Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3/C4 rear strut rod length vs camber gain

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Default C3/C4 rear strut rod length vs camber gain

Been wondering about the effects of changing the strut rod length on the rear suspension. I'm (slowly) completing the installation of a C4 suspension onto my spare C3 frame, and I'm getting a reasonable amount of experience customizing the suspension link lengths. Given that a front suspension uses significantly different lengths of suspension links (A-arms), is there anything to be gained (in the rear) by emulating this sort of ratio, or just lengthening the rods a bit?
Thoughts and opinions are welcomed.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Mike P
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C3/C4 Suspension

Mike,

I'm sure you know this, but the C2/C3 suspension had poor camber curves that could be helped by moving the inner pickup points down off the differential. Those strut rods are fairly long already, but could certainly be made longer.

Have you drawn/made your rear suspension paper model yet? You know, little paper arms, paper knuckles, all connectied with little brass rivits or something similar. You can move the susp. up and down and watch the camber gain/loss. Also do-able on paper with pencil, or even with CAD software.

Mike P
Old 03-10-2008, 05:53 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Yes there is. GM basically stole Guldstrand's rear suspension design, but they managed to screw it up. If you take a look at Dick's suspension you'll see how much longer the links are

http://www.guldstrand.com/scripts/pr...?idproduct=138

Get notified of new replies

To C3/C4 rear strut rod length vs camber gain

Quick Reply: C3/C4 rear strut rod length vs camber gain