Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I'm back.. and I need more help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:08 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default So I'm back.. and I need more help.

Ive got a few issues, and I'd like some input from some of you more experienced guys. I'll try and keep this as organized as possible.

#1. When i slid off track I guess the rear cradle hit the curbing, and it made a sort of tear in it (picture below). Can i just hammer it into submission and have someone weld it? If thats acceptable, is the cradle aluminum?

#2. I initially thought that my radiator was leaking from the drain spout, but it seems the leak is from somewhere in the maze of fins. I dont really see how the crash caused that, as the only visible damage to the radiator is the little phallic extension on the bottom. My question here is: are radiators fixable? or do I have to go and buy a new one? If so, does anyone have a used one laying around?

The cosmetic stuff is coming along nicely. Here are some pics of the progress.

and the easily fixable casualties:

1x axleback

1x tow hook... yes that used to be completely flat....

and several body panels, some of which will be turned into "art," very expensive art....

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:37 PM
MAC95 6SPD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most radiators are repairable. but to do so the shop just welds close that tube in the radiator. This will decrease the radiator capibility by a small fraction. So a good shop can pressure test it and tell you if it can be fixed.
As far as the rear crossmember it appears to be cast so pounding on ot will break the piece off as it goes back into place. Also I am not sure if welding cast aluminum will work well. If you decide to go this route find a very good welder to see if they would even attempt it. If they feel it can be done then I would have no problem with the piece welded.
Mat
Old 03-04-2008, 06:08 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure Falcon does not help you fix the radiator
Old 03-04-2008, 06:24 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

alright, so I'll take the radiator to a shop tomorrow, see how that goes.

fingers crossed that its fixable.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:25 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

oh, and can anyone confirm that all rear cradles are the same for the C5? aka there are no differences btwn auto/manual and per year?

I found a cheap one on ebay...
Old 03-04-2008, 08:36 PM
mcintex
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Default I've got a radiator.

How about $150 shipped?
Old 03-04-2008, 08:38 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mcintex
How about $150 shipped?
let me see if i can get this one fixed. If not, I'll definitely take you up on that deal.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:26 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

I'd definitely recommend replacing the rad. As mentioned above, the repair just closes off one tube, and the shops I've dealt with vatted the radiator to strip off the paint. That also erodes the metal, which can lead to more pinholes, etc.

Especially if Mitch has one for you in good shape (get out the Zaino, Mitch!) for $150, that sounds like an attractive route (assuming shipping isn't $1000).

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-05-2008, 01:09 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't reuse that crandle. Just buy a new one, or a new used one. It would most likey never break, but do you need to find out. As a welder I say don't start welding. The replacement cost is low, but the pain in the azz is high. They are the same auto and 6 speed cars. Make sure you check out the CV JOINTS too sence you will be getting very close to there.

The radiator can be a tricky thing to fix. I welded on radiators for 10 hours a day, five days a week for about a year in my younger years. Yes it can be fixed for now, but now is a good time to think about replacement, then fix yours and put it in the trailer or garbage. I hate seeing pictures of crashed cars, water doesn't work well on tires.
I would like to see the radiator at some point, because I think it maybe one of ours (I will pay shipping). I'm willing to bet, it is a crushed or cracked tube. Rock or other track marbles can kick up there and wack a tube pretty easily.

Randy
Old 03-05-2008, 06:09 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

took the radiator to a shop today, the guy just called me and said theres only 1 small hole. He's going to weld it up and pressure test tomorrow morning. Hopefully that'll get repaired no problem.

He also fixed the locating extension thing that got bent.

And I should have a new to me rear cradle coming my way soon.

Randy, I see exactly what you're saying. Things are getting a little tight in the wallet right now though, especially with all this other nonsense I have to fix. I'm definitely going to keep a close eye on it.

AND, I have 2 new hoosiers coming to my doorstep. This Hoosier contingency is the best thing to happen to NASA.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:17 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
took the radiator to a shop today, the guy just called me and said theres only 1 small hole. He's going to weld it up and pressure test tomorrow morning. Hopefully that'll get repaired no problem.

He also fixed the locating extension thing that got bent.

And I should have a new to me rear cradle coming my way soon.

