Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning! Contact paper for paint protection.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:32 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Default Warning! Contact paper for paint protection.......

***Warning to anyone using contact paper to protect their paint***

Can it be buffed out?

At the track on Monday, a piece of clear adhesive contact paper which I use on my hood to prevent rock/rubber marks came off at ~140mph. It fluttered a little before it flew off, and where it slapped the paint, the clearcoat is damaged. I can BARELY feel it with my fingernail.......and in most places, cannot feel it at all.

Will something like a Porter Cable 7424 Random take it out? Or should I just take it somewhere and let them use a high-speed rotary?

Old 03-11-2008, 09:17 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure it isn't the adhesive?

I have used it for two seasons now. To date I have had no damage. Sometimes I have to use WD40 or adhesive remover to clean off the adhesive.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:34 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Originally Posted by outnumbered
Are you sure it isn't the adhesive?

I have used it for two seasons now. To date I have had no damage. Sometimes I have to use WD40 or adhesive remover to clean off the adhesive.

Yup, I'm sure. I've been using it for a few years also. I've been over it with adhesive remover, followed by paint cleaner, followed by a light buff with polish.

I think that, in this small section, the corner of the contact paper that peeled up may have gotten contaminated on the adhesive side with some fine grit dirt in VIR's nice sandy windy pit area. It's in the clearcoat
Old 03-11-2008, 09:41 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

That stinks. It was probably cooler temps? It doesn't stick too good when cold. Most likely it can be rubbed out. Just find a good detailer or painter.

Good luck.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:46 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Had same problem on my car. Several people recommended using it so I tried but when I removed it I had same looking damage. Haven't gotten estimate on cost to fix.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:55 PM
LS6Vette02
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kind of hard to tell just from a picture, but if it's not too deep into the clear coat you can wet sand it until it's smooth. Then use some rubbing compound and a high-speed buffer (like a Makita) to buff it back out. I would also use some swirl mark remover and wax afterwards. It will look like new.

You may have to go to an automotive paint store to get the proper sandpaper. I recommend 2000 grit. Good luck!
Old 03-11-2008, 11:47 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Thanks guys! I have a detailer coming by the house tomorrow, should know something then.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:14 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a recommendation....you NEED to tape the exposed edges of the contact paper with race or painters tape. This will prevent this from happening in the future. If you secure all of the edges with generous amounts of tape, it will hold and not flap around.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:43 AM
RedLS6
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Just a recommendation....you NEED to tape the exposed edges of the contact paper with race or painters tape. This will prevent this from happening in the future. If you secure all of the edges with generous amounts of tape, it will hold and not flap around.
Yup. I actually had all of the leading edges taped. I made the mistake of not taping the trailing edges thoroughly. A tear in the paper started in the trailing edge, then the damage occurred as the paper lifted at the trailing edge, then fluttered and ripped all the way to the leading edge.

I also had fresh wax under the paper, which hurt adhesion, but greatly simplifies left-over-adhesive removal.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:25 PM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

You might try using a cleaning clay. The clay does take out small particles that are embedded in the paint and then polish.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:20 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the same problem with my front. I have a bra but there is a hole where the emblem is, so I tried covering it with contact paper, but it shredded and bra went back to slapping. It all has buffed out so far. Good luck with it.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:15 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RedLS6
I've been using it for a few years also.
you mean you've been using the SAME paper for a few years... waxer!!!!
Old 03-12-2008, 06:47 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Man Chris My car looks better then that and I have never used anything.

OH wait, I did put on new body parts from some strange reason

Wonder if a good clay bar rubbing and zaino or redix or rejected or rejax what ever it is called, would to the trick?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:53 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Man Chris My car looks better then that and I have never used anything.
The worst part was when the contact paper landed on the windshield of the 997 behind me Not what you want going into 14. I don't think the P-car guys liked me very much after that Damn redneck Vettes.

It took a high-speed rotary buffer, along with a very small amount of medium-grit polish, followed by some fine-grit, followed by a very fine finishing polish using a random orbital. 99% of it came out.

After:

Old 03-12-2008, 09:06 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS6
Yup. I actually had all of the leading edges taped. I made the mistake of not taping the trailing edges thoroughly. A tear in the paper started in the trailing edge, then the damage occurred as the paper lifted at the trailing edge, then fluttered and ripped all the way to the leading edge.

I also had fresh wax under the paper, which hurt adhesion, but greatly simplifies left-over-adhesive removal.
I don't put any wax on because I want the adhesive to stick. You can get the adhesive off w/ 3m ad. remover.

Glad you made out ok--I'll be more careful w/ my next outing.

Get notified of new replies

To Warning! Contact paper for paint protection.......

Quick Reply: Warning! Contact paper for paint protection.......