Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Take two minutes to tell (BITCH) ALMS what you think of their coverage.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 07:35 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Take two minutes to tell (BITCH) ALMS what you think of their coverage.

I was disappointed with coverage of the few LMP1 & 2 cars. Some mention of the top two GT-2 cars and little else. People like LG, Ford GT, Viper in cars we can really relate to do not get a mention. People get sponsors and spend millions and don't even get a mention. I may have missed something but saw or heard a few seconds on new teams like LGM. NASCAR has enough brains to mention and cover all teams even if the are leaving the track with a failure or back in the pack fighting for a spot.

The organizations below control the coverage of the races,

http://www.americanlemans.com/series/contact.aspx

http://www.speedtv.com/feedback/

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-17-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

With all the air time you would have thought they would have gone deep into the feilds to cover it all.

Constantly covering just the top few teams is incomplete and often boring. I watched a lot of the coverage and thought I heard Dorsey say something about LGM once. I think coverage jumped to something else and he didn't get to finish what he was going to say.

Did they even mention anything about the new effort for Corvette in GT2?

BTW: I'm sure ALMS has a lot of input but it's SPEED that is maily to blame.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I sent my negative comments to both about their coverage (or lack there of) of this and future events....not sure if it will do any good but it sure felt good giving them crap for their extensive P1 & P2 coverage and almost nothing about the GT2 class.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:23 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

if it doesn't work it's 5 minutes lost both emails but you know you tried,
Old 03-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Purerock105
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Not only is it lacking its not entertaining or informative.

The event is for 4 days...SpeedTv could have done 'profile' features on EVERY team on site and then played them during the course of the broadcast.

They glossed over the fact that a Ford GT, and a Viper were running GT2, not to mention LG's Corvette effort.

I'm glad I was there watching the ENTIRE event live on-site than what Speed led you to believe was happening on the track.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:58 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Pretty normal - e.g., pretty horrid - coverage except for Audi and Penske... Sending my complaint to Dave DeSpain on Windtunnel...
Old 03-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

Agreed with most of the statements above,,,,, but, from what happened to me when we did Trans Am and also, P1 in Prosportscar(IMSA) you have to go find the Speedvision people and give them the info on your team and something for them to talk about. Not easy as time on race weekend is tight for a small team. We didnt have a PR person to talk with Speedvision as we were in the pits working on the car. If you wanted your car featured with onboard data and view through the window, you could rent the camera from SV for a mere $6000 per race. If you want TV coverage of your team,,,,, YOU BUY IT. Welcome to "Pro Racing"
Old 03-17-2008, 09:10 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I enjoy watching NASCAR for tips and seeing the cut away car they use.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:38 PM
GP2GP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer86
Agreed with most of the statements above,,,,, but, from what happened to me when we did Trans Am and also, P1 in Prosportscar(IMSA) you have to go find the Speedvision people and give them the info on your team and something for them to talk about. Not easy as time on race weekend is tight for a small team. We didnt have a PR person to talk with Speedvision as we were in the pits working on the car. If you wanted your car featured with onboard data and view through the window, you could rent the camera from SV for a mere $6000 per race. If you want TV coverage of your team,,,,, YOU BUY IT. Welcome to "Pro Racing"
Never understimate the power of a cute PR person who can spoonfeed the press.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:11 PM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Purerock105
Not only is it lacking its not entertaining or informative.

The event is for 4 days...SpeedTv could have done 'profile' features on EVERY team on site and then played them during the course of the broadcast.

They glossed over the fact that a Ford GT, and a Viper were running GT2, not to mention LG's Corvette effort.
I recorded the event and ended up fast forwarding through most of it.. Rant sent to SpeedTV
Old 03-17-2008, 10:37 PM
jcosta79
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I was disappointed with coverage of the few LMP1 & 2 cars. Some mention of the top two GT-2 cars and little else. People like LG, Ford GT, Viper in cars we can really relate to do not get a mention. People get sponsors and spend millions and don't even get a mention. I may have missed something but saw or heard a few seconds on new teams like LGM. NASCAR has enough brains to mention and cover all teams even if the are leaving the track with a failure or back in the pack fighting for a spot.