Randy, I see exactly what you're saying. Things are getting a little tight in the wallet right now though, especially with all this other nonsense I have to fix. I'm definitely going to keep a close eye on it.

AND, I have 2 new hoosiers coming to my doorstep. This Hoosier contingency is the best thing to happen to NASA.

Wally,
I hear you loud and clear. I personally race on a very light weight wallet, so I understand.

Randy
Old 03-06-2008, 11:32 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

No comments on your repairs. I'll let the mechanical experts continue responding on that.

Here's a wild idea about your slide off track. Is it possible that the radiator started leaking BEFORE the slide? In fact the leaking radiator could have gotten water & coolant onto one of the rear tires and CAUSED the sliding. Have you thought about that before?

Old 03-07-2008, 01:22 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bobmoore2
No comments on your repairs. I'll let the mechanical experts continue responding on that.

Here's a wild idea about your slide off track. Is it possible that the radiator started leaking BEFORE the slide? In fact the leaking radiator could have gotten water & coolant onto one of the rear tires and CAUSED the sliding. Have you thought about that before?

doubtful, i pin the reason on my abs going out midway through the race.

plus the car wasnt getting loose anywhere.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:44 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

alright, progress and another question.

Question: Behind the right front fender, there is the PCM. To the left of the PCM there is this black vertical cylinder. What is that? It has a small hose coming from the bottom, going into a junction, then to some sort of relay/sender/sensor.

Progress: Radiators fixed and back in place. Front inner tie rod is replaced. A lot of body work has been done.

To Do: replace rear subframe and both rear hubs.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Fantastic Wally! You are really making progress.

When I got a hole in my radiator, we welded it, but I wasn't comfortable with it for the reasons Randy said, so I just got a new and rest a lot better.

BTW, I got my tire yesterday. You're right, Hoosier is our friend if you race in NASA!
Old 03-11-2008, 09:10 PM
VT
Racer

Originally Posted by wallyman424
alright, progress and another question.

Question: Behind the right front fender, there is the PCM. To the left of the PCM there is this black vertical cylinder. What is that? It has a small hose coming from the bottom, going into a junction, then to some sort of relay/sender/sensor.

Progress: Radiators fixed and back in place. Front inner tie rod is replaced. A lot of body work has been done.

To Do: replace rear subframe and both rear hubs.
Vacuum related... Not the booster, but when my Delco battery belched and destroyed the PCM and some of those hoses I lost A/C controls. Once they were patched A/C was back. So whether it is A/C specific I will leave to the experts
Old 03-11-2008, 09:23 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Falcon
BTW, I got my tire yesterday. You're right, Hoosier is our friend if you race in NASA!
I mean shoot, the hoosier rep thanked ME. I was a little confused.

Originally Posted by VT
Vacuum related... Not the booster, but when my Delco battery belched and destroyed the PCM and some of those hoses I lost A/C controls. Once they were patched A/C was back. So whether it is A/C specific I will leave to the experts
THANK YOU. I just checked my service manuals and it is indeed a vacuum tank for the HVAC controls. AKA no big deal.

Get notified of new replies

To So I'm back.. and I need more help.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:41 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

More progress:

- Body work is nearly completed. I have to say the car looks BETTER than before this little incident. I've also got neat hood pins for the trunk. bling bling.

- Rear cradle has been replaced, and bent exhaust removed. Whether I run turndowns or have time to get over axle pipes bent up is up in the air.

- Rear hubs have been replaced.

All in all these cars are TOO damn easy to work on. I could probably swap out a transmission in 3 hours now.

Barring any unforseen roadblocks, it looks like I will be ready in full force for the March NASA race.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey Wally, I'm in your "back yard" and have my stock 2004 radiator in my storage unit that I can sell to you for $125. It's in excellent condition in a radiator box ready to go. Let me know. Mike
Old 03-15-2008, 06:24 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
Hey Wally, I'm in your "back yard" and have my stock 2004 radiator in my storage unit that I can sell to you for $125. It's in excellent condition in a radiator box ready to go. Let me know. Mike
got my racin rad fixed. When i've got a little more coin I'm gonna go ahead and get a new big one. I dont think a stocker will cut it in the summer heat. Thanks though.

Quick Reply: So I'm back.. and I need more help.