Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5Z or C6 coupe for daily driver/track car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:22 AM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5Z or C6 coupe for daily driver/track car?

As I prepare my car for sale, I started shopping for an 03 or 04 Z06 to replace my 03 vert. My primary goal is still a daily driver, with track use one or two weekends a month.

The only reason I am changing cars is safety. The 03 has been a GREAT car. Brakes are very easy to service, and it handles extremely well. I don't have a roll bar in the roadster and do not see any reasonable options for one.

I like the idea of readily available parts by many vendors for the C5Z.
Cost of upkeep is a concern. I don't have unlimited funds for this hobby, so I need to keep that in mind when it comes to brakes, suspension, etc etc etc. (It just never seems to end)

I thought my mind was made up, but I am now wondering if I should consider a C6 coupe. Are there any compelling reasons to consider a C6?
Old 03-02-2008, 09:48 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by johninar

I thought my mind was made up, but I am now wondering if I should consider a C6 coupe. Are there any compelling reasons to consider a C6?
MO only here

If you were going for a cruzer, daily driver, back roads fun car and OCCASIONALLY, one to four times year to the track, then go with the C6.

But if you want pure and simple GRUNT, take to the track once a month, drive it hard, then drive it home again, easy to work on easy to change wheels and everything else is secondary, get the C5Z.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 03-02-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:15 AM
asp04
Advanced

Default C5 or C6....so many choices

For the money, it seems the C5Z offers better performance. For what you can find a low mileage C5 on the market, you can't find a 2008 c6 yet. The 2008 is probably the first non-zo6 C6 that can run with the C5 zo6. I have heard of some killer deals on winter sales of new cars, but that window of opportunity is just about closed.
As for looks and techno-stuff, the C6 is way cool.I really like the new style. I have an 04 ZO6, and love it, but am still reeling from the depreciation of the C5. I doubt I will jump into that situation again with a C6. If money was no concern, I would like the newest model.
R. Ford
If you are a big guy the c6 is a tighter fit than C5. I have driven both,
Old 03-02-2008, 11:53 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Default Some Good Reading Hear

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1954461
Old 03-02-2008, 12:39 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Test drive a C6.

I test drove one (2008 Z51 w/ exhaust) and it's more luxurious but that's about it. I like the exterior styling better than the C5 too if that's a consideration.

I'm not a luxury kind of guy--I don't want to pay for that. The C5Z is actually still way too luxurious for my taste. I'd like the Lotus Elise or Viper kind of feel.

The C5Z is fine as a daily driver and I have used it at times for that when my usual DD is in the shop or needs a part. No issues in stop&go.

I would go C5Z all the way.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:17 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my '06 C6. The biggest issue is getting track wheels with the proper offset/backspacing. If you're willing to spend some cash on CCWs, though, life is great.

I drove a couple of C5Zs before buying the C6 and I'm happy I went with the C6. The shifter alone was worth it to me. (Yes, I know you could upgrade the C5...)
Old 03-02-2008, 02:05 PM
johninar
Drifting

Thanks for the replies. I've driven the C6 at Spring Mountain, so I've had a bit of track experience with it. I also got one of the C6 Z06s out for a lapping session on day two. If I had the money, there is no doubt I'd have one of these.

I think I'll stay on my quest for a C5Z garage queen.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:18 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by johninar
Thanks for the replies. I've driven the C6 at Spring Mountain, so I've had a bit of track experience with it. I also got one of the C6 Z06s out for a lapping session on day two. If I had the money, there is no doubt I'd have one of these.

I think I'll stay on my quest for a C5Z garage queen.
Look for a 2002--I forgot to mention--my instructor who has a C6 literally heeps on the praise with respect to <head room> every time he gets in my car. He can't believe how much better it is than the C6. We are both pretty tall, 6' 1- 6' 2". I believe GM reduced the headroom in 2003 but definitely in 2004.

a
Old 03-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

I had a c5z and then a z51 coupe c6...hands down the c5z for track use. The c6 is a great street car.....the c6z is the ultimate of everything.

One thing most people do not mention, if you are tall, I had issues with head room with my old corbeau seats in the c6. The easy solution is to get a good seat (read kirkey or similar) with the hardbar seat rails.

