Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best pads (for me)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 03:39 AM
CraZee ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best pads (for me)

Ive done plenty of research but I want to hear opinons.

C5 zo6 h/c drive HARD on street and will make 1-2 HPDE events a year. I know there is no perfect pad for this but basically something that can stand HPDE and work well on street.

I was very impressed with the OEM c5 ZO6 pad.
Finally $$ very important. I hear only raves about carbotechs but the prices scare me a little. Anything more affordable?

Doing a rehaul this week going to pick up some DBA slotted only rotors.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:58 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

the z06 sound like the best for you but hawk hp+ are tad better but do not bite too well when it is real cold

also the pfc z pad is really good, unfortunately there is no cheap pad
Old 03-09-2008, 08:36 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by CraZee ZO6
I was very impressed with the OEM c5 ZO6 pad.

Doing a rehaul this week going to pick up some DBA slotted only rotors.
You've already answered your pad question; I'd stick with what you know.

And, if $$$ is important, why are you going with slotted only rotors? you take a hit on the "bling" scale for not being swiss-cheesed, and they won't be any better than OE rotors, which are considerably less expensive.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-09-2008, 09:03 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

C5Z06 pads are a very good choice. Better then HP+ or HPS. Dump the bling slotted rotors too. Those will scrape and eat your brake pads before their time.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Don't bother with the slotted rotors and get some Hawk HP+ pads. Slotted rotors "look" cool but are functionally challenged. Stock rotors are $30 each and Hawk HP+ are $200. The pads are just dusty.

Bob
Old 03-09-2008, 11:06 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanmer
Don't bother with the slotted rotors and get some Hawk HP+ pads. Slotted rotors "look" cool but are functionally challenged. Stock rotors are $30 each and Hawk HP+ are $200. The pads are just dusty.

Bob

HP+ pads will give you more "bite" on the track, but are still very usable on the street. But, they do dust a lot, so you have to keep after your rims to keep them clean, but the HP+ dust does come off fairly easily.

Stick with the stock NAPA rotors. They perform just fine and are inexpensive to replace.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:00 PM
CraZee ZO6
Melting Slicks

I thought slotted was best for bite.. but I will go for stock rotors. Whatever works. I dont care for bling to that point, especially in brakes.

SO HP+ or OEM ZO6 pad for me.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:22 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CraZee ZO6
I thought slotted was best for bite.. but I will go for stock rotors. Whatever works. I dont care for bling to that point, especially in brakes.

SO HP+ or OEM ZO6 pad for me.
good choice. i use stock rotors and they work great! make sure you check the veins between the friction surfaces and see that they are angled. the straight veins run hot . some guys do swear by the slotted but for $ you cannot beat stock and they last longer than slotted

haul ***!
Old 03-09-2008, 08:41 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

slots will stop better, Stock pads will not stop very well if you run it hard. Even HP+ I ran years ago were not very good. They may be better now. Driving hard at the track is way different than driving on the street hard. If you have never done it before then stock is OK. Do two successive hard 150-20 mph stops on the street and see what you have with stock pads. I guess you will have no brake ducting so that will really make them heat up fast and chunck the pads.

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-09-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:47 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John Shiels
slots will stop better, Stock pads will not stop very well if you run it hard. Even HP+ I ran years ago were not very good. They may be better now. Driving hard at the track is way different than driving on the street hard. If you have never done it before then stock is OK. Do two successive hard 150-20 mph stops on the street and see what you have with stock pads.
from what i have seen guys that go to the track couple times a year rarely hit their brakes as hard and as late as you pros!

but i have had hp+ and z06 pads fade on me but we are talking driving VERY, very fast, trying to catch those damn stock cars and 700 hp cobras!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2008, 08:55 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

That's why I told him try it on the empty street. If he feels OK with that he will never be on the brakes that hard at the track. He will be looking where to turn and going slower. Not that easy with no experience to slam the brakes at 150 mph. On second thought try from 100 then work upward. I exclude myself from all liabilities
Old 03-09-2008, 09:11 PM
wmk32
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
That's why I told him try it on the empty street. If he feels OK with that he will never be on the brakes that hard at the track. He will be looking where to turn and going slower. Not that easy with no experience to slam the brakes at 150 mph. On second thought try from 100 then work upward. I exclude myself from all liabilities
Old 03-09-2008, 09:15 PM
CraZee ZO6
Melting Slicks

yeah I have braked hard from 150 before but not successive times!!
the stock zo6 pads were good for 1 stop but I did feel fade if I did it again immediately. What do you reccomend John that will work for road coarse but can also handle street. I dont mind something that wont work or squeel cold, race pads need heat into them on a cold winter day to get working common sense and I can live with that.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:42 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

PFC 01 or Wilwood H is good and they work cold. Swap some fluid like Wilwood 610 which is good and you can get at oval speed in Massapequa. Pads are near 375-400 for a set. You will be fine on stock as you will have a bunch to learn if you have never done it before. What events are you thinking of? CVCC is good and a bargin to boot and in April.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:42 AM
CraZee ZO6
Melting Slicks

Not sure which events but my buddy JOE runs with PDA and I will probably start with him as I want him to instruct me. Poconoes event this spring...
I cant do april but im all ears to events from may to early aug.

375ish for pads front and rear? Work with stock rotors?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:58 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

You might still be able to get into the CVCC school on the north course Apr19-20 ... good place and group to start with. PM me with your email and I'll send you the app and contact info.
CCNEPA school Memorial Day weekend uses more track - faster and longer ... there's a thread here on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Best pads (for me)

Quick Reply: Best pads (for me)