Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette T1 Track Cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:42 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Corvette T1 Track Cars

What makes a regular C5 into a T1 Track Car?

Are these ZO-6 C5s?

What modifications are allowed by T1 rules?

and lastly, why are so many for sale??? Is this class going away???
Old 02-28-2008, 07:44 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

SCCA Show room stock Touring I or T1.

basic overview:

The cars are essentially stock C5Z, C5, or C6(nonz06) or any corvette with in the last 10 years, for corvettes. There are other cars that are allowed per rules as well

There can be NO engine modifications, except tuning, not even to the air intake.

The headers need to stock, but cats can be removed and straight pipes with out mufflers.

a larger radiator may be added as will as transmission cooler, oil cooler and accu-sump.

The suppressions can be modified. at first it was just the GMPP T1 suspension kit, but now Penske and Mouton ( sp?) shocks may be used.

Wheels are limited as well 17" on the C5s, or stock sizes on the C6

On the SCCA web site, if you can muddle though there are the technical regs for the Touring cars.

Why are so many for sale?

Well the new C6 with the LS3 motor will have much more HP then the C5 LS6 in stock form.

T1 is VERY VERY competive and each competitor pushes for each little extra bit of performance.

That is my take on it.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:10 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The down side to the new 08 LS3 is that our minimum weight is 3530 with the same basic braking system as the lighter cars!!!

The min weight for a C5 and early C6 is just 3280. 3280/405HP = 8.09 weight/HP.

For my new car, 3530/435 = 8.11

So in theory it's fairly close. I sold my 2001 C5 because it had 8 years of hard racing and I finally paid it off...so it was time to get another one. I love the C5s though...and highly recommend them for anyone looking to get into T1.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:37 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

The C5 T1 cars are mostly just getting older, so you see more of them on the market. Nothing can't be repaired or improved, so buying a good used T1 car is certainly not a bad investment, it might just not be the car to have in T1 in the future.

as Chris says, the c6 doesn't really have any advantage over the C5, but SCCA likes to keep the Showroom Stock/Touring classes up to date, so older cars do phase out. I guess the only real advantage of the newer cars is more end torque.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:56 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cars are also lightened to the minimum possible weight and a roll cage installed. I think C5 wheels can be either stock or 17" all round, with 17x11 in back legal and 17x10 in the front. Most serious T1 cars seem to have those sizes custom made.

The class is appealing because of the limited engine mods. It loses appeal because shocks became unrestricted. That adds $4-10K of price to the car for the good ones, as opposed to $300 for a set of useful Sachs or Z06 shocks.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:04 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

The stock T1 SACHS shocks are still very, very good and unless you really know what you're doing with those ultra expensive adjustables, it won't help you. I definitely recommend anybody coming into T1 start off with the non adjustable SACHS and learn the car. You'll have plenty to keep you busy without having to worry about canister pressures, bump and rebound settings.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:07 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Originally Posted by wtknght1
The stock T1 SACHS shocks are still very, very good and unless you really know what you're doing with those ultra expensive adjustables, it won't help you. I definitely recommend anybody coming into T1 start off with the non adjustable SACHS and learn the car. You'll have plenty to keep you busy without having to worry about canister pressures, bump and rebound settings.
Yep, but my point was about barriers to entry. If I'm looking at T1 as a newbie, I see what the top guys are running and where I'll have to go to be in that group (assuming some ability and luck). The shocks are that barrier, or at least made it a bit higher. The sachs were what Heinricy won on for many years, so they're good... But a full adjustable setup is better if you know what you're doing. Shoot, the shocks are the least of the money; the skill in the setup that is harder to buy is the more expensive thing.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:12 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

You certainly don't need adjustable shocks to run or beat the guys with adjustable shocks. Case in point - last year: My main rival in the Southeast was Phil Croyle. He started the season with Motons. I still had my SACHS. I won the first 3 races of the year - Sebring, Homestead and CMP...against not only him, but other guys who were running adjustable shocks.

You don't have to have them to run fast. In fact, when I did switch to adjustables, I went slower...cause they weren't tuned it and I really didn't know what I was doing.

And you could make anything in T1 a barrier if you wanted. You could easily say that the top guys have B&B engines, transmissions, diffs, special engine tunes, blah, blah, blah...all of which could easily cost you as much as the car. You could also say that the top guys replace the whole driveline before the runoffs (which some do)...etc, etc, etc.

