Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

open wheel merge

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:52 PM
steve J06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default open wheel merge

So the news is that champ car and IRL have finally come to some sort of merger agreement. Old news by now: http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=10582

so can people help me out in understanding a few things:

what was so wrong with champ car that no one was interested? yeah, it was basically a spec series with *gasp* ford engines. but subtract bourdais and it seemed like there was some good action for 2nd through 6th or so. AND on a road/street circuits. which i like. with Bourdais to F1 it at least seemed like CCWS was moving to become the north american feeder series for F1.

IRL? more spec cars with *bigger gasp* import engines but only going in circles. boring. nascar=boring but at least with some bumper cars mixed in and i still can't bring myself to watch other than on road courses. maybe 3 road/street circuits per year for IRL. So Danica is easy on the eyes but that doesn't really show when the race is on.

so now with Champ Car bankrupt and the merger, it appears that IRL is the "winner". but we lose because now there will be less road racing on the tv. Do americans have no idea what 'real' racing is? I watch ALMS when i can but speed here is premium channel. Do i just need to splurge and pop for it so i can see all of ALMS and F1? or will there be some other road racing coming to regular tv?
Old 02-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Todd Z
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The merger was a "olive branch" as Kevin K put it. Champ Car would have been done in a few years anyways. There best TV audiance was Mexico and that was only one million people. Nothing in TV world. This year is pretty much a write off for us the fans. There is no race at Road America this year because Kentucky is on there schedule for the same date. Come on Kentucky vs, Road America! Next year or 2010 I think it will be 50/50 Ovals and right turns as well, with as many as 22 races. In the end, it is the best possible thing that could have been done.

Quick Reply: open wheel merge