comes with about 6 foot cable

Originally Posted by willhaveC6
I think I like that alot. How far away can the camera body be from the camera lens portion?
Old 02-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Thank you ALL that responded. Looks like I have some nice options here.
I'll go now and research all the leads given above.

I appreciate your help.

Glenn
Old 02-26-2008, 02:41 PM
2HorsePower
Instructor

If you don't want to mount a harness bar and want something that's faster to install and remove, we have used a sticky pod for autocross videos (http://www.stickypod.com). I presume it would be HPDE legal, but maybe someone here can chime in with more info. It mounts upside down to the hatch glass with heavy duty suction cups (and sticks really, really well). You have to use video editing software when you're done to flip the picture back right side up, but it's not hard. Ultimately though, if you plan to do a lot of driving events and don't mind leaving the bar in, I would recommend the harness bar mount and putting in some harnesses, too.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2HorsePower
If you don't want to mount a harness bar and want something that's faster to install and remove, we have used a sticky pod for autocross videos (http://www.stickypod.com). I presume it would be HPDE legal, but maybe someone here can chime in with more info. It mounts upside down to the hatch glass with heavy duty suction cups (and sticks really, really well). You have to use video editing software when you're done to flip the picture back right side up, but it's not hard. Ultimately though, if you plan to do a lot of driving events and don't mind leaving the bar in, I would recommend the harness bar mount and putting in some harnesses, too.
I've been using the stock movie maker in XP to upright the picture, do you know of a better way that maintains excellent picture quality?
Old 02-26-2008, 03:05 PM
2HorsePower
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I've been using the stock movie maker in XP to upright the picture, do you know of a better way that maintains excellent picture quality?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1560393881

Deja vu. It seems we've been here before!

Windows Movie Maker... mirror horizontally then vertically. We've gone to a harness bar setup since then. We only use the sticky pod now when we run the second car.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2HorsePower
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1560393881

Deja vu. It seems we've been here before!

Windows Movie Maker... mirror horizontally then vertically. We've gone to a harness bar setup since then. We only use the sticky pod now when we run the second car.
I see we have!

I've been wanting to move to a harness bar as well. I lost on bidding recently for a used one.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:27 PM
2HorsePower
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I see we have!

I've been wanting to move to a harness bar as well. I lost on bidding recently for a used one.
I really recommend them. I was lucky enough to get a lightly used Arizona Speed/Marine bar for a good price off eBay two years ago, complete with a pair of harnesses. Made a great Christmas present for the hubby (and worked out rather nicely for me, too ) It sure beats sliding around in the seat and fighting to keep yourself in place with the steering wheel. The only downside is it makes it harder to access stuff behind the seats and you have to tuck the harnesses out of the way if your car's a DD too, though it does keep you safer from flying cargo in the event of sudden braking manuevers on the way home from the events!
Old 02-26-2008, 07:08 PM
Todd Z
Racer

Chase cam for the most exciting videos! You can also get the same thing off of e-bay for much less. I mount mine to the front tow hook and it gives you the feeling of speed unlike an in car video.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:14 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by Todd Z
Chase cam for the most exciting videos! You can also get the same thing off of e-bay for much less. I mount mine to the front tow hook and it gives you the feeling of speed unlike an in car video.
I was thinking about that the other day, also sticking it on the rear window or something, facing backwards. I think it'd be interesting watching the cars behind.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:19 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I went through the exact same situation just a couple of months ago. I did buy a Chase Cam window mount unit and it works great on the street, but it isn't allowed at HPDE events. I needed something different, but I wasn't willing to spend over $400 on a harness bar just so I could mount a camera. So I drew up some plans and was about to start the process of building my own when I found a vette shop on eBay that was going out of business. He had a C5 Crossbar with a $100 reserve and luckily for me I was the only one that bid. So for $100, I got a brand new in the box Crossbar with camera mount and it works perfectly. Some day I will add harnesses and race seats, but for now I can take some great videos.

So the moral of the story is that there are some great deals out there and you can probably even find something here on the forum as well for a great price.

http://www.r-dracing.com/c5crossbar.htm

Get notified of new replies

To How to Mount In-Car Camera??

Old 02-27-2008, 06:28 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 668 Likes on 290 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Glenn
I bought one, but haven't used it yet. Go Pro Hero from www.goprocamera.com I mounted the harness directly to the windshield behind the rearview mirror, so I can't see it when not in use and the camera is centered on the Vette. Or you could mount it to the side of your helmet for a different view.

Good Luck with the C6, is it still gonna be BLUE!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:05 PM
jaybar
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I used a slightly different approach. I started with the I/O port mount mentioned above. I bought it to mount to the roll bar of my 427 Cobra.

It worked fine. Then I got a Mustang Cobra and wanted to swap back and forth. So I went to Harbor Freight and bought a suction cup gadget($8.95). It is the thing that you would use to move large sheets of glass or mirrors. it is a handle with two 5-6 inch suction cups at each end. I mounted the I/O port mount on the handle just like I would have done on my roll bar. I mount the suction cup on the inside of the windshield on the passenger side. I mount it up and down, but I may try to mount it horizontal the next time out. Just to be safe I tether the mount to the manual seat adjustment handle, in case it ever brakes loose. But I have used it many times with no problems. I have about 8 hours of track time at Sebring which is very rough especially turn 17.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:27 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by zipity
I bought one, but haven't used it yet. Go Pro Hero from www.goprocamera.com
I'm very interested to hear your review of the GoPro. I get mixed reviews from all the YouTube videos I've seen. Most times the audio is horrible. Please let me know your thoughts of it as soon as you can.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: How to Mount In-Car Camera??