Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid Change Between HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 12:45 PM
billy25us
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Brake Fluid Change Between HPDE

I just did my first De with my new 07 (CMP w/pca). I ran hawkhp+ and Super blue race brake fluid. Brakes held up fine. My question is I am running with Nasa at Road Atlanta weekend after next, and should I flush the brake fluid. I have done DE's in the past with other cars and always changed the brake fluid but I have never ran two weekends so close to one another.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:47 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

YES Full flush right before each event. and depending on how hard you have used your brakes after each event too.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would at the very least bleed the brakes. I tend to go overboard with flushing the system. I flush the entire system before an event. With yours being so close together you a probaly fine just bleeding and getting the fluid right at the caliper out.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Mine probably gets fully changed once a year, since I am always changing pads in and out and bleed them just a little. In your case I would check how much pad is left and check the rotor. Then it would be interesting to bleed just one pump out of them, see if there is any discolored fluid. Sometimes mine have just a slight amount of dark brake fluid, I assume this is over heated or dirty fluid. You could just leave them and check after your next event, it is just nice to know. I wouldn't fully flush it.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Phil Smith
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Billy,

Hope your last session at CMP went well. I enjoyed riding with you in the new C6. It was a whole lot better than the Camero!

I would do as recommended here for brake bleed and flush until you have more track time with the car and see how it performs. VIR and RA are not as hard on brakes as CMP so you might be able to go for 2 events before changing.

Have fun at RA!

Phil
Old 03-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil Smith
Have fun at RA!

Phil
You ever coming down this way Phil?

On topic: Maybe it's my "bad braking" habits but I used to have to bleed every 2 sessions using ATE (cuz I hate mushy pedal) but tried GS610 at VIR recently and didn't have to bleed once...
Old 03-05-2008, 10:17 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Z06cool
You ever coming down this way Phil?

On topic: Maybe it's my "bad braking" habits but I used to have to bleed every 2 sessions using ATE (cuz I hate mushy pedal) but tried GS610 at VIR recently and didn't have to bleed once...
I don't think the ATE is as good as many other brands. I would bleed at the calipers and just get 2-3oz from each, maybe a bit more from the fronts.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:20 AM
Phil Smith
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Z06cool;1564410542]You ever coming down this way Phil?

Khoi,

When I get a truck and trailer! I can't take the 4 hours in the Sparco. Maybe if I get a new seat I'll make it!

Phil
Old 03-06-2008, 09:59 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Using ATE here since the Motul 600 supply dried up a few months ago. I like it. My rear DBA rotors with the heat sensitive paint markings indicated temperatures over 1166 degrees and I had NO braking degradation whatsoever. I also like the fact that one can alternate using clear to blue to clear......etc....in order to clearly see when fluid is thoroughly flushed. I do bleed between each event.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:04 AM
billy25us
Racer

Hey Phil, Thanks for the guidance and patience at CMP. The last solo went well. There was less than 10 cars on the track. I was third in line and went up front on the second lap and had the whole track by myself to work on my line. Though they did move a 07 911 Turbo up from the green group . I thought he was a Cayman since he had not ran in any of the other sessions. I could not put any distance between us on the last couple of laps and he kept closing ,I was thinking that he was the fastest Cayman in the world until he got close enough for me to see that he was cheating.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Fluid Change Between HPDE

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Change Between HPDE