Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roush Fenway Racing deliberately cheated said Toyota!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 04:44 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Roush Fenway Racing deliberately cheated said Toyota!

Jack Roush said the oil reservoir cap incident was mechanical failure, not for a speed advantage. (Jonathan Ferrey/Getty Images Photo) » More Photos
Any semblance of civility between rival NASCAR Sprint Cup manufacturers Toyota and Ford formally ended Friday, amid a flurry of accusations between Toyota’s Lee White and Ford team co-owner Jack Roush.

White, general manager of TRD U.S.A., Toyota’s racing arm, was quoted Friday in the newspaper USA Today as saying that Roush Fenway Racing deliberately cheated last weekend at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, where race winner Carl Edwards’s Ford was found during post-race inspection to have the lid of its oil reservoir unattached.

On Wednesday, NASCAR penalized Edwards 100 driver points, Roush Fenway Racing 100 owner points and suspended crew chief Bob Osborne for six races for the violation.

According to White, the missing lid gave Edwards’s car about 170 pounds of additional downforce. “If you have 21 percent more downforce, that’s like having 50 (extra) horsepower,” White told USA Today. “There’s absolutely something going on there where someone knew what they were doing. … I guarantee you the cover bolts didn’t fall out, because if they fall, the engine leaks and you can’t run. If you want something to fall off, you fix it so it can.”

White said he believed the car missing cover produced substantial additional downforce because Toyota had tried a similar modification during testing on the automaker’s wind tunnel in Germany.
Roush responded with a press conference at Atlanta Motor Speedway where he blasted White’s comments and insisted the oil reservoir cover came off because of a mechanical failure, not an effort to seek an advantage. “I was not complicit,” Roush said Friday morning at AMS. “Carl Edwards was not complicit and I’m gonna treat Lee White and Toyota for their accusations in USA Today today like they were an ankle-biting Chihuahua and be done with it.”

In addition, Roush read comments received via e-mail from Roush Fenway Racing President Geoff Smith. “Geoff says to me, ‘You might also say that given Lee White has admitted to testing illegal configurations. If I were in NASCAR’s shoes, I would demand to investigate any other testing they’ve done on other illegal configurations, including whether they have or not tested illegal fuels in addition to the rocket fuel they used at Daytona last year (in Michael Waltrip’s car). By the way, I think you should say we are going to test for ourselves to determine whether or not there was a competitive advantage obtained. If a test turned out that there was an advantage, it is unlikely that we will appeal anything other than the accusation that there was anything deliberately done to make the lid fall off based on recent decisions might be able to get our suspension reduced for Bob (Osborne), if we can demonstrate action other than culpability,’” Roush quoted Smith as saying
Old 03-07-2008, 05:33 PM
ctk30
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil resivor lid?

How does that affect down force
Old 03-07-2008, 05:48 PM
racerjon1
Racer

The oil tank is in some kind of housing from what I understand.. a housing that is open at the bottom, so that when you take the lid off, it releases pressure inside the car.

Jon
Old 03-07-2008, 05:50 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ctk30
Oil resivor lid?

I wondered about that too. The inside of the car is normally sealed and by having the oil reservoir off it let air flow through the bottom of the car and has been shown to create more downforce. Toyota said that they found significant downforce in their wind tunnel by removing the cap.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:50 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Oil resivor lid?

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (March 5, 2008) - NASCAR has issued penalties and fines to the No. 99 team that competes in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, as a result of rule infractions found last Sunday at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
The No. 99 car driven by Carl Edwards was found to be in violation of Sections 12-4-A (actions detrimental to stock car racing); 12-4-Q (car, car parts, components and/or equipment used do not conform to NASCAR rules); and 20-2.1J (any device or duct work that permits air to pass from one area of the interior of the car to another, or to the outside of the car, will not be permitted. This includes, but is not limited to, the inside of the car to the trunk area, or the floors, firewalls, crush panels and wheel wells passing air into or out of the car) of the 2008 NASCAR rule book. The violations were found during post-race inspection at Las Vegas Motor Speedway on March 2.

As a result, Edwards and car owner Jack Roush have been penalized 100 championship driver and 100 championship owner points, respectively. In the event the 99 team qualifies for the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup, the team will not receive the 10 bonus points for the UAW-Dodge 400 victory used for determining the Chase seeding order. Crew chief Bob Osborne has been fined $100,000, suspended from the next six NASCAR Sprint Cup Series events, suspended from NASCAR until April 30 and placed on probation until Dec. 31.

I think they will show it this week during the race some time how it is related to air flow on their cut away car. Few got pinched before about this.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:02 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

they showed it today it was a lid over the oil tank which was a triangle with 16" legs. I said above it let air escape.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Looks like today was payback time for Toyota.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:16 PM
ctk30
Pro

I can get pics of the said piece. We have a nascar in our garage right now
Old 03-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I can get pics of the said piece. We have a nascar in our garage right now
Do tell!
Old 03-09-2008, 10:04 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took these a month or so ago, but you can see the (roughly) triangular shaped oil reservoir box. Lid is off in these pix too.

Get notified of new replies

To Roush Fenway Racing deliberately cheated said Toyota!

Quick Reply: Roush Fenway Racing deliberately cheated said Toyota!