Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harnesses??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 08:42 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Harnesses??

I am shopping around for harnesses for the track car I am building, and I am looking for some advice. My plan is to use these belts with a HANS device.

1. 5 or 6 point? I am using a Kirkey Intermediate road race seat and a more upright type seating position.

2. Pull up or pull down? I would like to make sure I can tighten the belts myself. The belts will be coming through the Kirkey seat.

3. Camlock or latch and link? I have a latch and link now, and it can sometimes be hard to latch because I can't see it with my helmet on. Are the camlocks easier to latch?

4. Brand. I have budgeted $500 for a set, but I am also running a little above my budget right now. I have heard all the sayings about buy a $10 helmet for your $10 head. However, does anyone have real experience to say one brand is better than another? What makes it better? Basically, will a properly installed and maintained G-force harness work as well as a Simpson/Impact/Schroth?

Thanks for the input.
Ken
Old 03-04-2008, 09:23 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Hey Ken,

I don't have a ton of experience, but here's what I do know:

1) The 6-point I have in my car now is more comfortable on the ol' jewels than the 5-point I had in my old car.

2) I've always used pull-up, but most belts you can thread either way, so it's probably not a huge deal if you pick one and then change your mind.

3) Camlock is definitely better than latch-type.

4) The 6-point Schroth I use now is specifically designed (and only legal) for use with a HANS setup. The shoulder belts are 2" rather than 3" to better fit in the tracks on the sides of the HANS. Compared to the other brands of belts I've seen/used, the Schroth hardware is very nice and I feel like it was well worth the little extra $$. I think I spent about $300 for one belt.

Good luck!
Old 03-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

my .02

1. 6-point, the jewels are important

2. My first harness had pull up lap belts and I had trouble with it because I have to pull it so far (i'm skinny). There just wasn't enough room beside the seat. new one is pull down and problem solved. Shoulder belts are always pull down unless someone else is going to be standing over you strapping you in (think formula car)

3. both of mine have been camlocks. I've used latch-link in go-cart and stuff like that, and the camlock is well for a few extra dollars.

4. My first set was made by Crow. Nice enough and worked. I've currently got a Sparco harness made by Scroth and the quality is much better. The difference is in the detail, most importantly the sub-belts are separated by a few inches instead of going together to clip into the camlock (see comment #1)
Old 03-05-2008, 06:04 AM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I think my mind is settled on a 6-point and camlock. I don't have to worry about being too skinny (I'm short for my weight) so I'm not sure about the pull up/pull down. I may look for sets that allow you to thread them either way.

Now, the big decision is the price point. I am going to shop around and see where I can find the best deals.

Thanks again.
Ken
Old 03-05-2008, 08:24 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

I have G-Force pull up, 6 point, Camlock and am very happy with them, they are fully certified and they are priced right. I have used both pull/up and pull/down in vettes and the pull/ups seem to work better in the tight quarters of the vette. JD
Old 03-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bb69
Thanks for the replies. I think my mind is settled on a 6-point and camlock. I don't have to worry about being too skinny (I'm short for my weight) so I'm not sure about the pull up/pull down. I may look for sets that allow you to thread them either way.

Now, the big decision is the price point. I am going to shop around and see where I can find the best deals.

Thanks again.
Ken
Most of the time the pull up will work out better in a vette.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:42 PM
z28cp
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One comment about Camlock versus Latch and Link.

I have actually seen a demonstration where they put a person upside down in each type of harness. The Latch and Link is nearly as easy to open when your full body weight is on it. The Camlock, however, can tend to bind and be very difficult to get open with your full body weight on it.

Just something to think about. How long do you want to be hanging upside down in your harness, with your car on fire???

