Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggest a Camera Upgrade for HDPEs

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:00 PM
R Mackow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suggest a Camera Upgrade for HDPEs

I currently, use an old Sony hi-8 Camcorder that uses hi-8 tapes and records an entire weekend of HPDE on one tape. This camera is about 6 years old and was on sale when i bought it and it's big a clunky. I like it because I can plug it into a TV and play the tape from the camcorder. (Don't laugh I just learned a year ago which remoted runs the CD player!) It's simple and I get to bore the crap out of the whole family and have the livingroom all to myself!
The problem is that I left it out on the front porch over night last fall...it rained that night. So it hasn't been the same ever since. Anybody have one they want to get rid of? Or can you suggest an upgrade. Are there digital units you can recommend? I looked at the Chase Cam and thought it would be neat to see where I am looking while driving, by velcroing a the Chase cam to the side of my helmet. Anybody try this?
Since I do some white water kayaking i also thought it might be neat to attach it to my helmet when doing white water and executing an eskimo roll(camera or leads must be water proof). Any thoughts?
Old 02-26-2008, 11:21 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Try www.helmetcamera.com for waterproof lipstick cameras. I don't know if the mic is waterproof however.
I use a helmetcamera in the grill of my car. I tape the mic onto the fusebox under the hood. If I could only post a video...
Old 02-27-2008, 12:58 AM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Samsung Sports camcorder...

That's a hot lap at TWS recorded with the camera. Here is a shot when I went to cut the grass...same track, just step'd out the rear end.

Here is a link to one at Best Buy. I bought it on clearence with $100 discount card, so I got a pretty good deal. Now they sell the SC300xl.

I told them at the checkout, since the display didn't work, if I couldn't it work correctly I would bring it back. They waived the normal 'no return' policy since the display broke. Basically, the display's display was not working, but camera has worked great. I took some good video last weekend with our driving crew. It takes about an hour to edit video with the included tools...

I zip tie it to the center speaker, run the cord down the console crack in between the glove comparment, up to the console/arm rest and leave the camera in there. It has a push button operation 1) press once to turn on (blue light) 2) press once to record (red light) 3) press and hold to turn off. I never look at the camera and start recording coming out of the paddock onto the track. I've even started after I'm on track, easy greasy.

JK
Old 02-27-2008, 06:49 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I use the Panasonic 3CCD that uses a tape. It plugs right into the TV if you want to view your runs. We watched them last year at VIR in the hotel room.

Harddrive and CDs do not work so stay away from them.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:06 AM
autoxn
Advanced

Originally Posted by R Mackow
I currently, use an old Sony hi-8 Camcorder that uses hi-8 tapes and records an entire weekend of HPDE on one tape. This camera is about 6 years old and was on sale when i bought it and it's big a clunky. I like it because I can plug it into a TV and play the tape from the camcorder. (Don't laugh I just learned a year ago which remoted runs the CD player!) It's simple and I get to bore the crap out of the whole family and have the livingroom all to myself!
The problem is that I left it out on the front porch over night last fall...it rained that night. So it hasn't been the same ever since. Anybody have one they want to get rid of? Or can you suggest an upgrade. Are there digital units you can recommend? I looked at the Chase Cam and thought it would be neat to see where I am looking while driving, by velcroing a the Chase cam to the side of my helmet. Anybody try this?
Since I do some white water kayaking i also thought it might be neat to attach it to my helmet when doing white water and executing an eskimo roll(camera or leads must be water proof). Any thoughts?

Do yourself a favor, go with the Chase Cam. You won't be disappointed. There are many mount options available as well. At VIR this past weekend, I had mine clamped over my right shoulder, on my seat.
Mike "Junior" Johnson
Old 02-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Dave OH32
Instructor

Originally Posted by autoxn
Do yourself a favor, go with the Chase Cam. You won't be disappointed. There are many mount options available as well. At VIR this past weekend, I had mine clamped over my right shoulder, on my seat.
Mike "Junior" Johnson
What Junior said - www.chasecam.com
Old 02-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

For those looking for a helmet mounted camcorder system that provides a live feed while on the track - convertibles only - there is this option that I believe is available at some performance shops.

