Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now I've done it...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:27 AM
ericstanley
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Now I've done it...

Okay, so now that I've finally gotten off my **** and signed up for an A/X school I need a brain bucket and what else? I know, they have loaners, but I want my own... one less excuse the next time another one comes up!

Let's start with the helmet... I've never owned a helmet for anything, much less driving so I'm not sure what I should be looking for but I have some ideas. So, I'm looking for input from those that have been through this already. I think I'm looking for pros / cons on Full face vs. Open face and shield or no shield. If there are other considerations to weigh let me know. Also, I think SA2005 is the rating I should be looking for, right?

Once I've decided on a style, I need to decide on a make/model and vendor. Any thoughts on this would be great.

What else? Shoes? Nahh... Gloves? Maybe... as long as I don't have to get a gold necklace and lots of chest hair poking out of my shirt to go with them. Anyone have a strong feeling one way or the other about this? What about sunglasses? I don't generally wear them, but it seems like every picture I've seen of guys at A/X events pretty much everyone has them. Any reason for them?

What else am I missing?

Thanks!

Oh yea, I signed up online for the SCCA membership, too... woo hoo!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:45 AM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For Autocross, a cheap Snell approved open faced helmet is all you need. In all honesty, if it was allowed, you could pretty much safely autocross without a helmet 99.9999999% of the time. So I don't recommend spending a lot of money. My inexpensive G-Force open faced works great.

As far as gloves...IMHO...not needed.

Shoes....IMHO....the best thing you can do. It makes pedal feel and pedal control so much better. They suck to walk around in though. I only wear them during my run set. I change to regular shoes when not driving.

Hammer
Old 03-04-2008, 10:51 AM
ericstanley
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thehammer69
For Autocross, a cheap Snell approved open faced helmet is all you need. In all honesty, if it was allowed, you could pretty much safely autocross without a helmet 99.9999999% of the time. So I don't recommend spending a lot of money. My inexpensive G-Force open faced works great.

As far as gloves...IMHO...not needed.

Shoes....IMHO....the best thing you can do. It makes pedal feel and pedal control so much better. They suck to walk around in though. I only wear them during my run set. I change to regular shoes when not driving.

Hammer
Thanks! I'll definitely need a helmet per their requirements. The shoes are interesting, though. I think I'll try a few times with running shoes and see how it goes.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:18 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

1. Welcome to the insanity!
2. Get an SA2005 helmet. Go somewhere and try one on, different brands of the same size fit heads differently.
3. Read the sticky at the top of this forum for newbies; there's a virtual book of good info in there.
4. As far as shoes/gloves/etc. goes, check out the requirements for the groups you want to run. For autox probably the *only* requirement will be a helmet. Once you get into Drivers Education events (Porsche club also requires it for their Time Trials) you'll need full length cotton clothing, but probably not a fire suit. I frankly have run autocross for seven years in ordinary tennis shoes. You might find you like dedicated driver's shoes, but I'd suggest running a few events to see if you need them.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Now I've done it...

Quick Reply: Now I've done it...