Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zamp FSA-1 Helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 01:28 PM
RyanR0101
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Zamp FSA-1 Helmet?

I'm looking to get a helmet in anticipation of doing a few events this coming year. Anyone use zamp FSA-1 helmets? Are they any good? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:08 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I've got one.

It's a nice helmet. It fits me real well. The field of view is comparable to other full-face helmets I've worn.

I assume you're getting a new one - if so, it's Snell SA2005 rated, which is good for about all the sponsors/sanctioning bodies for Auto-x's and HPDE's.

Bob
Old 03-05-2008, 03:10 PM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that was timely...

as Chris on Family Guy would say "get outta my head..."

JK
Old 03-05-2008, 03:18 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

made in China
Old 03-05-2008, 04:48 PM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Shiels
made in China
Are you implying it's the mercury or lead that would be an issue?

JK
Old 03-05-2008, 04:58 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jkonkle
Are you implying it's the mercury or lead that would be an issue?

JK
no idea but if they can't make a safe 2 dollar toy I personally would not trust their helmets. Like the thread on suits I list many areas where China has failed even though there are many standards like Snell they should meet. To each there own choice in safety. From the other thread below.

would you like to take drugs from China? Would you like to feed you dog Chinese dog food? They can't make a 2 dollar toy that is safe so do you want your most prized possession your head in a Chinese helmet? Would you grab a 3M dust mask over a Chinese dust mask both rated N95? Not me! Would you like the auto body gut to use Chinese paint on your car even if it was cheaper or the same price?

You will have to ask yourself that question. How will it look in 5 years or more any cheap helmet? Will the interior fall apart? Will the rubber trim still be there? How is the visor mounted? Would you like Chinese control arms on your car?

China made bolts for steel skyscrapers. Huge probelm they were not up to the supposed specifications. Not real studies but all real failures after the fact.

Back to suits I bought a Sparco for about 1000 5-6 years ago. After many, many days at the track and being cleaned after each weekend it still looks like new. I don't even take it off between session and have done work on the car with it. Not one stich broke and it is super comfortable, Look how long (seconds) a good highly rated suit protects you and ask do you want anything less?

So my 350-400 dollar Simpson lasted 5 years before it was out of date. It cost me 80 per year and the suit 200 per year with way more years to go. What do you get for 200-250 a front set of race pads which have no value in 4-5 days? I bet I could sell my suit for 300-400 in a blink what are used pads worth? You can also sell a helmet but not to me to sweaty.

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-05-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:19 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Well....disregard my post above about liking my Zamp helmet.

I'm glad the trash is getting picked up tomorrow so I can get rid of the dayum helmet, my 5 pairs of Pilotis (yeah, I used to have a Piloti fettish, but now that I checked and they're made in Chxxx I've got to get rid of them), my 3 licensed Corvette hats (no wonder my hair is falling out - hey, how come Pipedreams can't get a license to make C6 logo stuff in the U.S. but these are made in......oh well), and my New Balance running shoes (at least my Nikes are made in Korea, so I'll keep them).

I had to quit looking at all my stuff or I'd have to get rid of about 90% of it.

Bob
Old 03-05-2008, 09:18 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I look before I buy so I am happy with my purchases. I did see some new nice Bell Helmets with slight imperfection for less than 300. I paid about 300-50 for my Simpson I paid way less for my made in US driving shoes than I see Piloti for if they are made in China.

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-06-2008 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:20 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Even though the Zamp helmet has a Snell SA2005 rating, that means that the helmets submitted for testing passed. I guess there is always a possibility that the stuff coming off the production line may not meet the same specs as what was tested.

What I would really like to know is whether or not the Snell Foundation goes back and does random checks of helmets right off the production line after the initial approval of a given manufacturer's helmet.

If China has a rep for making and distributing sub-standard stuff and some of that is proven to be dangerous or potentially deadly, I would think twice about buying. Is there a chance that this make of helmet would fail in a crash? Maybe not, but I think I would tend to trust Simpson or Bell a little bit more.

Get notified of new replies

To Zamp FSA-1 Helmet?

Quick Reply: Zamp FSA-1 Helmet?