Ok, seriously. I agree - you want to avoid the camcorders that use a CD or memory card for best performance. I use and recommend the Panasonic PV-GS250 MiniDV tape system.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:02 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

You need / / / mini DV tape, Electronic Image stabilization (not optical), external microphone port, and a good mount. OR, step up and spend the money for the Chase cam. Panasonic GS 250, GS 180, Canon Alura models, etc.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:37 AM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Last C5
You need / / / mini DV tape, Electronic Image stabilization (not optical), external microphone port, and a good mount. OR, step up and spend the money for the Chase cam. Panasonic GS 250, GS 180, Canon Alura models, etc.
That's what I liked about the samsung sports camcorder

it records to a chip, it has ESI and it blocks out the sun. The issue I had with chasecam was the total cost and setup. You need the cam and the PDR and then wire and power, seemed a bit much for me.

Mine runs on batter
zip ties to the dash
weigh's less than 3oz
has external microphone

I posted an off track excursion and it was smooth shooting the whole way...
Old 02-28-2008, 05:42 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just received this in the mail

http://www.racepak.com/IQ3Dash.php

And have EFI Live Commercial Version

I think I will round it all out with a Chase Cam and probably Track Vision.

I may also drop a few pounds since no gas money left to go to the store and buy food!!!!!

Rick
Old 02-29-2008, 10:14 AM
NASAblue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use an aiptek hd camera. it's 720p but it's a great picture and only $125 at circuit metroplis. the base is mountable to a tripod or harness, really easy and intuitive to use. it's an 8mp camera too and small enough to take w/ you where ever so I din't have to buy a camera too.

It recordes directly to sd cards in different formats so it's easy to upload to the net.

Did I mention it's $125 and the 3x optical is $200?
Old 02-29-2008, 03:07 PM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NASAblue
I use an aiptek hd camera. it's 720p but it's a great picture and only $125 at circuit metroplis. the base is mountable to a tripod or harness, really easy and intuitive to use. it's an 8mp camera too and small enough to take w/ you where ever so I din't have to buy a camera too.

It recordes directly to sd cards in different formats so it's easy to upload to the net.

Did I mention it's $125 and the 3x optical is $200?
Hah, that's the same thing as the samsung camcorder. Samung has the 720p as well, it's P== progressive scanning instead of I == interlaced. Great price...

I have a remote mount camera with about 5 feet of tether for it...nice camera and I agree it shoots. Just wish it took the 4gig high density.

JK
Old 02-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by jkonkle
Hah, that's the same thing as the samsung camcorder. Samung has the 720p as well, it's P== progressive scanning instead of I == interlaced. Great price...

I have a remote mount camera with about 5 feet of tether for it...nice camera and I agree it shoots. Just wish it took the 4gig high density.

JK

I wish someone could make a little box, that could take two or three cameras and make one video file with PiP overlay.
With a display so i could view my runs onsite, before i upload to PC and mix it with track analyzing info from my race technology AX22

Rune
Old 02-29-2008, 07:32 PM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
I wish someone could make a little box, that could take two or three cameras and make one video file with PiP overlay.
With a display so i could view my runs onsite, before i upload to PC and mix it with track analyzing info from my race technology AX22

Rune
For ~$3000 you should be able to do that with the chasecam setup

ChaseCam PDR100 Racer Kit, Dual Camera - Priced at 1500.00, but I think you may need to get a quad-processor system, if they made it. You want two vid's + data logging. Traqmate has something they did with chasecam.

So no need to wish, it's already happening.

I hope you win at whatever it is you are doing!!!

JK
Old 03-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by jkonkle
For ~$3000 you should be able to do that with the chasecam setup

ChaseCam PDR100 Racer Kit, Dual Camera - Priced at 1500.00, but I think you may need to get a quad-processor system, if they made it. You want two vid's + data logging. Traqmate has something they did with chasecam.

So no need to wish, it's already happening.

I hope you win at whatever it is you are doing!!!

JK
Thanks, but it is not ONE box, it is two box, two power supply, etc.

I mean when we can have PDA`s with 10 times the cpu, 16 Gb ram and at a cost of just 500 usd, why o why cant someone make us a simple little device that can attach two or three camera and overlay them in PiP.
A nice TFT screen 3 inch so we can see what we recorded
Possible a sync issue with track scanner so its easy to later play with theese in Trackvision

Still dreaming......

Rune

Get notified of new replies

To Suggest a Camera Upgrade for HDPEs

Quick Reply: Suggest a Camera Upgrade for HDPEs