If I didnt have a goal of wheel to wheel, I would get a c6z and beat on it in stock form as many weekends as I could. Then drive it to work on monday
Old 03-02-2008, 08:32 PM
johninar
Drifting

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Look for a 2002--I forgot to mention--my instructor who has a C6 literally heeps on the praise with respect to <head room> every time he gets in my car. He can't believe how much better it is than the C6. We are both pretty tall, 6' 1- 6' 2". I believe GM reduced the headroom in 2003 but definitely in 2004.

a
I am 6' 1" so headroom has always been a problem. My helmet hits the roof of my vert. I did not realize the 04 was any different than an 02. Does anyone know where these changes in measurements might be documented?
Old 03-02-2008, 08:51 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

John,

I thought you were going with a dedicated track (i.e., race) car. Sounds like you changed your mind.

Rick
Old 03-02-2008, 09:00 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

John,

For what it's worth, I'm only 6' and I can't run with my top on. Not sure how you'd fit in a Z06 with a helmet. Only way I could drive mine with a helmet would be laying down gangsta' style. I've tried every seat position possible with the top on and a helmet. I couldn't get a comfortable position. Only fit "laying" down. Something to consider.

Another option is to install Z06 components on a coupe like I have. I have Z06 shocks, springs and sways. Also with my intake and headers I'm not far from a C5 Z06 on power. This way you can remove the top for headroom. Also a lot more coupes to choose from for quite a bit less money.

Rick
Old 03-03-2008, 12:38 AM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They changed the headliner in 03.
You can easily swap it out for and 02 model if you wish.

Remember the C5Z06 does not have a telescoping steering wheel which sucks for a tall guy but I manage fine at 6'3.

As far as C5 Z06 vs C6... of course the C5Z06 is my favorite.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:18 PM
johninar
Drifting

Thanks for the replies. I've been a tad busy. I just got back from a quick trip to Philly. I picked up a MY 2003 Z06 with 1600 miles! It was exactly as advertised, a 5 year old brand new car! Not a scratch on her. So, to answer you question Rick, it's going to be a dual use car for a couple of years, then I'll gradually turn it into a dedicated track car. I've still got one in college, one starting in the fall, and the last one in two years. Guys, I'm about tapped out.

My car http://www.allvette.net/viewauto.php?idListing=261
Old 03-24-2008, 07:35 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 03-24-2008, 08:52 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

does look like new! now your going to track it
Old 03-24-2008, 09:31 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yo, Conecrusher. Now you have a car that can miss cones so I may have to come up with a new name for you!

Congrats on the TAXI purchase, Cabby!

Get notified of new replies

To C5Z or C6 coupe for daily driver/track car?

Old 03-24-2008, 09:54 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When making your decision, also keep in mind warranty and age. You can probably find a smokin deal on a C5Z. I imagine the bottom has dropped out on these cars big time and you should easily be able to find a 2003Z in the very low 20's.

But if you were patient, you could probably get an 08/9 Z51 with 6.2 for maybe mid high 30's after discounts. Car market is hurting and dealers will want to get rid of cars on the lot. The benefit here is a NEW car with a full warranty. With all this said a C5Z is just a cam away from close to 500hp.

C6Z is great, but cost to run is ridiculous and electronic nannies and oddities make it not as good as one would think.

I say find a 2002 in the high teens, your not going to lose much if any money in 5 years. This MAY be my next step (coming from a C6Z).
Old 03-24-2008, 01:40 PM
johninar
Drifting

Originally Posted by John Shiels
does look like new! now your going to track it
Shhhhhhhh don't tell the previous owner. When they picked up this car, it had each seat covered, only one key fob had been removed from the plastic bags. License plate frame was still in the bag. Each wheel was covered. Never saw rain, rarely saw sunlight. It sure is nice that some folks buy a new car, pamper it for 5 years, and save it for others like me.

So I have it two days. 1200 miles, rain and snow!!! Only thing they did was replace the battery. Glad they did, saved me the trouble.

I'm sure it would be nice in a museum, but I think it really should be on a track somewhere. I do miss the telescopic steering column though.
Also, I had forgotten how much louder the stock Z exhaust was from my Vert.

I love this car. It is hard to hide on the road though. MY is sort of an "in your face" color.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:09 PM
DarthStimpy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I love my '06 C6. The biggest issue is getting track wheels with the proper offset/backspacing. If you're willing to spend some cash on CCWs, though, life is great.

I drove a couple of C5Zs before buying the C6 and I'm happy I went with the C6. The shifter alone was worth it to me. (Yes, I know you could upgrade the C5...)
C5Z wheels bolt right up without an issue. the rears stick out about 1/2 inch.

Quick Reply: C5Z or C6 coupe for daily driver/track car?