Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****Looking for a little help****

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Tony B4
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default ****Looking for a little help****

I have a 1lt base 2006 A6.

I am looking to improve the handling and brakes.

What i use the car for is some spritied driving and i also like to hit the 1/4 tracks.

I am getting some work done for increasing power through the 1/4. Now i know that when you increase power, i should increase the braking system too.

I am not looking to go nutts as in cost, i am trying to be conservative. But at the sametime i would like to increase the handling and braking.

Any help would be great.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:42 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to be a little more specific when you say "handling & braking". There are a bunch of hardcore track nuts on this forum, so the advice you will get here is based on serious track duty, which is like comparing apples to oranges when talking about the street. Sounds like your never going to do a track day and are mainly just doing some spirited street driving at best.

So for the street, it depends on how much power you are adding. For the street, the stock brakes and suspension are more than fine and can easily take another 50-100 hp if all you are doing is street driving (even spirited). Common sense will pay off more than any mod. A set of Brembo's and coil overs aren't going to get you much of anything on the street in my opinion but a harsh riding car with expensive bling brakes.

In all honesty, for just the street, I don't know if any brake or handling mods are ever going to show their strength as the stock systems are more than capable of stepping up to the task.

On the track, are where conditions warrant the need for such mods, as the car experiences heat and cornering forces that you will NEVER see on the street even on the most spirited canyon drives.

If you still want to do something to make you feel more confident, I would just focus on the brakes by adding high temp dot4 fluid and possibly a more aggressive set of brake pads (hawk hp), and they will be more than up to the task for what you have described.

I hope this has helped!
Old 03-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Tony B4
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 95jersey
You might want to be a little more specific when you say "handling & braking". There are a bunch of hardcore track nuts on this forum, so the advice you will get here is based on serious track duty, which is like comparing apples to oranges when talking about the street. Sounds like your never going to do a track day and are mainly just doing some spirited street driving at best.

So for the street, it depends on how much power you are adding. For the street, the stock brakes and suspension are more than fine and can easily take another 50-100 hp if all you are doing is street driving (even spirited). Common sense will pay off more than any mod. A set of Brembo's and coil overs aren't going to get you much of anything on the street in my opinion but a harsh riding car with expensive bling brakes.

In all honesty, for just the street, I don't know if any brake or handling mods are ever going to show their strength as the stock systems are more than capable of stepping up to the task.

On the track, are where conditions warrant the need for such mods, as the car experiences heat and cornering forces that you will NEVER see on the street even on the most spirited canyon drives.

If you still want to do something to make you feel more confident, I would just focus on the brakes by adding high temp dot4 fluid and possibly a more aggressive set of brake pads (hawk hp), and they will be more than up to the task for what you have described.

I hope this has helped!
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To ****Looking for a little help****

Quick Reply: ****Looking for a little help****