Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbotech XP8: Do I need DRM brake coolers w/these?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:57 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Carbotech XP8: Do I need DRM brake coolers w/these?

Hi Everyone,

I did a search--no info. on this particular question. I'm thinking of stepping up brake pads sometime this year, when my HP+ are gone in the front. The Carbotech XP8 would be my choice and I would keep the stock C5Z in the rear.

Question is--will I get so much extra heat from these XP8's that I need to add cooling DRM ducts (I have the factory C5Z ones only now)? How rotor friendly are these XP8s?

I've run 2 days on the Hawks & 2 on stock C5Z and no sign of rotor cracks. On the other hand, I am upgrading to Motul 600 as the ATE has developed some softness after a HPDE--I do a full sys. change too, 1 liter.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran 3 years in my c5 z06 without the DRM cooler extensions and was fine. I had no issues - you should be fine.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:27 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
I ran 3 years in my c5 z06 without the DRM cooler extensions and was fine. I had no issues - you should be fine.
A lot of XP8's in that time frame? Did you step up to Xp10 or Xp12 and still get not add any brake cooling??

Thanks
Old 03-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
A lot of XP8's in that time frame? Did you step up to Xp10 or Xp12 and still get not add any brake cooling??

Thanks
Forgot that part! I ran stock pads for 8 months or so, then ran wilwood H pads the rest of the time.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:43 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have run XP8/10/12 without ducts and no issues with any of them...
Old 03-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
I'm using XP 10's up front and 8's in the rear and have no extra ductwork. Works just fine. Also use Ford hi Temp fluid with no loss of feel or boiling.

the heat generated will be a function of how hard you use the brakes as well as the distance between applications to give the brakes time to cool. And... always remember at the end of the session and you park you car. move the car enough so that the rotors do not absorb the heat from the calipers (and crack)
Old 03-02-2008, 06:15 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by varkwso
About how many single day HPDE events would you get out of a set of rotors using the XP8? How about the XP8 pads themselves--I realize it varies--I am pretty light on the brakes--what is your experience.

Thanks for the Feed back, it's really helpful.

a
Old 03-02-2008, 06:48 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
About how many single day HPDE events would you get out of a set of rotors using the XP8? How about the XP8 pads themselves--I realize it varies--I am pretty light on the brakes--what is your experience.

Thanks for the Feed back, it's really helpful.

a

Your rotors will likely out last your pads - but I take them off when I put on new pads and then use the 'heat checked rotors" as spares for when you eventually crack one.

I ran one set of XP8s all year on my ZO6 - mostly with street tires - and did about 30-45 track days on them. When I drive "angry" they tend to wear a little faster...
Old 03-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

For the guys that have run XP8's and XP10's. How much difference is there between the two? Also how many events are you getting out of the 10's? Thanks.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:51 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
For the guys that have run XP8's and XP10's. How much difference is there between the two? Also how many events are you getting out of the 10's? Thanks.
about $20 bucks....

XP10s seem to wear quicker and stop a little better...I am up to 13 sessions (12 at CMP) on the XP10s on the front of the FRC at the moment and I hope they last through the Roebling event next weekend (another 8 sessions or so)

All around I think I prefer the XP8s
Old 03-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

humm.. Interesting....

I have run the XP12's before and loved them except for the wear. I went through a set in 6 30min sessions at CMP. Now this was on my old car (03 Cobra) so there is a big weight difference. I just can't afford to go through pads that quick again. They must last more than one weekend!!

I will be running with NASA at Road Atlanta and Barber this fall so I'm trying to decide what pads to pick up. I'm currently running the AX6 compound for DD/Autox so I would like to stick with the Carbo's if possible.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:40 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
....I will be running with NASA at Road Atlanta and Barber this fall so I'm trying to decide what pads to pick up. I'm currently running the AX6 compound for DD/Autox so I would like to stick with the Carbo's if possible.
The NASA-SE Oct event at Barber got bumped by a motorcycle group I think. They will be running it in Jun though

Get notified of new replies

To Carbotech XP8: Do I need DRM brake coolers w/these?

Quick Reply: Carbotech XP8: Do I need DRM brake coolers w/these?