Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first FTD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:52 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Default My first FTD!!!

After seven years of competing, I finally got my first FTD this past weekend at the first BMW autocross event out at Mineral Wells (TX). While the course was open and fast compared to just about every other venue I've read about, it had its technical sections. It started out with a 4 cone slalom, then a 180 degree pivot cone, back through the slalom, then.... well, the video tells the story.

One thing that was going through my brain while on course was to not get too aggressive (ok, it was really, "got a good start, don't screw it up!!!"). I attacked as hard as I could, but didn't try to grab that final car length of braking zone (that's where I find myself trying too hard).

Because I braked just a tad earlier than I possibly could, I got set up to be early on the gates and downshifted more comfortably. I guess that means that a perfect run would have netted maybe another half second or so on a 107.6 second run.

Here's a video of my run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vEzK1vESDU

This forum is awesome. Last week I posted a question about toe in/out for my car, and folks from all over gave me good, constructive advice. I'm sure it made a difference.

Anyway, I'll stop babbling now.

Thanks to everyone that's helped me on this forum; hopefully I've been (and will be) able to help others out as well.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-04-2008, 11:08 PM
redazz
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very smooth run .no wonder you were so fast
john
Old 03-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations!!

That was a huge autocross course ........... man everything sure is bigger in Texas.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:10 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Congrats.

Watching your video, it reminded me of my failed attempt with a "Tony Hawk" helmet cam. Cool that you had the heads up on. Otherwise difficult to watch because of the video quality.

Coolest thing of the whole video was the Whooping and yelling when you crossed the line.

Of course you have discovered one of the big secrets----slow in fast out----brake earlier, and get to the power earlier.

Now that you got your FTD. Shoot for more FTD's by a greater margin. Crush your competition.

Something tells me you got a great charge from that "FTD run". A high feeling. Enjoy it. However be careful also. Because of the "high feeling" I am going to driving almost 4 days to go from the southern tip of Florida to Los Angeles (Irvine) CA, for the Pro-Solo out there. Beware the high it makes you do crazy things.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:33 AM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Congrats...well deserved!
Old 03-05-2008, 12:44 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good news!!!

(ok, it was really, "got a good start, don't screw it up!!!") I tell myself that all the time
Golf is one other place you can hear me say that. Drive the ball 250 down the fairway, hit a 5 iron 185, 10 foot from the pin, first putt, 6 inches from the cup. One can think about many different things, but all I can tell myself on that 9.5 foot walk, "don't screw up".

Congrats again!!!
Randy
Old 03-05-2008, 01:57 AM
jlcvt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! Good job.
I’m sure it will be your first of many FTD’s to come.
By the way were you happy at the end of your run?
Old 03-05-2008, 03:36 AM
96CELT4
Burning Brakes

Congrats!

Getting FTD is always great fun. Love the excitement at the end of the video!

BTW, I noticed the tires squealing, were you by chance on street tires also.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:17 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Thanks to all; the BMW crew does a great job at putting together courses that are technical (that pivot cone was ), with some high speed sweepers and straights to get the closure rates to the next gates pretty high (brake now, Now, NOW! ).

To answer some of the questions:

1. tires were Toyo RA-1s, probably halfway through their life, running 275/305s on stock 17/18 wagon wheels.

2. Video quality: I don't know why, but Youtube really screwed up the contrast on this vid. It could be that this particular run the sun was behind a cloud, so the surface was dim but the sunlight on the clouds messed with the exposure, who knows. The rendered video (DVD quality) was much better.

3. "Slow in, fast out". Like so many things in this sport, easy to say, but very hard to get just right. For a long time I was way *too* slow on my entry; therefore the "fast out" was also slow. I used to brake in an almost "BANZAI!!!!" fashion, but last year I started adding about a half-second ramp up time to how I apply the brakes. This has smoothed things out considerably and given me more mental capacity to concentrate on the upcoming gate.

Thanks again for the kudos; I may never get an FTD again, but until the next event I'm going to savor it.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-05-2008, 09:26 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice job Mike. Congratulations.

Now get rid of those Toyo's and get some A6s and you'll be pounding the competition.

