Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bump steer

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

Default Bump steer

I just got a flaming Pm from the general section when I asked if anyone had bump steered their Vette after lowering it on the bolts. Has any one here done a bump steer test after lowering the car? If so, did it become critical as to excessive toe change in bump?
Just asking, as some lower their car without even an alignment, or corner weight after they lower it.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:37 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

I would assume that after lowering it, then realigning it , bump steer wont be as critical an issue for a street car. Racing a Vette obviously requires some OCD with perfection . If we persued every possible problem etc we would kill ourselves.
DRM, Guldstrans, VB&P etc etc have raced C4's, for example, for many years, and I bet they would have some very good aftermarket stuff available and advice. Getting flamed for asking your question isa bit excessive. IMHO
Old 03-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The following current C4 Tech thread has some discussion underway
on Bump Steer

Question on Lowering the rear

Old 03-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Some data here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_Steer

I don't have extra to buy the mentioned plate so I was planning to do some tests once it warms up. Perhaps something simple like a level and plumb bob or an angle gauge, could be used to check.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Steve40th, thank you for the kind words, I agree with your comment about taking it to far on the street, but I still wonder how far the bump steer is effected when lowering on the bolts. Might be a problem, might not, but its seems like nobody has really checked this out. And many have bad tire wear patterns. (dangerious inside cords showing like its some badge of honor,,,, neg camber and maybe toe change on bump) My 08 should be here very soon, Guess I will do a bump steer to find out what MIGHT be going on.
Slalom4me,, I'll check into the C4 forum Thank you , sir. Just trying to learn more and maybe share the info.
thanks guys,,, I'll forget about that flame job I got on the tech forum for just asking the question.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

AArdwolf, I got a different problem right now , I have the Ground surface plate, and the dial indicators, but right now,,,, no Vette to check it out on,,, but its coming very soon.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

AArdwolf, that is exactly what we need to find out on the newer cars. went to your C4 link and read the discussion.Agreed with all posted. typically you raise or lower the tierod ends to correct or move the bump curve to correct the toe change to the least change possible on bump. Thank you, sir, again! And just a comment,,,, If you ever experienced toe out on the rear at speed,,,,, I'll bet you it was a OH S##T moment.

Get notified of new replies

To Bump steer

Quick Reply: Bump steer