The organizations below control the coverage of the races,

http://www.americanlemans.com/series/contact.aspx

http://www.speedtv.com/feedback/
Let's hope ABC's coverage is better.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Uncle Sam
Instructor

On the other hand there was 10 hours of coverage of an endurance race. I remember seeing 15 minutes of the Monaco GP on Wide World of Sports and that was all the coverage given for the year! (BTW Jackie Stewart, in the Tyrell, 1971)
Old 03-18-2008, 03:28 AM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

I cant honestly say since I was at the race so it was hard for me to keep track of what was going on since I didn't have an am radio or a scanner. Most of the info I got was from the speed coverage on tvs that I walked by in the paddock area....
Old 03-18-2008, 07:48 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Sent an e-mail last year about cutting away from Sebring to go to NASCRAP practice. Might as well try again this year.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:16 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hate mail sent
Old 03-18-2008, 09:53 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

At least they covered 10 hours of the race. I think that is the most they have ever covered. It could always be worse. It's not a good way to look at things, but with Speed's track record, we ought to be thankful.

We all love LG, but we can't expect the ALMS/Speed to cover every team and unfortunately LG is still tweaking so until they get a top 3, they will probably not get much press.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:13 AM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
At least they covered 10 hours of the race. I think that is the most they have ever covered. It could always be worse. It's not a good way to look at things, but with Speed's track record, we ought to be thankful.
I'm surprised they didn't cut away to some reruns of Pinks.

I think they could get more interest if they showed more of the cars that people can relate to - Corvette, Ford GT, Viper, Porsche. You can see cars similar to that on the streets so you can identify with them. I think that is what made NASCAR so popular - they were cars that people could identify with.

I've only gone to one ALMS race and I saw corrals for Corvette, Porsche and Ferrari. I didn't see any "prototype" corrals there.

Get notified of new replies

To Take two minutes to tell (BITCH) ALMS what you think of their coverage.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:19 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SS Racing

I think they could get more interest if they showed more of the cars that people can relate to - Corvette, Ford GT, Viper, Porsche. You can see cars similar to that on the streets so you can identify with them. I think that is what made NASCAR so popular - they were cars that people could identify with.

I've only gone to one ALMS race and I saw corrals for Corvette, Porsche and Ferrari. I didn't see any "prototype" corrals there.

Exactly what I told them. Watching two guys fight for 6th is still fun to watch also. They lack technical info on the cars. When they lose sponsors because cars never got a mention see how many tune in when all classes are like GT-1
Old 03-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Gave both of them feedback. The coverage of GT1 and 2 was really poor.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:20 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SS Racing

I don't think the NASCAR folks watch because of cars, probably more to do with the drivers. But I think the real underlying reason NASCAR is so popular is that you can watch the whole race in a stadium environement (like baseball, football, basketball...)

Think about an oval, at most oval tracks you never miss any of the action, you are sitting in a big statium atmosphere with concessions like a baseball game (American style). When I go see road racing, I like to walk to the most obscure corner where there are 5 people and the nearest beer stand is 1-2 mile walk. I can't see the cars once they leave the corner and without a radio you have no idea who is leading or what is going on...watching road racing in person is more about the "atmosphere" then about actually watching the race. In an oval you can watch the entire race start to finish and have an idea of what is going on.

I showed my family a tape I made at a specific corner at VIR of a Grand AM race and they thought it was lame because you can't see the entire race. Also, 99% of people don't drive or have never driven, or will never drive a fast sports car, to even understand how cool it is to own a vette/porsche/ferrari and see one racing in a proffesional series.

I mean if none of us owned vettes or sports cars of any kind would you care to watch a bunch of rich folks drive cars you will never own? This is why I think open wheel is popular, because it is racing for the sake of racing, and the car is really not the reason you are watching...same with NASCAR.

One of the big reasons I watch racing is because I want to see an american car stick it to Europeans any way we can (no offense to our euro friends, just healthy competition).

Quick Reply: Take two minutes to tell (BITCH) ALMS what you think of their coverage.