Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USA today article

Old 03-13-2008, 03:28 PM
kam
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USA today article

I know he doesn't drive a vette but I found this article interesting.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...2-racing_N.htm
Old 03-13-2008, 04:10 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jason Isley is a Corvette boy at heart and solo'd Corvettes for many years. He is also still a member of this board and rears his head from time to time....
Old 03-13-2008, 04:29 PM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USA TODAY ARTICLE
•Porsche. Dozens of Porsche clubs around the country offer amateur racing, says Andy Schupack, spokesman for Porsche Motorsport. Porsche offers its racers free consultations with factory engineers.
I was a bit surprised by this. I don't remember anyone telling me they got free advice from factory engineers. Oh wait, maybe that's when you by the $200K car or if you are AT the factory :-)

GM's commitment is the corvette with Z51, but seriously. We need more from GM to really make it. LG does more for the racing community that GM would...does. did.

JK
Old 03-14-2008, 07:11 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

While other programs have come and gone for the past 25 years, no one supports the grassroots racer like Mazda (hmmmmm...er....Zoom, Zoom). /:\
Old 03-14-2008, 08:28 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Hey, at least give GM some credit as they've started to become more of a player in the autocross and club racing scene. They've had a support vehicle with factory engineers and techs at the SCCA Runoffs for the past few years and extended that to the SCCA Solo Nationals last year. They've homologated the Z0K package for those interested in SS and T club racing with the Solstices. For us Vette fans, the T-1 suspension package was introduced for the sole purpose of SCCA T-1 class racing. They've had a national level contingency program for SCCA road racing. Sure I'd love to have a parts program like Mazda Motorsports and more of a contingency program, but at least they're headed in the right direction.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:36 PM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acrace
Hey, at least give GM some credit as they've started to become more of a player in the autocross and club racing scene. They've had a support vehicle with factory engineers and techs at the SCCA Runoffs for the past few years and extended that to the SCCA Solo Nationals last year. They've homologated the Z0K package for those interested in SS and T club racing with the Solstices. For us Vette fans, the T-1 suspension package was introduced for the sole purpose of SCCA T-1 class racing. They've had a national level contingency program for SCCA road racing. Sure I'd love to have a parts program like Mazda Motorsports and more of a contingency program, but at least they're headed in the right direction.
I'm standing
I'm corrected

Do the math -

Thanks for the ray of light on their programs. I've never heard of the homologated Z0K package. Is that an RPO code for stocker ordering or something you buy from Gene at gmpartshouse.com...

Of course, I have to ask, is it a great package or "just 0k"

JK
Old 03-17-2008, 08:28 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Z0K is the factory option package for a Solstice. Developed specifically for SCCA club racing. Available both on the base and the GXP. Forces deletion of any other option (no a/c, no leather, etc), so it is truly just for racers.

Solstices won SSB at the Runoffs in '06 and '07 and won T-2 at the Runoffs in '07 with the package. So I would say that it is more than "just 0k".
Old 03-17-2008, 01:48 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Jason Isley is a Corvette boy at heart and solo'd Corvettes for many years. He is also still a member of this board and rears his head from time to time....
Maybe after our daughter gets older I will be able to buy a two seater again.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:34 PM
kam
Racer

Originally Posted by RX7 KLR
Maybe after our daughter gets older I will be able to buy a two seater again.

I saw in the article that you are a past corvette owner.
Hope to have you back again.

Also hope to see you at Tirerack this summer. I know it is a long trip from CA.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:39 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

From the article:
While Mazda's program may have more participants, other automakers say they also are involved in helping amateurs:

•Ford Motor. ...
•Porsche. ...
•Honda. ...

So ... should GM get a mention for the Solstice program?

As an aside - kudos to the NCM for getting GM/Corvette people out for their HPDE series - perhaps its a step toward some GM acknowledgement (and maybe support? ) of the "radical fringe" of enthusiasts out here!

Get notified of new replies

To USA today article

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: USA today article