Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear wings and rear spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 11:55 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Default rear wings and rear spoilers

Hi guys,

On high speed tracks running C5's have you guys noticed real benefits from rear spoilers and rear wings. For those who started with rear spoilers and changed to rear wings I'd like to hear from you especially. Guys with experience at willow springs big track what about benefits on 8/9 complex?

Thanks!!
Old 03-14-2008, 12:13 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The proper products work great. Stuff on my car works real good but don't expect a huge difference by dropping a smaller splitter with no under-tray or a spoiler or junk wing. If you are getting good down-force expect to reconfigure your entire suspension. First few times I drove my car it felt like it was getting squashed to the ground. Like HP the feeling leaves and seems normal after some time. Hood and vented wheelwells also help. Air coming in the front of my car vs. a bottom breather also helps.

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-14-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
The proper products work great. Stuff on my car works real good but don't expect a huge difference by dropping a smaller splitter with no under-tray or a spoiler or junk wing. If you are getting good down-force expect to reconfigure your entire suspension. First few times I drove my car it felt like it was getting squashed to the ground. Like HP the feeling leaves and seems normal after some time. Hood and vented wheelwells also help. Air coming in the front of my car vs. a bottom breather also helps.
Vented wheelwells to the top?
Old 03-14-2008, 12:59 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Vented wheelwells to the top?
out through the top & hood and rear through the gills. Like gains of 3 & 5 hp in many areas you don't feel it. Then soon you may have 20 hp and you can feel it.

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-14-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:39 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

aerodynamic devices are not bolt on and go. They do take some tweeking to get them right.

A corvettes proper rake is the most beneficial to aerodynamics. Plus the right suspension, ride height and alignment.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:42 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Done right it is worth a lot of HP. I could have dumped more HP but HP doesn't help under braking or cornering. There are enough people who know what to do and it can be pay, bolt on and go!
Old 03-14-2008, 04:14 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Sure I get your point when you have real aerodynamics. I was more wondering about the benefits of the small 5" tall tail spoliers made of see through lexan conneted to the decklid by aluminum angle on dual use cars. Do they work to prevent rear lift? In our streetcars at sub 140mph speeds I'm not so convinced with a good CFD wing and splitter in front and flatbottom we get any true downforce but maybe a few hundred lbs? But what really makes the difference is that we have no lift of a 3000lb car! So if a cheap tail spoiler can just prevent the lift so I am a net zero that is a huge plus. If guys here have used them and say they do nothing then I guess you have to go all out with CFD wing and nose splitter to see some effect from 90-150mph. I guess that's what I am fishing for.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:23 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Falcon has a 3" lexon rear spoiler. Pointed up at 45*

He noticed that on high speed esses, VIR up hill esses, the rear of the car sticks better.

I noticed that also with my 1" spoiler
Old 03-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

Rear spoilers will produce downforce. They will help at high speed. Used them for years on the Nascar cup and tour cars. Remember that the extra force is loaded into the car behind the rear wheels, too much rear downforce can cause the front end to understeer (push for you stock car guys) so, balance front to rear should be considered also. No easy answer, you must test and see what works for you, the car, and the track..

Last edited by Racer86; 03-14-2008 at 05:14 PM. Reason: poor spelling,, old brain
Old 03-14-2008, 06:12 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

There are some good and understandable books on aero which is good reading. Sam as 3-4 gallons of gas and you always have it unlike gas.

Get notified of new replies

To rear wings and rear spoilers

Quick Reply: rear wings and rear spoilers