Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier A6 / driving to events

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 12:34 AM
CaryS
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hoosier A6 / driving to events

Hello,
I am curious if everyone is changing A6 tires at event, or what would be reasonable driving distance to change at my house and drive to event. Thanks for any input.
Cary
Old 03-08-2008, 01:00 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I don't drive more than 10 miles....

These things won't take any road damage, while they meet the DOT requirements for a street tire, that basically means nothing. Also I don't want to put the additional heat cycles on them, and finally, they pick up all of the crap on the road, and a sharp stone can easily puncture them (I've seen that happen).

A small trailer and hitch costs less than $400, if you aren't willing to do that, maybe you need to think about buying a set of less serious "dual purpose" tires that give us some lap time, but can drive to the track on and not worry about it. You need to think about A6's as the same thing as a set of real silck's, forget about that DOT stuff on the sidewall.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:32 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

reasonable distance is until just before you hit a sharp rock or other small item. I have cut a few at the track from stones.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:10 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As the others have stated, A6s are soft. Any stones or potholes may end the life of them (they do have steel belts though) by cutting down to the belts. I've taken them around the block, but any highway driving would make me think twice. At 1200 bucks a set you don't want to be ending their life prematurely.

Tire trailer is a reasonable solution, or a friend with a car. I used to have a buddy with a trailer keep them on his trailer whenever we were running together at an event. In the end those options were all pains so I opted for an open trailer and haven't regretted it for a single day.

Good luck.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:39 AM
jonparks
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I am having the same issue. I'll be driving about 20 miles each way to my local track. It will be interesting to see how that goes.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:20 AM
JaxVette
Instructor

Default A6's On The Road

If you don't cut'em, slice'em or get a flat running to and from the course you're running, the A6's will be hard as bricks in no time due to the endless heat cycling you'll be putting them through. If you've got to drive on your "competition" tires, you need to buy a tire designed for the road and track. Not a track tire like the A6's, R6's, 710's, etc. It'll be the fastest $1200 you've seen burn up in a while.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:05 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

And you don't want to drive thru any water with the A6
Old 03-08-2008, 12:18 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I drive about 150 miles each way to Sebring on R6's. No problems but you should bring air and a good tire repair kit. Just watch for standing water!
Old 03-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Racer-38
Racer

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
And you don't want to drive thru any water with the A6
before I started racing me and 4 buddies did track days at Road Atlanta about 25 miles from my house. I put on some track tires, drove to the track, did the track day and then me and my buddies went and had a couple beers and mexican at a place close tothe track. Went we went to go home, we found out it was dark and sleeting.
driving home at night on the expressway in those conditions was the scariest ride I've ever taken. Did you ever drive down the expressway at 20mph????.....and felt it was way too fast!!
Old 03-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Dave OH32
Instructor

With the cost of a set of A6's up around $1300, combined with their sensitivity to heat cycles, there's no way I would drive to/from an event on them. Sure you can, I've driven around for several days on a set of busted up/heatcycled out tires, but driving extended distances on tires whose life is so short seems like a waste to me.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:06 AM
CaryS
Heel & Toe

Hey everyone, Thanks for the input. I have 45 mile drive to event site, so driving there with A6s is out of the question. I think I will make my wife pit crew chief and her first job will be to follow me in the SUV with tires and Jack.

Thanks again,

Cary
Old 03-09-2008, 11:01 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Good choice!

I used to drive 15 miles each way to autoX with my Kumho 710's on. I think the 710's are much more forgiving that A6's as far as heat cycles go, but the damage/weather challenges are the same. I ONLY drove if there was zero % chance of weather for the whole day. You might consider adding a small tire trailer as an option too - I know several folks who've done this with great results.

Good luck!
Old 03-09-2008, 06:35 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryS
I think I will make my wife pit crew chief and her first job will be to follow me in the SUV with tires and Jack.
My wife did this for about 8 months. It got to the point where she was actually shopping for a trailer on her own, and sending me ads for local trailers for sale At that point, I basically had the green light to buy any trailer I wanted, cost being no object

Now, If I could only teach her how to replace rotors

Get notified of new replies

To Hoosier A6 / driving to events

Quick Reply: Hoosier A6 / driving to events