But again, I ran for 7+ years with just a plain ol' 2001 Corvette with a good setup and SACHS shocks and was in the top 5 or 10 at the runoffs every time...beating guys who spent a lot more than I. It ain't easy, but it can be done.

So, come on into T1...where some of the best racers in the country hang out... the water is fine!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 01:15 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Are these shock set-ups coilovers or just shocks for that much money???
Old 02-29-2008, 06:08 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

That's just the shocks bud. 3-way adj shocks are in the neighborhood of $5-8K. You can't run coilovers on a vette in T1...not stock.

Again though, you don't have to run adjustable shocks to run near the front.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:07 AM
jfaphoenix32
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

Sachs T1 shocks are a very good starting point and probably get you 95 to 97 % of the way there.

The Penskes can be made into a full coil over for track day cars... Just not allowed for T-1...

The club made a big mistake allowing remote reservoir shocks into the class... Now they do not know how to fix it. All of the Touring classes are involved.

The engine rules are good. Crate motors with minor work are pretty inexpensive and work well.

Last edited by jfaphoenix32; 03-03-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:07 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Do the T1's have fuel cells and on-board fire supression systems?
Old 03-04-2008, 11:09 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

No fuel cells, but fire suppression systems are certainly legal.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:11 AM
jfaphoenix32
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

you can install fuel cells as per the rules, but no one seems o have done it yet. The 2001 SGS car has a fuel cell.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:11 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

So I understand that those that have run these cars feel relatively "safe" without the fule cell & fire supression systems???
Old 03-04-2008, 10:57 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRocket
So I understand that those that have run these cars feel relatively "safe" without the fule cell & fire supression systems???
Yes, the cars are safe. I discussed with someone the concept of putting a fuel cell in a C5 once. This person's guidance was not to do so, rationale being that GM knows a bit more about safety than an aftermarket fuel cell manufacturer. I think his point is valid.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:31 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Just to clarify Blackrocket. Most T1 cars do not have fuel cells. They all have on board fire supression systems. All cars racing in SCCA are required to have a fire system.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette T1 Track Cars

Old 03-05-2008, 12:47 AM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
Most T1 cars do not have fuel cells. They all have on board fire supression systems. All cars racing in SCCA are required to have a fire system.
Not exactly. From the GCR:
9.3.22. FIRE SYSTEM
All cars shall be equipped with an On-Board Fire System except Showroom Stock, Touring, Spec Miata, and Improved Touring.
...and...
9.3.22.B. Hand-Held Fire Extinguisher Requirements
The following are acceptable for Showroom Stock, Touring and Improved Touring cars:
1. Halon 1301 or 1211, two (2) pound minimum capacity by weight.
2. Dry chemical, two (2) pound minimum with a positive indicator showing charge. Chemical: 10 BC Underwriters Laboratory
rating, potassium bicarbonate (Purple K) recommended, 1A10BC Underwriters Laboratory rating multipurpose, ammonium phosphate and barium sulfate or Monnex.
3. The fire extinguisher shall be securely mounted in the cockpit. All mounting brackets shall be metal and of the quick-release type.
But you are allowed to put systems in the cars which require only a handheld. My T1 has one.

Last edited by Bimota Guy; 03-05-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:59 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I feel incredibly safe in my T1 car. It's fully caged, 3K+ lbs and goes thru tons of safety crash tests to met DOT regulations.

I drove my C5 Z06 for 8 years and loved it. I had one wreck...hit the wall at Daytona coming out of the chicane. It was a good jolt, but I walked away with no issues...except for the $15K it took to put it back together.

My new C6 T1 car that Phoenix put together is just unreal regarding safety - NASCAR style door beams and the work is just superb.

I guarantee you will not be disappointed in any T1 car.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:51 AM
02impactblue
Pro

Originally Posted by wtknght1
I feel incredibly safe in my T1 car. It's fully caged, 3K+ lbs and goes thru tons of safety crash tests to met DOT regulations.

I drove my C5 Z06 for 8 years and loved it. I had one wreck...hit the wall at Daytona coming out of the chicane. It was a good jolt, but I walked away with no issues...except for the $15K it took to put it back together.

My new C6 T1 car that Phoenix put together is just unreal regarding safety - NASCAR style door beams and the work is just superb.

I guarantee you will not be disappointed in any T1 car.
Chris,

Without the added weight to your c6 do you feel it will get around the track faster than your c5. I'm trying to decided where to go with my next track car. C5z06 or c6 ls3 z51 both modded with t1 suspensions.

Quick Reply: Corvette T1 Track Cars