DaveZ.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:33 AM
SuperSpeed
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

anyone of you guys using a harness with the stock zo6 seats? Without the hole like the sport seats?
Old 05-10-2008, 05:12 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

yeah i am wondering how good the harness work in the stock z06 c6 seats also.

thanks
Old 05-10-2008, 05:53 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSpeed
anyone of you guys using a harness with the stock zo6 seats? Without the hole like the sport seats?
Not a good option. The likely hood of your body sliding though the harness under hard stop or impact is very high with this set up

Most Car clubs will no longer allow this type of seat & harness set up. Shoulder harness must pass though the seat. PCA & BMW clubs now require seats that were designed for harnesses. Modified stock seats will not pass tech.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:35 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Not a good option. The likely hood of your body sliding though the harness under hard stop or impact is very high with this set up

Most Car clubs will no longer allow this type of seat & harness set up. Shoulder harness must pass though the seat. PCA & BMW clubs now require seats that were designed for harnesses. Modified stock seats will not pass tech.
i have seen quite a few guys with stock z06 seats running just the 6 point belts. so you think it is safer to run just the stock seatbelts until appropriate seats can be bought?
Old 05-10-2008, 08:29 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bb69
4. Brand. I have budgeted $500 for a set, but I am also running a little above my budget right now. I have heard all the sayings about buy a $10 helmet for your $10 head. However, does anyone have real experience to say one brand is better than another? What makes it better? Basically, will a properly installed and maintained G-force harness work as well as a Simpson/Impact/Schroth?
A comfortable harness makes a big difference. I spent the buck for a TeamTech JetPilot and I don't regret it in the least. The most comfortable harness I have ever strapped in to. Expensive? Yes. But way more comfortable than the G-Force or Simpsons I've had in other cars.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:36 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are using the stock seats then a sternum strap is required. Most companies sell shoulder straps with these to replace the straps that come with the harness. Or, it can be sewn on by the manufacture. Basically this is an additional latch that goes between the shoulder straps across your chest to keep the straps from sliding off of your soulder. HIGHLY recommended for stock seats at high speed events.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:39 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dvandentop
i have seen quite a few guys with stock z06 seats running just the 6 point belts. so you think it is safer to run just the stock seatbelts until appropriate seats can be bought?
Absolutely. Besides it is a moot point to argue with car clubs that wont allow the wrap around harnesses
Old 05-11-2008, 10:12 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by autoxer6
If you are using the stock seats then a sternum strap is required. Most companies sell shoulder straps with these to replace the straps that come with the harness. Or, it can be sewn on by the manufacture. Basically this is an additional latch that goes between the shoulder straps across your chest to keep the straps from sliding off of your soulder. HIGHLY recommended for stock seats at high speed events.

This is what I am using now. It works well with the B-K lap mounting points. This setup will not work well with a HANS or R3 because shoulder straps do not come across the shoulder close enough to the neck to hold the device in place correctly. That is why I am going to a race seat. Plus more and more clubs want the passthroughs. Also when using a sternum strap make sure that it is located properly so as not to choke you in the event of a crash.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:11 AM
tcmc5
Drifting

Had a major head-on collision with an immovable object while wearing a TeamTech Jet Pilot and came away without a bruise. Call Gary @ Hardbar.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll never own anything BUT a Teamtech. I have the 6 point rampak and LOVE IT!!!

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Harnesses??

Old 05-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSpeed
Ultimately, I'll get more proper seat to accommodate my Crow 6-point restraint but I ran the shoulder straps through my stock C6 seat.

Although this may not pass tech with certain organizations, I've seen several other more experienced C6 racers do it this way. Also, I may change the location of the sub strap (so it comes through the lower seat back behind me...then under my butt to the cam-lock). I realize it isn't ideal but it's a vast improvement over the factory seat belt. I'll change seats in the future but for now this works pretty well.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Originally Posted by tcmc5
Had a major head-on collision with an immovable object while wearing a TeamTech Jet Pilot and came away without a bruise. Call Gary @ Hardbar.
I use one of these with an Ultrashield Road Race Seat and unless I close the door as I get in the car I can't reach the handle to close the door..... Being planted in place will go a long way to not being tired at the end of the day. You won't be hanging on to the steering wheel and planting your left foot on the dead pedal.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:27 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Wayne O

Sub belts should come up between seat back and set bottom, not from in front of the seat bottom

Quick Reply: Harnesses??