Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dodge tow vehicle transmission Dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 06:38 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Dodge tow vehicle transmission Dead

Well after 109,000 miles I was changing the oil, filter and tightening the bands. Found a piece of metal. I described it to a tranny guy he said it was band clamp on a over-drive unit. I was hoping to get 125-150 on it I always serviced it as require every 30,000
Old 03-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I described it to a tranny guy he said it was band clamp on a over-drive unit.
Sorry.

Did it fail by breaking or wearing through? C4 member Pete K. might be able
to offer a second opinion and suggestions ...

Old 03-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Madkarter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your tranny problems John. There are two bands in this unit. One for 3rd gear and one for low and reverse. Both located in the pan area. What we see in your case is a broke snapring on the OD clucth in the tailhousing. If you still have OD and caught it soon enough. You can simply pull the tailhousing off and replace the snapring. Feel free to PM with any questions.

Troy
Old 03-10-2008, 08:02 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

me doing the work is not an option. Tranny still runs good with nothing wrong except split second slip only when cold. Tranny place wants 2,000 for rebuild. Piece I found was size of a match from a book of matches. Tranny guy will probably not do what you suggest Troy. probably wants to do the whole thing I imagine. I didn't check OD but will tonight I was happy to get back home.

I was trying to look at a upgraded tranny on Turbodieselregistry.com. May be throw a box on it for some more zip. I never did it before figuring I would toast the tranny. I need an exhaust also so I might go bigger there also. Looking at web sites I haven't found a listing for a complete upgraded tranny. I called Jannetry Racing in Conn. and left a message.

Don't want to really wreck it more and have the case or more hardware be destroyed. If I upgrade I guess this over-drive pump band is still the same?

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2008, 10:11 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

John,

PM me the year and last 8 of your VIN(if you feel comfortable with that)....I can talk to the guys in the trans lab and see what they think...pics of the part would help too.

Too bad you weren't closer to Michigan, all of them do side work and are extremely reasonable. They have all the specialty tools and can do the work in their sleep.

Couple of guys at work have near 700hp setups using the Gear Vendors units and really like them.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:27 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I'll be looking today to see what is available fast from vendors
Old 03-11-2008, 11:35 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Sorry to hear all that. My 2003 Dodge 3500 has 152K on it and no real issues. There was some cheap electronic part that crapped out a long time ago that wouldn't let it drop to 1st gear, but I fixed that and have had no real problems. It's never been ultra smooth, but it shifts so I'm not concerned. knock, knock

I'd say that about 50K+ of those miles are actually towing. ...somewhere between 20-27K GVW!
Old 03-11-2008, 01:53 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I had a solenoid go bad at 10,000 which messed up shifting. I do a bunch of towing at work 10,000+ and they truck loaded at times. Still can't decide if I should go for a super tranny for 3600 then pump the power up soon. I love the truck and motor.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:02 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I'm using a VanAaken power box on mine, which supposedly boosted the power to nearly 400HP and over 850 lb-ft of torque! It tows like a dream!

Zero to 60 times dropped from 11.2 seconds to 8.5 with it!!!! That's not revving it or power braking before the launch or anything. That's just me clicking a stopwatch and romping the gas! Great stuff!
Old 03-11-2008, 02:47 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Those diesels are nuts.

I watched diesel drag racing the other day on Speed.

Great idea, poor execution. When they spool up you can't see anything and the cloud and drifts over to the stands would choke anyone out of the track
Old 03-11-2008, 04:29 PM
cire96
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NoOne
Those diesels are nuts.
When they spool up you can't see anything and the cloud and drifts over to the stands would choke anyone out of the track
Bottom line is that the trucking industry lobby has protected diesels from the EPA clutches exceedingly well. That appears to be coming to an end. Look for much cleaner diesels in the future. Europe is in the lead here.
Cire

Get notified of new replies

To Dodge tow vehicle transmission Dead

Quick Reply: Dodge tow vehicle transmission Dead