And go find Mr. Boltman or the Maxies down there and try and beat them. Next thing we'll see you at Nationals.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:33 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Congrats!

Did I see mid 70s on your heads up?

Great run very smooth & a bad *** course

Last edited by L98Terror; 03-05-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:43 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Yep, top speed was actually going into the first sweeper, just tapped the rev limiter, around 78 mph. I got into the mid 70s 3-4 more times on course.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Very cool.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:08 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I don't know how you auto-x guys do that stuff. I have watched a ton of these videos and I can't even see the cones and the way they are set up I would have no idea where to turn or apex. I see some laying down, some set up in a row...I am totally confused.

But great run!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:10 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I don't know how you auto-x guys do that stuff. I have watched a ton of these videos and I can't even see the cones and the way they are set up I would have no idea where to turn or apex. I see some laying down, some set up in a row...I am totally confused.

But great run!

That's what makes it challenging. The "laying down" cones are to help you figure out which way to go. They're called pointers. The upright cones define the course. The fun part starts when the course designer makes a course where you have optional choices, like which side to enter a slalom and therefore which side to exit.

Sometimes it's just plain confusing, which is why you walk it before you run. Like this:

Sometimes they'll even line the course to help you, like the video in my signature.

I'm still waiting for you to come try some autox. It will make you a better RR because it helps you make quick decisions in line selection while at the limits of the car.

How about we see you at corvette day at Englishtown in August. They are setting an autocross course on the e-town road course so you should be able to follow it!
Old 03-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike,

Great job at setting FTD!

I understand how difficult it is to control ones self when seeing the time show on the scoreboard.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:29 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
Something tells me you got a great charge from that "FTD run". A high feeling. Enjoy it. However be careful also. Because of the "high feeling" I am going to driving almost 4 days to go from the southern tip of Florida to Los Angeles (Irvine) CA, for the Pro-Solo out there. Beware the high it makes you do crazy things.
Nice job on FTD. I need to get out to Mineral Wells and run there, its HUGE!

I find myself driving 2 hours now to get to any autocross near me after I set FTD in my kart at a few autocrosses. Its even more addicting when you are fast.

Get notified of new replies

To My first FTD!!!

Old 03-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

congrats on FTD. That looks like a great site for an AutoX
Old 03-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
St. Jude Donor '05

Nice work!

You running SCCA this year? I just signed up for the March Event...

Last edited by Umrswimr; 03-05-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:23 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 95jersey

But great run!
Mr. Bere said it well, but I'd also point out that the eye does a better job of seeing the cones than the camera does; you have (or better have) your head swivelling back and forth finding the next sets of gates to establish the line through.

But, that *is* the challenge, to find the course through. You really, REALLY, ought to give it a try. Different groups run different types of courses. Some are mind-numbing tight and difficult, the local NCCC club gives you only 2 runs per course (what's up with that?). Here the BMW and PCA clubs run courses that have both tight and fast sections, which is what I like.

But, it's the competition that does it for me. No offense, but I would get bored running the same tracks at DEs over and over. Yes, you get more seat time; yes, you get to pass cars (and get passed by others). DEs are fun, but I *LOVE* autocrossing!

TedDBere,

As soon as I kill off these Toyos I'm headed to Hoosier/V710 land. Already got the trailer hitch gathering dust and a small utility trailer to drag everything.

CrossedFlags,

You definitely need to come out and experience Mineral Wells. The pavement is old, and we tend to make gravel, but the site is HUGE!!! I realize that I'm spoiled, but hey, as long as I recognize I'm spoiled, that's OK, right???

Red5,

Control? What control????

UMR,

Nope, don't run SCCA nor NCCC, at least not locally. As I say that, I might run an SCCA event sometime this year. I don't know what class my oil cooler would put me in (my guess would be SP?). If that's not a player, then I could replace my air filter lid (it's cut out right now) and I'd be Stock (I think). Stock suspension and Z06 shocks, so that's OK.

In any case, I love running with the BMW folks; they're just a great bunch to be with.

Thanks again for all the comments, and have a good one,
Mike

Quick Reply: My first FTD!!!