Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.05 per gallon for diesel!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 01:42 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 4.49 per gallon for diesel!

Fuel prices are going Three stations at 4.05 today. Looks like a HPDE will be 250 in fuel for one day and 350 for a two day event staying over

I wonder what it is in NYC?

looked on gasbuddy.com 3,89-4.59 on Long Island.

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-12-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:18 PM
KCHOTBOAT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is ony reason I sold my dually last week.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:26 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

my dooley and Excursion get 22-23 cruising at 55-60 my big flat bed gets 5 mpg like my car on track. Boating industry will collapse this year. Lucky I had my days of triple engine 36 Skaters and the like behind me. That was one MPG wide open. Now it's a new 19 Whaler with a 115 4 stroke 40 mph Large charter fishing boats will have a hard time to survive. Heating oil will be 3.90 plus. I don't think this is even the end just the beginning. I would not doubt 5 per gallon in a year. Throw in a world crisis and who knows where it could end.

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-08-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

The problem with petroleum prices is that they affect almost everything we do, not just gasoline and diesel. It's in about all products, in one form or another.

The devalued dollar is kicking our ***.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Falcon

The devalued dollar is kicking our ***.
But helping in many ways....right?

You know much more about economics than I do, Jody.
What's your take on the longterm devaluation?
(John - not hijacking ....I think it's all interrelated).
Old 03-08-2008, 02:59 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

this country will really be hurting bad soon. Your right dollar is dropping like a stone. My business masonry is affected with transportation and manufacturing uses a bunch of fuel for bricks, blocks, and wire reinforcing. Copper thru-wall flashing is through the roof as are electrical and plumbing materials.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bink
But helping in many ways....right?

You know much more about economics than I do, Jody.
What's your take on the longterm devaluation?
(John - not hijacking ....I think it's all interrelated).
Yea, it does help in many ways. Many of our products manufactured here are cheaper on the world market.

But that devalued dollar is how the oil is priced and we can see what that, along with the increase of world's demand, has done to the price.

The long term devaluation means that many foreigners will invest their more valuable currency in things here, such as real estate, and companies.

Hopefully, in the end, I'm on the advantageous side of the equation, but it's hard to know at this point when I take the Duramax down to fill it up, or when I have to write a check for the natural gas we used at the plant this month.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:30 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Cnn showed foriegners coming to buy houses in FL. Weak dollar and 30% drop in real estate vaules. Tires will go up up up! I'll be running slot cars soon.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw diesel at 3.79 here today....regular pump was 3.17 and 93 was 3.37.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:38 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

There was a report on one of the Seattle TV stations last night that said biodiesel in downtown Seattle had hit $5 a gallon.

What I don't understand is if biodiesel is not made from crude oil, why does it cost so much more than #2 diesel and why does the price of biodiesel go up right along with diesel and gasoline? Around here, biodiesel is running $.25 to $.30 a gallon higher than #2 diesel.

I'm beginning to think that biodiesel is a ripoff of the consumer. The local city bus fleets use it as do city-owned vehicles (and school buses) that have diesel motors. We, as taxpayers, are having to pay a premium for that.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Based on our dollar at par diesel in Montreal now is $4.56 for a US gallon ($1.20/liter).

Meanwhile oil companies keep making record profits....what's wrong with this picture?
Old 03-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I am waiting to hear about hoarders.

Has anyone here considered forward contracts as a hedge
for their requirements for summer travel?

Old 03-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Falcon
Yea, it does help in many ways. Many of our products manufactured here are cheaper on the world market.

But that devalued dollar is how the oil is priced and we can see what that, along with the increase of world's demand, has done to the price.

The long term devaluation means that many foreigners will invest their more valuable currency in things here, such as real estate, and companies.

Hopefully, in the end, I'm on the advantageous side of the equation, but it's hard to know at this point when I take the Duramax down to fill it up, or when I have to write a check for the natural gas we used at the plant this month.
Thanks.

I hated writing gas/elect checks for our small office building (~6000 sq ft total) last month. I'd really hate..probably throw up...writing your check. Then again, I'm sure your "shoes" are quite comfy.

Forward contracts used to be cheaper.....are they now?? I think I remember reading recently they've priced themselves closer to spot.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:32 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Miaugi
Based on our dollar at par diesel in Montreal now is $4.56 for a US gallon ($1.20/liter).

Meanwhile oil companies keep making record profits....what's wrong with this picture?
lack of competition to much consolidation.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:34 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
I am waiting to hear about hoarders.

Has anyone here considered forward contracts as a hedge
for their requirements for summer travel?

what summer travel I may be glued to the driveway
Old 03-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bink
Thanks.

I hated writing gas/elect checks for our small office building (~6000 sq ft total) last month. I'd really hate..probably throw up...writing your check. Then again, I'm sure your "shoes" are quite comfy.

Forward contracts used to be cheaper.....are they now?? I think I remember reading recently they've priced themselves closer to spot.
I buy our natural gas on forward contracts. We only buy half of our anticipated use that way so that we don't get stuck too badly one way or the other. We have some bought out as far as 15 months from now. The total bill for our natural gas will vary from $100,000 to $200,000 per month. Any unexpected increase (i.e. just after Katrina) can cripple guys like us.

With what's happening right now to the petro prices, the NG price will continue to inch up and probably never go back down and we'll just have to hope we can put part of the increase into our product or we'll make our plant into a skating rink or kart track.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:10 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Boating industry will collapse this year. Lucky I had my days of triple engine 36 Skaters and the like behind me. That was one MPG wide open. Now it's a new 19 Whaler with a 115 4 stroke 40 mph Large charter fishing boats will have a hard time to survive.
I've got twin 610hp Volvo's to feed. It's going to cost me over $2k to fill up from empty this year. I'm sure it won't be any easier to sell the boat and get something more economical either. About .5 to .75mpg.

Get notified of new replies

To 4.05 per gallon for diesel!

Old 03-08-2008, 05:12 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

My dad had a boat with twin diesels back in the mid 90's. It was nice when diesel was at or under a buck.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:17 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

My GF's neighbor is a crane operator and he robs so much fuel it's Diesel fills his 30' boat, van, car, and heating oil. He pulls up with the van and has two or three 55 gallon drums full then pulls out his pumping apparatus and fills his three 275 gallon full tanks on the side of the house. Surprised he didn't sell the one gas car he has. Cranes are big but I can't believe he doesn't get caught.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:19 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by robvuk
I've got twin 610hp Volvo's to feed. It's going to cost me over $2k to fill up from empty this year. I'm sure it won't be any easier to sell the boat and get something more economical either. About .5 to .75mpg.
Last year in the paper guy said he would rather spend 2,000 on a vacation instead of a tank of gas. He left the boat docked and sat in it. That is what he did. My 19 Whaler gets 6 mpg so 40-50 bucks I ride all day.

Quick Reply: 4.05 per gallon for diesel!